BigMach-E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GTPE Shadow Black 2021
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I haven't tested this since last winter, but at that time, I took a longish night drive. Was a little chilly outside, at least by California standards (45 degrees). Turning e-heat on, setting to recirc, the HVAC kept turning recirc off by itself, letting cold air back into the cabin, causing me to repeatedly turn recirc back on, and this seems inefficient at best, having to reheat up the cabin over and over again. Also, kind of irritating. I know there have been software improvements since that time, but does this still happen?

I haven't tested with similar parameters recently, so I don't know if this has been fixed, and I probably won't know until next winter.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Recirc does seem to stat on longer, but as you say, winter will be the true test. At present, mine no longer turns off on long drives when it used to after about 10 minutes.

This is just how Ford chose to do it to help reduce fogging, I guess they feel people can’t manage it for themselves.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Update your HVAC module, it seems to increase the time recirc will stay on. If the the humidity inside the cabin gets too high, the recirc may shut off to prevent window fogging.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It's winter in San Francisco. 😉 And sadly the recirc still cycles off far too often. As Lee says, if the car gets too humid, recirc gets turned off. And of course here in cold and foggy SF (today's high temp was 65° and the lowest the humidity got was 80%), recirc is constantly being turned off.

Hey @Ford Motor Company, I sure would be nice if the recirc button could go on the Home Screen at the bottom along with a status indicator!

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
If the the humidity inside the cabin gets too high, the recirc may shut off to prevent window fogging.
This. This is why turning A/C on in the winter is the best way to fix a fogged windshield. It's the dew point that's the problem.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
I think all cars i've driven in the past 15 years have this behavior where recirculation will turn off after a while.
I think it has to do with drawing fresh air and not constantly breathing the same air.
There may have been an exhaust contamination risk back then that no longer applies here but was carried over anyway...

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I think all cars i've driven in the past 15 years have this behavior where recirculation will turn off after a while.
I think it has to do with drawing fresh air and not constantly breathing the same air.
There may have been an exhaust contamination risk back then that no longer applies here but was carried over anyway...
CO2 levels from your breath can build up in the cabin without any fresh air, and that can make you sleepy if the levels get too high. You want some fresh air every so often so you don't suffocate.

Aramis76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GTPE
Country flag
CO2 levels from your breath can build up in the cabin without any fresh air, and that can make you sleepy if the levels get too high. You want some fresh air every so often so you don't suffocate.
Yep, hence the recirc turning off. It's annoying, but I always knew there was a good reason!

TD1273

First Name
Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F-350
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't tested this since last winter, but at that time, I took a longish night drive. Was a little chilly outside, at least by California standards (45 degrees). Turning e-heat on, setting to recirc, the HVAC kept turning recirc off by itself, letting cold air back into the cabin, causing me to repeatedly turn recirc back on, and this seems inefficient at best, having to reheat up the cabin over and over again. Also, kind of irritating. I know there have been software improvements since that time, but does this still happen?

I haven't tested with similar parameters recently, so I don't know if this has been fixed, and I probably won't know until next winter.
We had a 2020 Subaru Outback was same way I asked Subaru about that and they told me there program that way So I check our 2017 F350 ford operates same way on for maybe 8 - 10 minutes then off it goes

MachTee

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium Infinite Blue SR AWD
Country flag
My car stays on recirculate after an update. I *think* it was 2.8.3. It goes back to outside air after restarting the car, but it stays on recirculate while driving.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
My car stays on recirculate after an update. I *think* it was 2.8.3. It goes back to outside air after restarting the car, but it stays on recirculate while driving.
My recirc stays where I left it, even after restart.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It is not as big a deal in an ICE car that generates a lot of excess heat with just the engine running.

A BEV should have different behavior to conserve heat. I wonder if Ford just defaulted to the ICE programming. It would make sense.

A combination of A/C and E-Heat with recirculate on would reduce fogging and would probably be more efficient compared with sucking in -10 F air. But compared with sucking in 40 F air? Maybe not.
Sponsored