Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
This is very nice. Thank you for your time and effort, and for sharing it with us!

Works well on my Surface Duo 2 running Android 11.

One small thing is that the address can push the OTA status too far down - but the app's OTA status is sufficient. ?

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
You are not wrong. This is something that I pitched a while back. Great idea imo.
There's another one that @DevSecOps just released that's way more extensive and awesome.

Perhaps showing these efforts might convince folks there is customer interest. Owners have created an iOS widget version too...

PaaK_Android

First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e, Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Lead PaaK Android Developer
Country flag
There's another one that @DevSecOps just released that's way more extensive and awesome.

Perhaps showing these efforts might convince folks there is customer interest. Owners have created an iOS widget version too...
At the time I made my proposal, iOS didn't support widgets. This may make it easier to get approved. A big reason for the rejection was that they wanted as much consistency between the 2 sides as possible.

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
I pushed the latest changes to GitHub tonight. The main additions are some notifications for OTA updates, and low-voltage battery or TPMS warnings (others you can read in the commit logs). @DevSecOps has sent me some insights for how to get updates from the car more frequently and I'll see about incorporating them as well.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I pushed the latest changes to GitHub tonight. The main additions are some notifications for OTA updates, and low-voltage battery or TPMS warnings (others you can read in the commit logs). @DevSecOps has sent me some insights for how to get updates from the car more frequently and I'll see about incorporating them as well.
Seems refreshes are happening fairly regularly for me. In fact, I had a OBDII scanner attached and running with the car unplugged, and I got a low LVB warning from this app before FordPass notified me!

OP
OP
kennelh

kennelh

First Name
Louise and Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
J1 '21 Premium Ex RWD (Rapid Red)
Country flag
Seems refreshes are happening fairly regularly for me. In fact, I had a OBDII scanner attached and running with the car unplugged, and I got a low LVB warning from this app before FordPass notified me!
The LVB drain is actually one thing we are investigating, to be sure our polling isn't the cause. ? For now, it's advisable to not refresh very frequently.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
So... I found myself in a weird conundrum... I love the ease of use and functionality of the widget by @kennelh . But I love the design of the widget by @DevSecOps

So what did I do? I did what any ethical person would do and I stole both of their work shamelessly to make my own Frankenstein.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20220124-005515_One UI Home

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
So... I found myself in a weird conundrum... I love the ease of use and functionality of the widget by @kennelh . But I love the design of the widget by @DevSecOps

So what did I do? I did what any ethical person would do and I stole both of their work shamelessly to make my own Frankenstein.

Screenshot_20220124-005515_One UI Home.jpg
Maybe this is already in the works ???

Respectfully though, leave the UI design to me. You botched it up good ???

You know you could have just asked me for the assets, I'm here to help and anyone who wants to build upon it is welcome to.

Here's all the alerts enabled so you can get a better view:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20220124-001003~2

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20220124-001659~2

Last edited:

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Maybe this is already in the works ???

Respectfully though, leave the UI design to me. You botched it up good ???

You know you could have just asked me for the assets, I'm here to help and anyone who wants to build upon it is welcome to.

Here's all the alerts enabled so you can get a better view:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] Screenshot_20220124-001659~2
I didn't know how you implemented your door alerts.. I definitely took a different approach, but yours makes a lot of sense! Does it indicate windows as well?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I didn't know how you implemented your door alerts.. I definitely took a different approach, but yours makes a lot of sense! Does it indicate windows as well?
The windows are the circles with the door icon furthest from the car. I need to change the icon to better represent a window. The dots are door open indicators. My thought was that people are probably more likely to leave windows open vs doors so I wanted to make the window alert more prominent.

I also have native Android notifications for doors open longer than 10 minutes but that doesn't make as much sense for Windows as some people like to leave them down. But it would be easy to make a simple if statement for vehicle off and window open and 10 minutes.

The door alerts are just visual layers that i trigger on and off based on the door open variable. Same with the lock icon and many others. I have a lot of simple formulas that visually control everything:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Android Widget for Mach-E [Less Complex] markup_27138

Last edited:

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
The windows are the circles with the door icon furthest from the car. I need to change the icon to better represent a window. The dots are door open indicators. My thought was that people are probably more likely to leave windows open vs doors so I wanted to make the window alert more prominent.

I also have notifications for doors open longer than 10 minutes but that doesn't make as much sense for Windows as some people like to leave them down. But it would be easy to make a simple if statement for vehicle off and window open and 10 minutes.
Oh I see. That makes sense! I did a text based indication for the windows and doors to differentiate. I'll have to take a screenshot next time I open a door

I love the idea of a door open notification, but I didn't modify the original code beyond what was necessary for my new skin ?

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Oh I see. That makes sense! I did a text based indication for the windows and doors to differentiate. I'll have to take a screenshot next time I open a door

I love the idea of a door open notification, but I didn't modify the original code beyond what was necessary for my new skin ?
I'm working with @kennelh to bring you guys his simple app install with my styling. So stay tuned it might happen.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The LVB drain is actually one thing we are investigating, to be sure our polling isn't the cause. ? For now, it's advisable to not refresh very frequently.
Probably my situation was because of the OBDII scanner attached. It did that before I used your app also. It is pulling too much current I guess.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Probably my situation was because of the OBDII scanner attached. It did that before I used your app also. It is pulling too much current I guess.
Well maybe, but the LVB issue is something I'm actively looking into. I've purchased hardware so I can monitor the LVB directly with historical data. I was able to force the LVB alert myself by polling the car too often. Might have been a coincidence, but I would rather prove myself wrong. I do have a dash cam that runs 24/7. It might be that alone it doesn't get to that threshold but with a singular additional device it will. It's just one of those things that takes time to investigate.

If you've ever noticed in FP there's a message that says something like "this is the last data before the car went to sleep, go unlock it to refresh". My concern is that we are keeping the car awake and FordPass actually prevents that from happing by subscribing to the unlock event which is pushed by the car without user intervention.
Sponsored

Last edited: