Advice for long trip?

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Realize I probably posted this in the wrong forum so posting this here. I will be flying to another state to pick up my MME GT Thursday. Will be an 850 mile drive home. Not sure how much the dealer will know about the car so looking for any important tips from members here. I have used several different apps to plot out charging, etc. But I have no experience with blue cruise or any other MME features that might be crucial to my trip (satellite radio setup?). Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Set up a profile in the vehicle for yourself. If you have the VIN number, you can actually do this now if you add it to the FordPass app on your phone. I think they call it "Remote Vehicle Setup."

Once you've bought the vehicle, you'll finish signing in to the car with your personal profile and then proceed to set up stuff like mirrors and seating adjustments, radio presets, etc. This way it's all in your driver profile for you.

Also set up Phone as a Key -- it lets you use your phone as an additional key. By doing this, you'll be prompted to set a backup password that you can use to start the vehicle in case you don't have any keys on you... This is pretty cool.

PlugShare and A Better Route Planner are the two key apps to have for road trips, besides FordPass.

Your vehicle probably includes some free energy on Electrify America (250 kWh? 500 kWh?) but unfortunately, it may not be available on day 1 or 2 of your purchase. You'll want to read @hybrid2bev's guide to see how to set that up, once it does show up in your account:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/how-to-enable-plug-charge-in-7-steps.3094/

If you're starting your trip back immediately upon leaving the dealership, then be sure to let them know you need it charged to 100% for you. If you're staying at a hotel that night, first, try to find a hotel that offers EVSE(s) for guests to use. You can find hotels with this in PlugShare.

Is this your first EV? If so, be aware there are two types of charge sessions:

"Level 2" AC charging (L2)... The standard used on the Mach-E is called J1772 and this is how you'll see it in PlugShare. It's for refueling the vehicle over night at home (or at a hotel), or while you're at work. That sort of thing. It's the best way to go generally speaking, but during a road trip, L2 charging is usually considered too slow for pit stops or meal breaks.

"Level 3" DC fast charging (DCFC)... For the Mach-E, this is called CCS and again, that's how you'd filter it In PlugShare. You want to look for DCFC refueling stations for mid-day stops on your road trip. This is where you can refuel from 10% to 80% in roughly 40 minutes, if the CCS station offers higher speeds -- such as Electrify America which offers 150 kWh charging stalls.

If this is your first Ford vehicle in quite awhile, you might want to check out some of Ford's How To videos to get an idea of the steering wheel controls and other Ford conventions. I've got a bunch of those videos linked from this post:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...manuals-and-web-sites-for-mach-e-owners.1660/

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
It sorta depends on the route you are taking. For most interstates in the US, you should find pretty decent coverage via Electrify America stations. Just a week ago, we made an 800+ mile trip from Ft. Collins, CO, to Vegas in one day and then made the return trip a couple of days later. That route is pretty well covered and was no problem at all.

Sign up for A Better Route Planner and try setting up your route there. It is pretty conservative, which is a good thing when you are new. You may make an extra stop or charge longer, but you can be pretty sure it won't leave you stranded.

Once you are in the car, I have found that the car's navigation is actually pretty good and it will also add the charging stops for you.

SiriusXM will likely be good to go and in the three month trial. BlueCruise is pretty easy to figure out -- give it a try and keep your hands on the steering wheel until you get used to it and the warnings it displays.

Jonathan has a lot of good info, so I won't add too much.

BTW... if you are doing the drive on Friday, Electrify America is free at most locations that day. Good timing!

If you have any other questions, shoot me a message. I can also share my contact info if you have questions while on your trip.

And above all... CONGRATS!

Rapid Ed

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Country flag
I have nothing to add to above info except to say it's probably going to be WAY less stressful than you think (unless you will be crossing a "charging desert," just prepare accordingly).

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Realize I probably posted this in the wrong forum so posting this here. I will be flying to another state to pick up my MME GT Thursday. Will be an 850 mile drive home. Not sure how much the dealer will know about the car so looking for any important tips from members here. I have used several different apps to plot out charging, etc. But I have no experience with blue cruise or any other MME features that might be crucial to my trip (satellite radio setup?). Any advice would be appreciated.
That's awesome that you're kicking off your ownership with a long drive.

My advice is download thr plugshare app and while charging, look up your next charging
spot. Read the last few reviews in particular.

OP
OP

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Thanks for all the amazing advice from everyone! I feel like I'm as prepared as I can be. Finalizing all the financing now. Flight is booked. Picking up this Thursday. Chazy, NY to Cincinnati, OH. I'll be sure to do a write up when I get it home on how the trip went. Here she is getting all charged up. Haven't been this excited for a car in a looooong time!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Advice for long trip? mache

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
As noted, starting at midnight on Friday, you'll be able to charge for FREE the entire trip, if you're still on the road (but Syracuse is not included in the free charging).

Note you'll have to find non-Electrify America charging between Plattsburgh and Syracuse. Luckily, it exists as PlugShare shows you. Make sure you sign up for any charging networks you may need.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Enjoy the trip. The in car nav is pretty good at finding fast chargers.

joebruin77

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tesla Model 3 Perf, '22 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Congrats on your new ride.

The only other thing I would add is you may want to purchase and have with you a Tesla to J1772 adapter, such as the one below. It enables you to charge your MME using a Tesla Destination Charger (Tesla's level-2 chargers). While you cannot charge your MME on the Tesla Supercharger network, you can charge your MME on many Tesla Level-2 chargers.

Some hotels only have Tesla destination chargers. Or if a hotel has both Tesla destination chargers and J1772 chargers but all of the J1772 chargers are occupied, having this adapter gives you the ability to use the Tesla level-2 charger:

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=146

or

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Char...ix=tesla+to+j1772+adapter,aps,131&sr=8-7&th=1

kkriskal

First Name
KK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Congrats and enjoy your trip. It is awesome that you are starting with a long trip right after getting the car because you will figure out and get to explore all the feature, test several things right away. I know of another lady (in this forum) who took delivery and drove around 800 miles home in a standard range battery and had no issues. She even shared an awesome review of her trip which was helpful for me. So have fun.

OP
OP

lindseybp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Space White GT
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips folks! Mapped out a plan using ABRP. Actually doesn't look bad at all from a charging perspective. (fingers crossed!). Using a lot of EA chargers on the route which seem to be among the most reliable.

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
Thanks for all the amazing advice from everyone! I feel like I'm as prepared as I can be. Finalizing all the financing now. Flight is booked. Picking up this Thursday. Chazy, NY to Cincinnati, OH. I'll be sure to do a write up when I get it home on how the trip went. Here she is getting all charged up. Haven't been this excited for a car in a looooong time!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Advice for long trip? mache
Good for you. Electron fueled road trip

She's gorgeous. She looks ready for the trip have a great time

Jes sayin. Act like a teenager. Just don't drop a lit doobie on the seats
I know we call them pre-rolls now

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips folks! Mapped out a plan using ABRP. Actually doesn't look bad at all from a charging perspective. (fingers crossed!). Using a lot of EA chargers on the route which seem to be among the most reliable.
And, you have 250 free hours with EA if you setup FordPass, as noted.