Active Drive Assist Driver Facing Camera...

PS71

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Country flag
  • Banned
Does anyone know how the steering wheel mounted sensor will track your eyes, if you're wearing sunglasses?

There is nothing in the manual about this sensor, other then what is on page 21:

If active drive assist is active in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an airbag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, the system may record driver attentiveness, based on the direction of eyes and duration, and photographs of the driver seat area.
Note: No data is recorded under normal driving conditions.
Sponsored

tymons

First Name
Tymon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e RWD
Country flag
Interestingly, my Mach-e SR RWD (UK version) doesn't even have the sensor. I thought all of them would have it. Oh well, I am forced to enjoy driving it myself :p

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
As said above its infrared, similar to how the iphones and windows hello unlock, be aware though, some iphones faceid dont work with raybans so that could cause some consternation. I wish the camera activated with adaptive cruise or whatever it is when its cruising down the highway. the wheel turns itself, it can see im looking ahead, why cant i take my hand off the wheel or at least it detect that my hand is resting on it. Oh well.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
Interestingly, my Mach-e SR RWD (UK version) doesn't even have the sensor. I thought all of them would have it. Oh well, I am forced to enjoy driving it myself :p
Nope, the cheap ones come without the prep package for it.

Awmustang

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Ecoboost Performance Pack, Ordered 24 i4 xDrive
Country flag
As said above its infrared, similar to how the iphones and windows hello unlock, be aware though, some iphones faceid dont work with raybans so that could cause some consternation. I wish the camera activated with adaptive cruise or whatever it is when its cruising down the highway. the wheel turns itself, it can see im looking ahead, why cant i take my hand off the wheel or at least it detect that my hand is resting on it. Oh well.
That's because they only want you taking your hands off the wheel when you are on road that have been specially mapped for Blue Cruise. Adaptive cruise and lane centering can be used without those restrictions so you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. Ford uses a torque sensor to determine your hands are on the wheel. If you are just resting your hand on the wheel and it's a long stretch of road without any curves it has a hard time feeling the resistance of your hand. It really only takes the slightest nudge of the wheel to get it to sense your hand.

ShadowCVL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, GMC Sierra, MME Premium
Occupation
IT and Electronics
Country flag
That's because they only want you taking your hands off the wheel when you are on road that have been specially mapped for Blue Cruise. Adaptive cruise and lane centering can be used without those restrictions so you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel. Ford uses a torque sensor to determine your hands are on the wheel. If you are just resting your hand on the wheel and it's a long stretch of road without any curves it has a hard time feeling the resistance of your hand. It really only takes the slightest nudge of the wheel to get it to sense your hand.

OH, okay, it was driving me nuts, there is a weekly trip I take that has about 10 miles of road that has almost no curves, with regular cruise control i just relax and keep my hand or wrist at the top of the wheel... now I know I just need to give it a nudge lol. I was trying to grip the wheel tighter and tighter.

Its so rare that I use cruise control anyway...