anyone ever experience brief blurred vision from acceleration?

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
There's a decent enough explanation here in layman's terms: http://learntoflyblog.com/2015/03/30/aerodynamics-turns-and-load-factors/

In fighters, they can actually get pull even higher G's by altering pitch in the turn and getting some turning and altitude forces from engine thrust. Wind up turns make for some incredible g forces.

Alternatively, you actually can do a 1G turn (and even a roll), but you lose altitude like crazy because your 1G of lift stops counteracting gravity (by the time you're upside down you actually have 2G of acceleration but only feel the 1G the plane is experiencing). It does make for some awesome videos. Bob Hoover made a career selling aircraft pouring tea through a roll:
very informative. So I take it that after all of that we both agree that a turn produces more g-force than flying in a straight line? That’s all I was trying to say. Didn’t mean to imply that I knew more about jets than someone with a graduate degree in aerospace engineering.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
.85 longitudinal G is enough to get blurry vision momentarily. The MME GT can briefly exceed 1G on launch. According to my Dragy I’ve seen a max of .65 in our 4X and approx. .85 in my SS sedan. In our modded WRX we’ve seen up to 1.25 G with a 5500rpm clutch drop and 425HP. Very blurry through 1st gear.
Thank you for taking my post seriously… this is likely what I experienced.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
"That's just your eyes rolling back in your head" my dad told me years ago. "Blindingly fast". It's a thing. You're not losing your vision... I've had a similar feeling driving shifter karts.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Thank you for taking my post seriously… this is likely what I experienced.
You should take the “go see a doctor” posts more seriously.

Do you get lightheaded or black out when standing up to fast getting out of bed? Could have a blood pressure issue.

This car is nowhere near fast enough to make a healthy person black out under acceleration or deceleration or turning.

Race cars put 2-4x the G forces on drivers and they never black out or go blurry.

Jim622

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e
Occupation
District service manager with 50 plus years in the field
Country flag
So, as a preface to this, I have done several wide-open-throttle pulls, and have never had an issue with the MachE's acceleration.

However, every once in a while, the motor dynamics and the car's initial conditions will be just right so that I get serious whiplash. I had one such experience the other day where I pressed the pedal in about 3/4 of the way during a 10mph rolling start... it whipped me back so hard that I lost vision for about half a second. Anyone else ever experienced this?

***edit*** changed the title to something a little less dramatic...
Do you have high blood pressure? I know certain blood pressure medicine can cause this.
Mostly beta blockers but any can cause it. This is more common than you might think. Rapid acceleration will cause your blood to be held back for a second. For that small part of time, your brain is not getting oxygen. This can cause you to become lightheaded and in more severe cases you can blackout.

Grey Duster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME EX4
Occupation
Commercial Manager, Construction
Country flag
As I recall the incident I might have done a braking maneuver right before I hit the pedal… this may have contributed to the force I felt.
I suffer from the exact same thing every time I brake then accelerate hard. I just have to avoid it. It must be an inner ear thing. Total fine accelerating without the braking first. You are not alone!
Sponsored