Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
My 23 has accelerated on its own a couple of times but not full throttle. In both cases I had pulled out of a parking space and was driving down the lane. I use 1PD and my foot was off the accelerator pedal when instead of slow the car started to accelerate. I just jammed on the brakes after which it was fine. No cruise control active.
I did this yesterday. Mine was the cruise. For the first time in my 11 months of ownership I bumped the cruise button after I had backed out of a spot and started down the parking lanes. It showed 20 mph and wasted no time trying to get there. I hit the brakes hard as well, Had traveled about 1.5 car widths in that time. Thankfully there wasn't people. I can see this happening more often than I'd like. (I don't have activation prompts turned on, which would have blocked this from happening)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

tifpwg

First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I didn't hit the cruise control.
The dealer couldn't find any issue after running multiple diagnostics. Ford did read this thread and opened a ticket with the EV team.

desiguy2447

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E Premium
Country flag
My 2023 did the same thing on Wednesday this week and I wasn't using the cruise control. I was at my son's dentist office and I had to step out. While reversing the car, and when I shifted back into drive the car did an unintended acceleration. Thankfully no car was in front me otherwise I probably would of hit them from behind. Thankfully I was able to hit the break pedal with in a few seconds.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Realize when 'Drive mode unavailable' happens and you usually drive in Whisper it kicks to Engage, which does accelerate faster at the same pedal pressure. I'm not saying this happened but it could. I've gotten the drive mode message hours into a drive and sometimes a minute.

OP
OP

tifpwg

First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My 2023 did the same thing on Wednesday this week and I wasn't using the cruise control. I was at my son's dentist office and I had to step out. While reversing the car, and when I shifted back into drive the car did an unintended acceleration. Thankfully no car was in front me otherwise I probably would of hit them from behind. Thankfully I was able to hit the break pedal with in a few seconds.
I'm sorry that happened to you. I know how scary it was for me! At least I know I'm not the only one.

OP
OP

tifpwg

First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Realize when 'Drive mode unavailable' happens and you usually drive in Whisper it kicks to Engage, which does accelerate faster at the same pedal pressure. I'm not saying this happened but it could. I've gotten the drive mode message hours into a drive and sometimes a minute.
I don't ever drive in Whisper mode. I haven't received that message "drive mode unavailable". When have you experienced it?

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I don't ever drive in Whisper mode. I haven't received that message "drive mode unavailable". When have you experienced it?
Probably had it happen 15+ times since March. Parked, backing up, making a turn, getting on the freeway, getting off the freeway in a parking lot. It'll only pop the message down from the top of the center screen for a couple seconds. I think it dismisses it's self as well. I've even had it 4 times in a 20 minute drive. No rhyme or reason either. I know it kicks out because my car will accelerate a little when it happens because I'm always in whisper.

jkovacs

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE
Country flag
In the recall notice it's said: "Ford has not issued instructions to stop driving your vehicle under this safety recall. You should contact your dealer for an appointment to have your
vehicle remedied as soon as practicable. You can continue to drive your vehicle."
Which recall is this? My wife had a similar issue (she was stopped and the car started accelerating) and the last we heard from our insurance, Ford said there was a communication sent out to all '22 owners but we never received anything like that, nor can I find any details about it. The closest thing I've found was a recall on about 400 '21s that was caused by the wrong software being loaded onto them at the factory.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach e select, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
Today I was parking on the side of a business when my Mustang accelerated full throttle. Luckily I had time to break before I slammed into the building!! There were no cars in front of me obviously so I doubt it has anything to do with the cruise control. I read there was a recall for this issue with a small number of 21-22 models. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have an appt. for service but needless to say, I'm not really comfortable driving it now!
I wonder if heavy braking can't stop it can rotating the gear dial from D to N cut the driving power off? If the driver calm enough to do so?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I wonder if heavy braking can't stop it can rotating the gear dial from D to N cut the driving power off? If the driver calm enough to do so?
Braking absolutely stops the car.

Unlike a gas powered car, we can’t send power to the motors and the brakes at the same time.

MoonRiver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach e select, 07 Infiniti G35
Country flag
From what I have read so far it seems that it all happened as they were turning the steering wheel. None happened as they were going straight.
I wounder if they were turning the steering wheel with palming method. I can see how easy it is to bump into the cruise control resume nub by palming the wheel, but some didn't have the CC on, that I don't understand.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
From what I have read so far it seems that it all happened as they were turning the steering wheel. None happened as they were going straight.
I wounder if they were turning the steering wheel with palming method. I can see how easy it is to bump into the cruise control resume nub by palming the wheel, but some didn't have the CC on, that I don't understand.
The bump turns it on.

It will only turn on and resume a speed if you hit the button and it sees cars in front of you (like a parking lot).

It can’t just be a coincidence that every time it’s people in a parking lot turning the wheel.

Ford should put better programming in place to prevent this from happening accidentally though.

Simple programming fix- that resume button only works if you’re going straight.