Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
If you need help with HA just DM me. I would recommend getting a RPi4 to throw it on.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I have some spare RPi3's, but I was thinking I'd order another 4. I upgraded my NAS units from 3 to 4 and the performance difference is pretty amazing.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I dunno. TMI for me.

If I bought a car that needs this kind of monitoring, I bought the wrong car. And if it doesn't need this much monitoring, I don't need this.

Every so often I realize it's been a while since glancing at the SOC and open FP. Other than that, it's just a car.

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I dunno. TMI for me.

If I bought a car that needs this kind of monitoring, I bought the wrong car. And if it doesn't need this much monitoring, I don't need this.

Every so often I realize it's been a while since glancing at the SOC and open FP. Other than that, it's just a car.
Its a hobby for some of us. I may never do this particular thing, but I love the idea.

If its "just a car," and there is nothing wrong with that, then this just isn't for you. Some people spend $5k on a set of golf clubs....

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I dunno. TMI for me.

So let me explain a few things. The reason I originally did this was because I, and many others, can't stand the fact that we CAN NOT check FP to see if the car is locked. This was the main inspiration and I actually used a very, very simple way of doing this for months by using a default HA widget. It was that easy, no code required, but easy is boring!

Second, the way I've written the code is very easy for anyone to customize so therefore if they only want 2 data points they can remove the rest.

Third, my way of doing this opens up a word of possibilities. Here's a couple examples:
  • Notification if there's a window down when rain/snow is in the forecast
  • Notification if a door is left open for xx minutes
  • Notification if the doors are left unlocked after being closed for 10 minutes
  • Any number of notifications based on location etc for someone who has a child driving the vehicle.
I have a number of guides on here, from dashcam installs to LVB battery access to widgets. I prefer to find solutions to problems instead of complaining about them. So for me and many others developing things like this is fun and personally I can't wait to see what people do with my ideas and how they build upon them.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I've made a couple tweaks to the widget to reflect the actual image of the MME. In this version you can pick the vector line art or the solid art.

I'll be updating the file with these changes after I make a few other modifications in my to-do list.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Android MME Widget [More Complex] Screenshot_20220121-200239~2

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Android MME Widget [More Complex] Screenshot_20220121-200256~2

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
@DevSecOps this is very cool. I have built a lot of home automations in Hubitat so I guess I need to learn a new platform now. Thanks man!

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
@DevSecOps this is very cool. I have built a lot of home automations in Hubitat so I guess I need to learn a new platform now. Thanks man!
No need to learn a new one to replace Hubitat. Use HA with Hubitat and you'll get a lot more value out of HE. If you ever decide to go with HA, DM me if you need help and I'll give you my number.

So that we don't get confused:
HA = Home Assistant
HE = Hubitat Elevation

For example all of my rules that I used to have in HE I have moved into HA because I can do so much more. HA has endless possibilities for integrations and things like TTS to Alexa and Google are handled so much better in HA than in HE.

Here's an example of a notification on my EcoBee thermostat when the dryer is done drying clothes. It repeats itself every 5 minutes until someone goes and opens the dryer door to get them. All of the zwave power monitors and door sensors are from HE, but I'm using HA to run the automation:

YAML:
alias: Dryer Complete - Announce
description: ''
trigger:
  - type: power
    platform: device
    device_id: xxxxxxx
    entity_id: sensor.dryer_power
    domain: sensor
    below: 5
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 1
      seconds: 0
      milliseconds: 0
condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.dryer_running
    state: 'on'
action:
  - repeat:
      until:
        - type: is_open
          condition: device
          entity_id: binary_sensor.dryer_door_sensor_contact
          domain: binary_sensor
      sequence:
        - service: notify.alexa_media
          data:
            target:
              - media_player.todd_s_ecobee_smartthermostat_with_voice_control
            data:
              type: tts
        - wait_for_trigger:
            - type: opened
              platform: device
              entity_id: binary_sensor.dryer_door_sensor_contact
              domain: binary_sensor
              id: Dryer Open
          timeout: '00:05:00'
          continue_on_timeout: false
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off
    target:
      entity_id: input_boolean.dryer_running
mode: single
Don't think you have to write that code manually, there's a GUI. But for the sake of posting online the GUI doesn't make sense.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
For anyone monitoring this thread I've updated the MME Tasker Tasks and added 8 more tasks. I've fixed a few minor issues, updated the chargepoint icon to more visually match (which you can change to any app on your phone or remove completely), added the badge count, added charge notifications, added the ability to click on the mach-e logo to force HA to pull a refresh from the vehicle, fixed colors and made red/green circles easier to see. Lastly, I've updated the vehicle images.

All of the files on the main post are updated and there's a new task for Tasker to perform the HA refresh. I've also included another automation example for those who want to query the vehicle every 30 (or whatever interval) minutes.

Ford Mustang Mach-E [Guide] Android MME Widget [More Complex] Screenshot_20220122-160650

Last edited:

MachTri

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang mach-e AWD
Country flag
Wow! Great job @DevSecOps ! Love the UX! Where did you get the line-art and top-down view actual image?
@Carsinmyblood : Yea it's not 100% necessary. But it's also not just a car, it's a Mustang. And just like ICE Mustangs, the owners are going to want to modify them to get the most out of them. I look at this as the modern version of a dashboard with 3-4 aftermarket gages showing oil temp etc. Did anyone ever tell those guys, "well the car came with a tac engine warning light what else do you need?"
It would be great if the car company could build a car to anticipate exactly what the driver wants when they want it, like Musk envisions for his brand. Maybe we'll get there, but until then this is kinda fun.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Wow! Great job @DevSecOps ! Love the UX! Where did you get the line-art and top-down view actual image?
@Carsinmyblood : Yea it's not 100% necessary. But it's also not just a car, it's a Mustang. And just like ICE Mustangs, the owners are going to want to modify them to get the most out of them. I look at this as the modern version of a dashboard with 3-4 aftermarket gages showing oil temp etc. Did anyone ever tell those guys, "well the car came with a tac engine warning light what else do you need?"
It would be great if the car company could build a car to anticipate exactly what the driver wants when they want it, like Musk envisions for his brand. Maybe we'll get there, but until then this is kinda fun.
I had to purchase them. They are CAD drawings that I converted into SVGs.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Wow amazing work Todd. It's a bit over my head but thank you for all the work you do on here. Even tho you drink the Paak koolaid. lol. Maybe you can help Ford fix all their software issues with the MME.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Even tho you drink the Paak koolaid
There's no KoolAid being drunk. It's 100% factual that PaaK works. If you think about what's involved in PaaK here's the list:
  • The car
  • The software on the car
  • The modules on the car
  • The module firmware versions.
  • Your phone mfg
  • The bluetooth chip mfg
  • The bluetooth firmware version
  • Your phone's OS version
  • PaaK itself
Give that a moment to sink in. The problem I have with people on this forum is that they blame PaaK, the last item on the list and put no thought or effort into digging deeper.

I'm pretty confident that if I have the car and the phone present I can figure out where the issue is.

Minor issues with PaaK itself are bound to happen. I'm sure in your time owning a phone you've experienced UI crashes, your bank app froze while scanning a check, etc etc... Software doesn't always work perfect especially with over 24,000 (cited as of 2015) different Android phones.

So maybe, just maybe, you should be taking your anger out on Texas Instruments, Samsung, LG or many of the other items upstream from PaaK. Tesla forums are full of the same issues, because it's not always software at fault.

I do appreciate the kind words even though I disagree with your assessment of PaaK.
Sponsored

Last edited: