22 MME GT Base in shop less than 1 month in

Norrin Radd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E GT (Ice Blue Silver)
Country flag
Hi everyone! Hoping for some help and/or visibility to Ford or anyone that might be able to help. We recently picked up a 22 MME GT (base) less than a month ago, after waiting for the last recall fix. The recall was announced the day before we were originally supposed to take delivery, lol. The purchase part was actually very pleasant with the original dealership, as they offered to deliver the car to us an hour and a half away without a fee. They even brought down a Lightning Platinum for us to test drive, since they knew we had a reservation in for one. Less than a month in with the MME, on a morning commute to the city, I received a "Service Vehicle Soon" light on the dash. The app showed 2 errors, but the vehicle was still drivable in I guess what is referred to as "turtle mode". The errors in the app are:

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power
High-Voltage Battery Warning

I took it into a different Ford dealership than the one we bought it from, since the original dealership was 1.5 hours away, and had no loaners (didn't want to make the wife drive that far to pick me up). The shop texted me today and I talked to them on the phone. They said it needs a "junction box", which I guess is an entirely new battery. Turns out they're backordered, of course, and the last one they had in the shop was in there for 3 months.

Any advice/tips would be extremely helpful, as I am pretty soured by this already and thinking twice about my Lightning reservation.

7B3E486B-2FFC-4911-B36A-EC862AE66D3D_1_201_a.jpeg
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No, the junction box is not the battery. The HVBJB is a part that has had some issues, and the software in your vehicle allowed you to drive it to the dealership.

You should call Ford immediately and ask for the BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) team. They will open a case, and work with the dealership to expedite the process. The part is widely available, and you should have your car back quickly. They will ensure that the dealership is ordering the newest part, not the old one that is no longer available (and refers them to the new part).

BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Advice:. Call around to other dealerships. This is not a whole new battery, it's a smallish but important part. It does require them to drop the battery to get at it though. Ask the dealerships about availability of the HVJB, there should be tons around at this point. Ask if they are EV certified. Ask if they have done this job before. Ask if they have the battery scissor lift. Don't give up on Ford. Call the Customer Service line, get in touch with the BEV team and open a case.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Ouch. When was the production date for your car? Cars that started production after May 25 should have the new design HVBJB and be less subject to this problem. Older cars have the older design and are more subject to the problem. 😱🐩

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi everyone! Hoping for some help and/or visibility to Ford or anyone that might be able to help. We recently picked up a 22 MME GT (base) less than a month ago, after waiting for the last recall fix. The recall was announced the day before we were originally supposed to take delivery, lol. The purchase part was actually very pleasant with the original dealership, as they offered to deliver the car to us an hour and a half away without a fee. They even brought down a Lightning Platinum for us to test drive, since they knew we had a reservation in for one. Less than a month in with the MME, on a morning commute to the city, I received a "Service Vehicle Soon" light on the dash. The app showed 2 errors, but the vehicle was still drivable in I guess what is referred to as "turtle mode". The errors in the app are:

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power
High-Voltage Battery Warning

I took it into a different Ford dealership than the one we bought it from, since the original dealership was 1.5 hours away, and had no loaners (didn't want to make the wife drive that far to pick me up). The shop texted me today and I talked to them on the phone. They said it needs a "junction box", which I guess is an entirely new battery. Turns out they're backordered, of course, and the last one they had in the shop was in there for 3 months.

Any advice/tips would be extremely helpful, as I am pretty soured by this already and thinking twice about my Lightning reservation.

Ford Mustang Mach-E 22 MME GT Base in shop less than 1 month in 7B3E486B-2FFC-4911-B36A-EC862AE66D3D_1_201_a
Good afternoon! Please send us a private message with your vin and Ford dealership information. I would like to look into your Mach E's warning concerns on my end.

OP
OP

Norrin Radd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No, the junction box is not the battery. The HVBJB is a part that has had some issues, and the software in your vehicle allowed you to drive it to the dealership.

You should call Ford immediately and ask for the BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) team. They will open a case, and work with the dealership to expedite the process. The part is widely available, and you should have your car back quickly. They will ensure that the dealership is ordering the newest part, not the old one that is no longer available (and refers them to the new part).
Thanks, will be calling the dealership and Ford BEV team after work. Ford did reply to this thread and asked me to reach out to them directly, which I did. Appreciate the insight!

OP
OP

Norrin Radd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ouch. When was the production date for your car? Cars that started production after May 25 should have the new design HVBJB and be less subject to this problem. Older cars have the older design and are more subject to the problem. 😱🐩
I should've looked at that before sending it into the shop. I have the window sticker page up in my browser, but it's not on there. I believe it was before 5/25, as it was a customer cancel purchase from a dealership. It must've been on the lot for a week or 2 when we saw it in the beginning of June.

OP
OP

Norrin Radd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Advice:. Call around to other dealerships. This is not a whole new battery, it's a smallish but important part. It does require them to drop the battery to get at it though. Ask the dealerships about availability of the HVJB, there should be tons around at this point. Ask if they are EV certified. Ask if they have done this job before. Ask if they have the battery scissor lift. Don't give up on Ford. Call the Customer Service line, get in touch with the BEV team and open a case.
I'll have them double check the availability, but they said the last car that had this issue was in the shop from May to August. Glad to hear it's a new part that's more readily available (hopefully). The dealership does have a MME Certified tech or 2 there, so that gives me some relief in them knowing how to fix it. Just worried they're trying to order the wrong part now. Looping in Ford and the BEV team, from feedback from some of the other awesome members here.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
By the OP it sounds like his car was part of the recall stop sale, so it did not have the recall sw when it arrived at the dealer and probably it didn't have the new part either given the speculation that sw was installed in new cars after May 25.

OP
OP

Norrin Radd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
By the OP it sounds like his car was part of the recall stop sale, so it did not have the recall sw when it arrived at the dealer and probably it didn't have the new part either given the speculation that sw was installed in new cars after May 25.
That is correct. The dealership did a stop delivery until the sw update was performed. They didn't do a final sale until we were happy with the recall resolution, but kept it on hold for us, so kudos to them.

From the shop, the build date was 1/17/22 and the release date (?) was 3/19/22.
Sponsored