Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
THAT... is an excellent question. Even without the trailer, the Lightning is long enough to foul up most of the places at which I've charged.

Charging architecture didn't contemplate an EV at 233". By comparison, the MME is 186" and the Leaf is 176" long, almost 5 feet shorter.

Just imagine being parked in a stall and having another FOUR FEET hanging out into the parking lot for 45 minutes while you go for a meal.
That thought crossed my mind when I reserved my Lightning. Charging stations should really be laid out like petrol stationsā€¦drive-through.
Sponsored

Bryan_GTPE

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT 302A in Silver - Current
Country flag
Weā€™ll have a MachE and a Highlander Hybrid, my wife is comfortable with that, we donā€™t do road trips so thatā€™s not a concern, I expect she may get one more Hybrid (trying to see if she would get the Maverick) before we likely both go electric, but thatā€™s when the infrastructure improves and possibly next gen battery tech comes online. When we moved, we got a house with a small yard, so all those tools are electric and they work well for the size. We recently got solar, but have a stable grid, but suns out plugs in as Iā€™ve started to say and regardless if the grid is up or not, we can charge during the day since I mainly work from home now, so we would always have supply. Iā€™m still a fan of ICE, but have really become more of a fan of the instant electric torque in EVs.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Ford has set up the Lightening as a battery backup for a house, any knowledge on why the Mache can't do the same thing? Seems like a natural setup to me.
Yes. Ford just partnered with a bi directional charger company. You can buy one as well, last I knew they were $4k.
Works with any EV, I think. Limited to 7.5 kW, just like the lightning. https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger

romanservices

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GTPE, FJ Cruiser, F150 EcoBoost, F-53
Country flag
We will never be all electric, between super duty trucks, tractors, boats, motorcycles and ATV'S ill be burning liquid fuel for the foreseeable future.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
We will never be all electric, between super duty trucks, tractors, boats, motorcycles and ATV'S ill be burning liquid fuel for the foreseeable future.
Same here on the farm. Technology is still far away for a practical 200 hp tractor, etc.
But Iā€™d love to not have a single drop of liquid fuel around the house! And theyā€™ll have to hold me at gunpoint if they try to remove my nat gas range that I cook with!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
Oh... I forgot. I mow 2 acres with a 27hp commercial zero turn.

By the time they make a machine that can cut 2 acres in 100 minutes I won't be mowing anymore.

Bueller

First Name
Bueller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Public Affairs
Country flag
I live on the left coast and Iā€™m not ready to go all electric and my wife is way, way off. Besides the MME, we have a Grand Cherokee and a 3/4 ton Ram Turbo Cummins diesel.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Good question. My wife has an Explorer (on lease, which expires next July). I've been thinking about an EV for her, given that she only drives 10,000 miles a year (max), and her car is taken only on one serious road trip per year. She could probably get by with Level 1 charging 90% of the time, given her short, local trips.

HOWEVER, that road trip is into northern Wisconsin, which is well beyond the frontier of any decent charging network. That's changing, but it will be another year or two before there are enough DCFC stations to make the trip doable.

I think I'm going to buy the Explorer off the lease in July; a good idea since we're WAY below the mileage limit on the lease (thanks, COVID!), order an EV at that time, and hold onto the Explorer for another 8-12 months until the EV is delivered, at which time I'll be happy to trade it in. That puts her into an EV in early/mid 2023. The only question is which EV to get (a decision for another day).

KDub

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E CA Route 1
Country flag
I love driving electric, but my wife has no interest in the planning required for road trips in an EV. I think we've found a good compromise with my MME and her RAV4 Prime. We've had the RAV4 for 3 months and 2000 miles (including a 350 mile road trip) and still have never put gas in it, so it's working out pretty well so far.
Agree with this EV & PHEV approach. Before the Mach E, I had a PHEV for 3 years and it could go 50-60 miles electric on a charge. In 3 years, I filled it up less than a dozen times. The advantage of having the PHEV, so long as it has 50+ miles range, is that 95% of your driving is covered but you still have the gas option for road trips or when you're in the cold/snow mountains (don't have to worry about drop in range). Problem right now is that there aren't enough 3-row SUV options with a PHEV besides the Volvo and BMW. Hoping more of these come to market in the next few years as we wait for our Highlander to retire.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Everything:
2017 Volt (trade in for MME)
2019 Bolt
2021 MME
Heat pump heat/air conditioner (Mitsubishi). Works great (most HVAC guys here told me it is impossible)
Heat pump water heater
10.695 solar array (charge cars directly with solar as often as possible, daytime, rotate car usage)
battery back up
critical load panel (back up)
stove/oven, clothes dryer, etc.
NO GAS line
virtually zero fossil fuels for energy ( I produce more electricity than I use)
fighting COGU (Coal Oil Gas and Utilities) has been quite a challenge, hopefully the war will be won by us sooner than later
"NUTS", he said.

In the Milky Way Galaxy there exists a small star, sometimes referred to as The Sun. Orbiting it is a (third) rock which appears to be inhabited by some carbon-based organisms. The heat engine/energy source for the planet is the Sun. It provides more energy than any and all of the organisms on the planet could ever reasonably or unreasonably use (at least for the next 1 billion years or so).

Fight the SOBs.
Make it work.
Win the war!
Save the planet.
We will be dead, but Life goes on.
And we will have had fun.
And all that rot.

Boaz_000

First Name
Boaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Occupation
teacher
Country flag
glad to hear that you are shifting to the electric household. Before buying anything we all must know about the return policy of any product we are buying. to know about return policy here I have an interesting site that explains all the return policies clearly.

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FYI - I thought the same thing but there is a "catch". For safety reasons the microinverters on solar panels automatically shut off if the sine wave from the grid isn't detected - this is to protect line workers who expect down lines to be dead. So, in order to have solar output during a power outage you need a battery backup to put a sine wave on the panel connections. Had I known that I would have sprung for a battery backup on the initial install.
20 kWh of battery with a 10 kWh inverter should cover that.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
don't forget elevation gain.... you have to lift that payload if you have a net gain on a one-way haul. Makes a significant difference that the GOM will not consider. some of the more advanced trip planners have parameters you can set combined with topo info in their mapping and range estimates.
The Rivian info coming out is showing a 62% drop in range for towing. Let's be generous and say the F150 does 200 miles. Then you have to find a way to charge with a camper sitting behind you. That just does not sound fun to me.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
This thread makes me want to knock the dust off my telescope (and convince myself I really need a 10" Dobsonian.)
I love my Nexstar 8SE. It does amazing things even in light pollution. Oh, and it runs on batteries so now this is on topic!

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
My MME will be our first BEV. I tried to get my wife to go BEV, but she got a ā€˜21 Volvo XC40 instead. She said sheā€™ll likely go BEV with her next car in ā€˜24.

Weā€™ve already converted our lawnmower and weed wackier to battery power; but leaf blowers are still ICE, unfortunately.

As for going fully electric, Iā€™m hoping to get solar panels and wall-mounted batteries someday. That would presumably account for power failures, and provide peace of mind. At this point, itā€™s just a matter of cost to get there!
Sponsored