tjsweet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2023 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Hello,

Just looking for some advice.

On the Ford.ca website when you search for winter tires they say I should be buying: "Michelin PRIMACY A/S"

However those are All Season tires and not Winter Tires.

Costco says that the: "Michelin - X-Ice Snow" tires are EV Compatible and will work.

Are there any special considerations when buying tires for a EV or can you just slap anything on that fits the size?
Sponsored

slimothyjames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD
Country flag
I would recommend taking some time and reading up on some threads on this forum; there is one about tires/wheels.

To answer your question though, the tire you purchase needs to have an XL (Extra Load) rating to it, which is why the X-Ice is recommende by Costco. This is due to the weight of the vehicle.

If you put a tire that is the correct size, but incorrect load rating you could potentially burst it hitting a pothole, or cause delamination of the tread.

This also applies to wheels. You need to make sure any aftermarket wheel you purchase has a sufficient weight rating. You need just shy of 1600lb weight rating per wheel. The wheels I use for my winter set are rated for 1600lbs.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Not Canadian but I don't think it matters. You can definitely go with snow tires but as mentioned, the XL load rating is MUST and there aren't as many options for them in the size. There also aren't mileage warranties on most snow tires but that usually doesn't matter much. The X-Ice do have a 40k warranty from what I'm seeing which is really impressive really.

Costco seems to be making a pretty good recommendation IMO.

21st Century Pony

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E 2022 Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Try Vredesteins.

dano

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME
Occupation
Communications Engineer
Country flag
I had those same winter tires on my MME for two northern Michigan winters and they were great!

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
Maybe counterintuitive, but if you feel like it check your dealer. This time of year they start running winter tire packages specifically for the Mach-E. Last year I got a decent price on a set of General Tire AltiMax Arctic with the 19" Select wheels. General was not my first choice but they worked amazingly well in some pretty tough storms (I'm usually an X-Ice guy) and are made in Germany by Conti. Also got a bunch of FordPass points.

Dealers will sometimes run decent deals and is sometimes the path of least resistance.

But as other said, MUST be XL rated, and MUST be mounted on a strong enough rim.
Sponsored