A/C Turns Off at 100mph

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
So... I did a thing and wanted to, uh, you know, make sure my car really did not go any faster than 113mph, like I've read. For science, of course. Well, I had my A/C on auto, 1 "notch," and right when I would hit 100mph it would turn off. I tried it with Auto on max, 3 notches, and it seemed to actually stay on full blast and remain cold. But then when I slowed back to normal speed, the interior of the car smelled pretty weird, almost like a gas smell... any ideas on bothitems?
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So... I did a thing and wanted to, uh, you know, make sure my car really did not go any faster than 113mph, like I've read. For science, of course. Well, I had my A/C on auto, 1 "notch," and right when I would hit 100mph it would turn off. I tried it with Auto on max, 3 notches, and it seemed to actually stay on full blast and remain cold. But then when I slowed back to normal speed, the interior of the car smelled pretty weird, almost like a gas smell... any ideas on bothitems?
I’ve never seen that happen. How long did you run your “experiment” before the AC went off?

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
Neil4Real

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve never seen that happen. How long did you run your “experiment” before the AC went off?
Its instant. I went over 100mph about 6 times. 4 times with the AC on 1 notch and 2 with it on 3 notches, both auto obviously.

The first time, when I was trying to hit 113mph, I realized that it just got super hot all of a sudden and thought it was blowing hot air instead of cold. I slowed down and the 2nd time made sure I paid attention, I noticed RIGHT when I hit 100mph, the AC just cuts straight off. Rinsed and repeated, without fail it would turn off right at 100mph.

So I juiced it up to 3 notches and it stayed on what seemed to be full both times. But I noticed the very odd smell right after, seemed to give me a headache. Couldn't really put my finger on it, seemed like a burning or gasoline type smell, but I'm not sure how the speed would cause that?

Ambient temp was 72 degrees in sunny California.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Neil4Real

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Think if I smelled anything similar to burning in an EV I would stop said activity lol
Lol yeah I did after I smelled it. Just really perplexed, I’ve read about other people going that fast.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Sure it wasn’t the mildew smell of a ac thats been turned off?

OP
OP
Neil4Real

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure it wasn’t the mildew smell of a ac thats been turned off?
I have no idea on that. I’ve never experienced that smell. But it only happened when I did the full blast auto so I’d think if it were that it would have also had the smell when I did the single notch auto.

I guess it’s probably nothing. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
Sounds like it’s programmed. 100 is a round number to choose and it wasn’t a random number around 100.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
Makes me wonder, at that speed the air could be thick enough not to be pushed or pulled into the front louvers, the fan pulling could be pulling dead air. Ide like to see it in a wind tunnel but I suspect that it turns off the AC because it has to cool the battery more actively with less air. Might also explain the slow to high difference as the coils would be much cooler on high due to extra condensate forming from more air moving across the coils.

you can sorta ignore this post, but I would like to see what happens at 100mph to the air trying to get into those louvers.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
So, this sounds just like what happens when you go WOT in any ICE vehicle made after the mid-late ‘80s or so. In those cases the AC compressor is shut off under full throttle to allow maximum power for passing or whatever you’re doing. I’d assume the MME is doing this to allow the HV pack to deliver max juice to the motor(s).

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I can't say I've ever noticed my AC turning off after hitting 100mph.

Reactions: ARK
OP
OP
Neil4Real

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, this sounds just like what happens when you go WOT in any ICE vehicle made after the mid-late ‘80s or so. In those cases the AC compressor is shut off under full throttle to allow maximum power for passing or whatever you’re doing. I’d assume the MME is doing this to allow the HV pack to deliver max juice to the motor(s).
Yeah, I assumed it was to pull power, the odd part that it only did it at the lower setting but with the AC on full, it stayed on. So odd.