Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
i park in front of gas pumps when i grab a redbull or juul pods. people have only complimented me on the car and never complained that i was at a pump.

hey, maybe i wanted to clean the windshield?

but in lots, i'm the last car waaaay out by the street, and yet some futhermucker will park right next to me even if i'm only in the store 5 minutes. never fails.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HuntingPudel

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
i park in front of gas pumps when i grab a redbull or juul pods. people have only complimented me on the car and never complained that i was at a pump.

hey, maybe i wanted to clean the windshield?

but in lots, i'm the last car waaaay out by the street, and yet some futhermucker will park right next to me even if i'm only in the store 5 minutes. never fails.
Yeah, I park out in BFE as well. Sometimes some fool will park next to me, but usually I’m out there alone. 😊🐩

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just don't see it as being "generally bad for the big picture." A hassle for those who need it and can't get it, but that's what paid chargers (or controlled access ones) are for. The market will adjust, eventually. A free charger doesn't supplant a paid one, and if your road trip is predicated on a free charger being available then you've planned poorly. Free charging is a gift, not a right.
It's not about "supplanting". Nor are people's road trips predicated on "free" charging. They're predicated on charging period. When a free DCFC (for instance) goes in, it doesn't go in ONLY if there's a paid DCFC there too. It simply goes in regardless, and becomes part of the available network of chargers for people to use. And with the relative scarcity of DCFC, more likely than not it's an important cog in the road network for travelers. If there's locals (that would otherwise charge overnight at home) that are tying them up just because they're free, that's bad for the big picture.

Similarly when manufacturers like VW give away free unlimited charging for 3 years. It incentivizes tying up EA chargers because they're free rather than charging overnight at home. As I said above, it's less of an issue for L2, but some of the same applies there too.

Yes, the market will adjust, but since so much of charging is a money-loser and is dependent on taxpayer funding (or Dieselgate money), it's not very market-based yet. Probably be years before market forces can fully be applied (if ever).

Olds442

First Name
Olds
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT, '22 Premium Ex AWD
Occupation
sales
Country flag
Yeah, I park out in BFE as well. Sometimes some fool will park next to me, but usually I’m out there alone. 😊🐩
yesterday at walgreens, i pull through the lot, waiting for a BMW to exit, and pull all the way out to the street to park in no mans land.

that same BMW then parks immediately next to me. smh

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Yes, the market will adjust, but since so much of charging is a money-loser and is dependent on taxpayer funding (or Dieselgate money), it's not very market-based yet. Probably be years before market forces can fully be applied (if ever).
I think Dieselgate money runs out sooner than you think, and without that subsidy propping up equipment prices the cost to install will come down. Even more so once Federal money is running into local regulatory blocks to being spent, at which point we should see some regulatory harmonization start to occur, further driving down the cost to install.

Mabey more subsidies to encourage in-home installations would help?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think Dieselgate money runs out sooner than you think, and without that subsidy propping up equipment prices the cost to install will come down. Even more so once Federal money is running into local regulatory blocks to being spent, at which point we should see some regulatory harmonization start to occur, further driving down the cost to install.

Mabey more subsidies to encourage in-home installations would help?
Not sure when you think I think it runs out :cool:, but I can tell you. It runs out in 2026. $2B in total, spread across 10 years, split into four 2.5 year blocks of $500M each.

Since this is relatively new specialized equipment, I think it's actually working in the other direction... the VW money is helping create a market in higher volume, that should help bring equipment prices down rather than drive them up. Normally I'd agree that subsidy money just drives the price up, but that's more for products that already have an established market. In this case it's helping establish that market in volume. The important part for getting the market to act as a true market from there is ending the subsidies after it's established.

While I generally cringe at taxpayer subsidies, I agree that the subsidies for home installations are still needed (and perhaps even more importantly... for apartment complexes). That 30% credit is back in effect now.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Last week I was using a free charger at my office, and left my car there overnight so it could finish the charge. I made it a point to move my car out of the space before 7 AM because I know people will be coming to work and want to use them.
yesterday at walgreens, i pull through the lot, waiting for a BMW to exit, and pull all the way out to the street to park in no mans land.

that same BMW then parks immediately next to me. smh
Maybe that BMW driver is showing everyone how much bigger his penis is. After all, his car is way cooler. So he thinks.
Sponsored

Last edited: