JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
Anyone know when the 2022 model will open up for ordering and any insights to a price increase?
Sponsored

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
As someone with no inside information, vehicle ordering experience, or knowledge of model year transitions, I am guessing that any orders placed today will be 2022’s due to the estimated delivery date.

Tatcampbell

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Merc C350e waiting on RR MME Extd RWD
Occupation
Air Traffic Control Engineering Manager
Country flag
Anyone know when the 2022 model will open up for ordering and any insights to a price increase?
I asked this question of a Ford Customer Service rep last week about when the 22 models would start being built and if there would be any changes . They were unable to give any details.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mustang
Country flag
As someone with no inside information, vehicle ordering experience, or knowledge of model year transitions, I am guessing that any orders placed today will be 2022’s due to the estimated delivery date.
that would make sense, but from an ordering perspective, I wonder how it would work if you place an order for a 2021 model year, but receive something different if there are any changes at all. Technically it isn't the car you ordered. Also how would they deal with potential price differences.

Yes current order estimates are way off, but just interested to see how they will handle the issue of people putting order now, but if the 2022 begins production later. I don't imagine they would still produce 2022 and 2021 models if the 2022 is released.

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
that would make sense, but from an ordering perspective, I wonder how it would work if you place an order for a 2021 model year, but receive something different if there are any changes at all. Technically it isn't the car you ordered. Also how would they deal with potential price differences.

Yes current order estimates are way off, but just interested to see how they will handle the issue of people putting order now, but if the 2022 begins production later. I don't imagine they would still produce 2022 and 2021 models if the 2022 is released.
The model year of my ordered Mach E is nowhere on my order page, but it used to be. If I was Ford, I wouldn’t announce the 2022s until they are in production and shipping so there are less cancelled orders and no markdowns. Those who ordered early would potentially get more features than what are listed in the order page. Those who order after a new model year is announced may have to pay more.

You may have noticed there are less color options than there used to be. My guess is that the allotment of those paints for MY 2021 is used up and they won’t announce more than one replacement until the new model year is announced, another trade off for ordering now.

barryvo

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat and Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
I asked my local dealership about 2022 model year. He did not know when or if they would be announced. He had some interesting thoughts though which are close to a responses in this thread.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'm starting to think that I wouldn't mind the TEsla model of no model years, just ongoing refreshes.
Tesla has model years. If it's built in 2020, it's got a 2020 sticker on it and that's what DMV uses to identify it. Car dealers need actual model years so they don't run afoul of the law as they sell them when used.

snikt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Country flag
They have model years but also change lots of things in the middle of a year, which I don't think any other manufacturers really do. There's already been several things changed for 2021 since they started coming out in late 2020

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
I would agree.

For that matter, can dealerships still accept and submit orders today? Or does the website create a reservation that will not be converted to an actual order until later when MY2022 information is solidified?

Since Ford knows the number of Mach-E units they can produce over a period of time, it seems to me that they could carefully manage the process of allowing people to convert reservations to orders so as to avoid this. But are they actually doing that? I don't know.

Reserving a Mach-E based on the MY2021 information available today and later having to make changes when the assembly plant switches to MY2022 would still not be an ideal user experience. But it would be better than letting the dealership accept the order and put it through (even with no build date assigned) only to have to tell the customer - "Oops! Sorry, we didn't realize this ahead of time, but there's no way we ever could have built the car you ordered to begin with. Please try again."

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
They have model years but also change lots of things in the middle of a year, which I don't think any other manufacturers really do. There's already been several things changed for 2021 since they started coming out in late 2020
There are good reasons other manufacturers don't do that.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
So the first '21 GT's deliver in maybe late September and on. So at what point do they become 22's? Two months later? Seems kind of silly.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So the first '21 GT's deliver in maybe late September and on. So at what point do they become 22's? Two months later? Seems kind of silly.
While I agree that introducing a new model to the lineup this late in the model year isn't the best timing, as someone who has one of those MY21 GT's coming, I am glad they decided not to just push them all off until MY22. :)

Regarding the delivery timing, early September or even late August are still theoretically possible. It all depends on how long they decide to keep them in their possession for QA and testing purposes. Right now, based on non-GT timelines, it looks like a six week turn-around from the time it rolls out of assembly to the time it reaches owner hands is not out the question. So I'm staying optimistic. :)

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
While I agree that introducing a new model to the lineup this late in the model year isn't the best timing, as someone who has one of those MY21 GT's coming, I am glad they decided not to just push them all off until MY22. :)

Regarding the delivery timing, early September or even late August are still theoretically possible. It all depends on how long they decide to keep them in their possession for QA and testing purposes. Right now, based on non-GT timelines, it looks like a six week turn-around from the time it rolls out of assembly to the time it reaches owner hands is not out the question. So I'm staying optimistic. :)
They will deliver a few like they did in December last year, but most will be Sept-October at best, based on the reality of what is going on with even the current deliveries. Realistically more like 8 weeks from build, aside from a few closer shipping stops.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They will deliver a few like they did in December last year, but most will be Sept-October at best, based on the reality of what is going on with even the current deliveries. Realistically more like 8 weeks from build, aside from a few closer shipping stops.
That works too! Maybe I'll be one of the lucky first. Probably not, but I do have a 7/4 build week so I've already cleared the hurdle of being one of the first to go down the line. I know the realities of the situation, and I hear you on all that, but I am remaining optimistic for now. Don't let me down and delay it two months Ford! (knocking on wood) :)
Sponsored