Ambient Temperature High Warning

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone know if the FordPass app also sends you a message to plug in if it is too hot outside, or is this message displayed only within the Mach-E itself when you are driving?

If not, would be nice to get a push notification in the app too.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Does anyone know if the FordPass app also sends you a message to plug in if it is too hot outside, or is this message displayed only within the Mach-E itself when you are driving?

If not, would be nice to get a push notification in the app too.
Nothing in FordPass. That would be nice though!

For the "it's stupid hot outside you should plug in" message, I only see this on the instrument cluster, and only when shifting back to Park.
  • If you also enable the parking brake, you might miss it because the "Parking brake enabled" message seems to be higher priority.
  • If you turn off the car right away, you might miss it, because most of that display turns off as soon as you turn off the vehicle.
If you're in basement level 4 of Hellscape (like me, hi! ?), then you might get your drive modes taken away so that you can still drive and run some of the A/C. If that happens, there's no indication on the Instrument Cluster but you might notice this:
  • briefly displayed "Drive modes not available" banner at top of SYNC display
  • instrument cluster reverts to default theme which looks like Engage
  • some of the ponies stay in the stable to move buckets of water from the electronics and battery over to the radiator and back -- full acceleration is capped a bit lower than normal
  • if you try to change drive modes, "Drive modes not available" is displayed on SYNC again
  • drive modes remain disabled for the duration of the vehicle's On/Ready state; after turning the vehicle off and on they might be restored

Reactions: ARK

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Nothing in FordPass. That would be nice though!

For the "it's stupid hot outside you should plug in" message, I only see this on the instrument cluster, and only when shifting back to Park.
  • If you also enable the parking brake, you might miss it because the "Parking brake enabled" message seems to be higher priority.
  • If you turn off the car right away, you might miss it, because most of that display turns off as soon as you turn off the vehicle.
If you're in basement level 4 of Hellscape (like me, hi! ?), then you might get your drive modes taken away so that you can still drive and run some of the A/C. If that happens, there's no indication on the Instrument Cluster but you might notice this:
  • briefly displayed "Drive modes not available" banner at top of SYNC display
  • instrument cluster reverts to default theme which looks like Engage
  • some of the ponies stay in the stable to move buckets of water from the electronics and battery over to the radiator and back -- full acceleration is capped a bit lower than normal
  • if you try to change drive modes, "Drive modes not available" is displayed on SYNC again
  • drive modes remain disabled for the duration of the vehicle's On/Ready state; after turning the vehicle off and on they might be restored
Do you notice a change in the A/C performance?

Orangefirefish

First Name
SY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Buck 24, you got us beat ?.

On a related note, I'm VERY impressed with the glass roof and the heat reflection. Even in 110 degree heat the car is much cooler than expected even in direct sunlight. I have my windows tinted too, but not the roof. The seats are hot but not hot enough to burn you when wearing shorts.
In the 90’s closer to the bay here, I measured the temps on the exterior surface of the glass roof and it came out at 152 F. Good news is if you ever get stranded in a desert, you can use the glass roof as a glass cooktop. I think it will clean up real easy too ?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Do you notice a change in the A/C performance?
I think so but it's hard to say for sure. The A/C was still running, I was still getting cold air, but in my opinion it was not AS COLD as it normally is. So maybe it is degraded? Really not sure.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I think so but it's hard to say for sure. The A/C was still running, I was still getting cold air, but in my opinion it was not AS COLD as it normally is. So maybe it is degraded? Really not sure.
Could also be due to the near surface of the sun ambient temp. ????

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Could also be due to the near surface of the sun ambient temp. ????
Yes that does make it harder to know. :)

The radiator/cooling fan on my Fiesta was broken (not spinning) in the last 9 months or so that I owned that car.

So, I know what it's like to drive with no AC, or with a refrigerant leak (separate issue earlier in Fiesta's life). ... Mall-E seems to be doing better than either of those situations. :)

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
The advanced battery cooling system turned on immediately when I plugged in. I imagine that in extreme heat conditions, plugging in will not immediately charge the car, but will instead use the plugged power to run the cooling system so the battery doesn't overheat and catch on fire. Then once the battery is cool enough, charging will kick in at a trickle level to avoid overheating the battery.

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
Hopefully Ford can comment on this... I've got a trip to Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Death Valley coming up in two weeks and really some reassurance that everything is going to operate as planned!
That sounds like a road trip through hell, especially if the temps stick around 115 or more. I know, I know.... It's a dry heat... But so is my air fry oven. ?

prdude

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White w/Gray MME Prem ER RWD, 01 Miata
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
The heat rejection capacity at the condenser is definitely reduce as the outside temperature gets extreme. So yeah, you'll lose some a/c performance. But there should be plenty of capacity in the MME's a/c system to still keep you cool.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone has heard of an update to resolve the unavailable drive mode or if @Ford Motor Company has any insight on why this keeps happening? Had it happen yesterday when it was relatively low humidity and not in the upper 90s and was really surprised by that.
Sponsored