70%, 80%, 90%?? For those charging at home, what threshold do you use?

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium AWD X
And bingo. Adjusted the font size setting and the slider pops up. Thank you for that catch.

And now that I feel like an idiot, I am going to bed. I do appreciate getting that issue resolved though. It was bugging me. 👍
If my low tech tech works, you may see three images below that are screen shots from my Ford Pass app taken after I put the car on the mobile 110V charger this morning.
On the first one, which is essentially the opening page on the app, see a blue bar near the bottom. If you click on 'details' on your app you, after the car is charging as near as I can tell and not prior to initiating charge, you will get to what I named FP Scrn 2.
On 'screen 2' you'll see more detail of the current charge. At the top of the screen you'll see a title called "CHARGE SESSION", all caps in original (I'm not screaming ... :) ), and to the right the word 'Settings' underlined. Click on 'settings and you should get what looks like what I've named FP screen 3.
On the page I named 'screen 3' you should find a slider named (all in caps again) 'max charge level'. It's more or less in the middle. The top just shows a map with the car's current location which for our purposes here is TMI so I cut it off. The slider only seems to give levels ending in zero, for example, it wouldn't let me pick 75%, or 70 for that matter since that's where it was, so I left it on 80%. After you pick whatever level you deem appropriate, then be sure to click the big save button at the bottom. I know from experience, if forgotten, it just defaults to whatever it was, most likely 100.

I've not tried to use attachments on this forum before now. If it doesn't work, mea maxima culpa, and I hope the verbal description is at least helpful.

buona fortuna!

Open screen FP chg IMG_6753.PNG

FP scrn 2 IMG_6754.PNG

FP scrn 3 IMG_6756.PNG

KarenW

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MachE P/ERB, Nite Pony; 2019 Ford F250 XLT4x4
Occupation
Paralegal
I'm sorry can you make your font any bigger? You're not going to see half the stuff on the screen because of that.
🤣 You're hilarious! Uhm yeah, as a matter of fact, I probably could. ;) It sucks to need reading glasses and I'll say no more.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
Everything in your post is correct. However, my real world experience from what I have seen personally and in this forum does not provide a clear corelation between battery SoH and charging behavior.
I agree with what you're saying as well. However, I'm discounting what I see in the forums, because 1) people in the forum are self selecting 2) people who actually check SoH are self selecting 3) the number of data points around SoH is really really small on this forum. *Discounting*, mind you, not ignoring.

Therefore I get back to "why not do what Ford recommends?". Assuming you have home charging, Ford makes it easy. I have my home set to 85% and I press the 100% button on days when I think I'll have range anxiety to get that extra 45 odd miles. If you have LFP it's even easier.... 100% all the way baby!

So... Why not?

I have to believe Ford said it for a reason. It *could* be that reason is "everyone knows don't charge to 100%" with NMC and they didn't want to get a lot of questions. I think it's more likely they have the data that shows some benefit of 90%. After all, they changed the recommendation from 80% to 90%, right? That kinda implies they have data that shows positive effect?

I think Ford also recommends charging a few hours after driving, they don't make that easy. Nor do they make easy a charge limit when you're not someplace you've charged before ~ but there's the theory that will be definition be rare. I do Ford's "cool down" recommendation only because my rate plan has better prices at midnight and I'm usually not out that late. :p

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
Country flag
🤣 You're hilarious! Uhm yeah, as a matter of fact, I probably could. ;) It sucks to need reading glasses and I'll say no more.
I resemble that remark. :)
I leave "readers" everywhere I might be. Home, vehicles, office, kids houses....

I'm just happy for you now being able to target your SOC and go to bed in peace.
It's a great feature to take for granted now.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I agree with what you're saying as well. However, I'm discounting what I see in the forums, because 1) people in the forum are self selecting 2) people who actually check SoH are self selecting 3) the number of data points around SoH is really really small on this forum. *Discounting*, mind you, not ignoring.

Therefore I get back to "why not do what Ford recommends?". Assuming you have home charging, Ford makes it easy. I have my home set to 85% and I press the 100% button on days when I think I'll have range anxiety to get that extra 45 odd miles. If you have LFP it's even easier.... 100% all the way baby!

So... Why not?

I have to believe Ford said it for a reason. It *could* be that reason is "everyone knows don't charge to 100%" with NMC and they didn't want to get a lot of questions. I think it's more likely they have the data that shows some benefit of 90%. After all, they changed the recommendation from 80% to 90%, right? That kinda implies they have data that shows positive effect?

I think Ford also recommends charging a few hours after driving, they don't make that easy. Nor do they make easy a charge limit when you're not someplace you've charged before ~ but there's the theory that will be definition be rare. I do Ford's "cool down" recommendation only because my rate plan has better prices at midnight and I'm usually not out that late. :p
See here is where Ford does stuff that makes no sense. I can set a one-time charge limit on my Lightning. Why does the Mach-E not have that? It was a feature from day one, nearly two years ago...

As to the hours of cooldown, probably 98% of the time the battery is not hot.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You do realize when you go to sell it, the buyer will check the wear level of the battery, and give you a lower price? Battery state of health (SoH) can be read in a moment using a Bluetooth OBD2, and I predict will be the new "miles" when buying a used EV. I'd certainly pay a lot more for a 97% SoH than an 80% SoH used EV, not even close.

If you need 100% you need 100%, of course, but if you've got a NMH battery following Ford's recommendation to charge to 90% - assuming that still avoids DC fast charges - will, I predict, save you money in the long term. Why not do it?
Does anyone here know anyone who has checked their SOH either just because or if they were buying used? @bbulkow is there a link to how to check SOH? What kind of reader do you need and which software? We have forum members here who have driven a LOT of miles, some who use LOTS of DCFC, others who rarely do. It would be great to get some actual experiential data!!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Does anyone here know anyone who has checked their SOH either just because or if they were buying used? @bbulkow is there a link to how to check SOH? What kind of reader do you need and which software? We have forum members here who have driven a LOT of miles, some who use LOTS of DCFC, others who rarely do. It would be great to get some actual experiential data!!
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...e-of-health-how-much-decline-is-normal.26902/

I use a OBDII scanner and the CarScanner app. But that only works for legacy manufacturers like Ford. You can't check the SoH on a Rivian or Lucid that way.

bbulkow

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Porsche Cayman S
Country flag
Connect car scanner. It's a variable in one of the pages. Sorry, that's as far as I'm willing to go ... there's plenty of information about getting CarScanner working.

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag