Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
40amps is a decent compromise for a setup capable of 48 amps. I think it would extend the service life of the device and go unnoticed. Honestly if I needed to throw on bunches of miles with a short charge time I would not do it at home. I would just leave 30 minutes sooner and hit a DCFC in route.
Sponsored

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Charge point home flex actually does let you change the charging current with the app... It's just a different app.
I just got a CP and I had no idea this was available. Thanks! I hardwired it for 48a to future proof for a lightning but it's definitely a lot faster than I need on a daily basis.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I just got a CP and I had no idea this was available. Thanks! I hardwired it for 48a to future proof for a lightning but it's definitely a lot faster than I need on a daily basis.
Were you able to login?

Maxwells4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Select RWD + CTP, IBSM
Country flag
I didn't have much luck with that app. I tried logging in with my regular ChargePoint account, which didn't work. So I tried creating a new Service Pro account and it just pops up an error that says "False".
I did have some issues as well; I created an account to be use with the installation app first, and then when I I tried to use the user app, that account didn't work to log in; but it also wouldn't let me create an account in the user app with the sam email address, saying it was already in use. I had to create a different account with a different email.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
40amps is a decent compromise for a setup capable of 48 amps. I think it would extend the service life of the device and go unnoticed. Honestly if I needed to throw on bunches of miles with a short charge time I would not do it at home. I would just leave 30 minutes sooner and hit a DCFC in route.
Personally I don't see the need to compromise at all, really. We are probably talking about reducing the life of the EVSE by such a small amount that it wouldn't even be noticable. I am ok with replacing my EVSE on a 15 year cycle instead of a 16 year cycle.

I never want to wait for a charge and I never want to wish I had charged more quickly because of an unexpected trip. So I will continue to charge my car at the maximum rate.

Basically I am an impatient person. 😎

Last edited:

Nemy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 DMG Mach-E Premium X
Country flag
Were you able to login?
Ya. I had to create a different login than my "user" account but it worked and I was able to derate it to 40 amps.

Not sure how other EVSEs work but the CP installer app only connects to the charger by Bluetooth so it doesn't look like it can be adjusted remotely (e.g. for my wife). But that's a problem for future-me that might never come up.

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
Emporia EV Charging Station Price $499 UL Listed
  • Amperage controlled through the app
  • WiFi
  • Max gauge 6 AWG wire
  • Cost tracking in app
  • 3 year warranty
Thanks for considering our Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger! The Emporia App indeed does have a host of energy management features that we're really proud of and our customers enjoy. And paired with our Vue Energy Monitor, it can provide the most robust experience, which features like Solar Only Charging to automatically charge only when you are producing excess solar.

Please refer to this blog, especially section 5 about energy automation for more details: https://www.emporiaenergy.com/5-reasons-you-need-a-level-2-ev-charger

If you'd like to chat with our support team about your specific needs in detail, they are available via phone, chat, and email directly from our Colorado office: https://emoriaenergy.com/contact

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
We're glad to hear the Emporia Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger and Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor are working well for you!

If you have any feedback, we're here! Have you explored any of the automation features within the Emporia App?

I have the Emporia as well as all the Emporia power monitoring modules inside my circuit breaker box. So I can not only monitor the power going into the EVSE, I can monitor how much electricity various circuits in my house use. I have had no problems since I installed it about 10 months ago.

Screenshot_20220916-194406.jpg

Screenshot_20220916-194417.jpg

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
We're so glad to hear the Emporia Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger is working well for your needs with your Ford F150 Lightning EV!

Stay cool, and let us know I you have any feedback! We're excited about the Emporia V2X Bi-Directional EV Charger as well. Stay tuned!

I have the Emporia UL ($450) and electrician $300 to install.
Very good charger - shared between my wife and my Lightning.

Even in 110+ degree weather, it will still pump out 48A (11kW) consistently without any sags or dropouts.

Love mine.

Can't wait for Emporia to come out with their bi-directional home inverter system that can power my house from my Lightning.
IMG_9107.JPG

IMG_9307.JPG

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
The install looks great! If you have any questions about the Emporia Level 2 Smart Home EV Charger in meantime, our support is available via phone, email, and chat directly from our Colorado office (https://www.emporiaenergy.com/contact).

Seriously, we love talking about all things energy management and will be happy to help you get the most out of your setup.

Looking forward to your feedback when you're able to start charging!

Emporia install went well for me. Can’t speak to performance yet. The car has been delayed.

62088B5B-361B-4947-848E-0FFB86480D63.jpeg
4D32F500-6671-496A-8EE9-8662EB6F7836.jpeg

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
We're so glad to hear the Emporia Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor is helping with your energy management needs -- and helping you save on energy costs!

Was there anything extra surprising that our device and app helped you sort out? Making use of the any of the automation features?

Emporia does have the hardware available to monitor your whole house. I have 2 main panels and 5 sub panels. I like them. Buy using them I have found offending circuits and am saving about $100 a month on electricity. (Don’t ask how much I use, it’s embarrassing) Here it is in one of my main breaker box, the one with the charger.
7E26D6D4-DA77-42A8-A2DC-1DBF051DE978.jpeg

EmporiaEnergy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.emporiaenergy.com
Vehicles
Emporia EV Charger
Country flag
If the Juicebox app doesn't provide real-time and historic energy data and costs based on your utility rate schedule that you're looking for -- or if you'd like to see these metrics for your whole home and its circuits -- you can accomplish this by installing an Emporia Gen 2 Emporia Vue Energy Monitor. Jealousy averted!

Oh man.....I have a Juicebox 40, and a OpenEVSE kit (waiting to be assembled), but I'm a little jealous of the Emporia after seeing this!

PA Bob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium RWD SB
Country flag
Can you share your reason for wanting to change the amperage via the app?
I’ve had mine for 18 months, never once encountered a situation where I felt like changing amperage was necessary.
If you have another EV that can only take a lower charge amperage, you don’t have to control that manually. It’s built into the J1772 spec that any charger will only deliver the amperage request by the vehicle.
I have an example.
I have a 50a outlet so I leave my Juice Box on 40a while home. My father-in-law only has a 30a outlet at his home which I can easily access. I have to take my JB with me and dial it down to 24a or I will trip his breaker -or worse. It's a shame you can't dial down the amperage from the car so you can use the mobile charge which is already in the car.
My JB has been great. The customer support is personal (a person answers the call) and they always solve my problems. I bought mine one yr ago. At that time, it was the cheapest smart charger with 5 star reviews.
As an aside, someone came up to me who is waiting on a new MME. He asked for advice on things he might do while waiting. I told him to sign onto this forum and get some insights you won't get anywhere else.

Anthropod

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, on order 2022 Mach E Select AWD
Country flag
We're so glad to hear the Emporia Gen 2 Vue Energy Monitor is helping with your energy management needs -- and helping you save on energy costs!

Was there anything extra surprising that our device and app helped you sort out? Making use of the any of the automation features?
I think I was shocked at how little my well pump uses. That may sound odd, but I always viewed that as big power use. It is not. I didn't know anything about the pump as it is down the well, I just assumed.

I have not used the automation features. Partly because I have a heavy investment in home kit enabled products. That said, I may use those features in the future.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
.....We're excited about the Emporia V2X Bi-Directional EV Charger as well. Stay tuned!
Yes, waiting to hear when the new V2X bi-directional charger and home integration system comes out.

Would love to beta test it out with my Lightning for you if you have a prototype...
Sponsored