anyone ever experience brief blurred vision from acceleration?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sometimes the best part of the internet is when you try to wrongly explain g forces to a pilot with a graduate degree in aerospace engineering and a decade spent as a flight test engineer on fighter aircraft.
Ford Mustang Mach-E anyone ever experience brief blurred vision from acceleration? on-the-internet-nobody-knows-youre-a-do
Sponsored

moparguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Miata, Mach E Select, Fusion
Country flag
It's a Mach E, not a Tesla Model S Plaid, however, if that really happened, I'd check a doctor immediately, hope all goes well.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Could be a brain tumor. Or aliens. Have you checked for aliens?

FYI, when I was a relatively tall and relatively skinny 18-year old in the Midwest I drove a rail dragster in competition for a summer. Blurred vision sometimes from vibration, not acceleration, even though we were running speeds street cars can only dream about.

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Sometimes the best part of the internet is when you try to wrongly explain g forces to a pilot with a graduate degree in aerospace engineering and a decade spent as a flight test engineer on fighter aircraft.
As a fellow engineer (with a tiny amount of hobby-level pilot experience, but admittedly very little real-world aircraft experience) I’m curious… you’re making the argument that flying in a straight line exerts less g-force than when you’re in a turn? That flies in the face (no pun intended!) of just about everything I ever learned about acceleration.

BlackonBlack

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTPE
Occupation
Self-employed
Country flag
So, as a preface to this, I have done several wide-open-throttle pulls, and have never had an issue with the MachE's acceleration.

However, every once in a while, the motor dynamics and the car's initial conditions will be just right so that I get serious whiplash. I had one such experience the other day where I pressed the pedal in about 3/4 of the way during a 10mph rolling start... it whipped me back so hard that I lost vision for about half a second. Anyone else ever experienced this?

***edit*** changed the title to something a little less dramatic...
No whiplash but I had a friend beg me to slow down as he whimpered. Outstanding!

OP
OP

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
1g is impossible to get from Mach-E, very few cars can achieve that. Not even mentioning the tires on Mach-E are not being able to take 1g.
In a straight line, yes, 100% correct… but a hard pull after a sharp brake and a turn? It makes me wonder… or maybe I just really need to see a doctor 😂

CompilerBreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT
Country flag
Jut curious, do you have the propulsion sound on or off? I tried it out off for a bit and had to turn it back on, my body did not like the quick and quiet acceleration, was making me feel a little motion sick, which could be along the lines of what you encountered.

Volfan615

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cyber Orange GT Performance
Country flag
I have felt a tiny bit of vertigo and stomach butterflies when I launch out in my GT on engaged! Did you know that our acceleration is actually is a bit faster than Disney California Adventure's Incredicoaster launch-out?
This is what I've felt. Kind of crazy until you eventually get use to it.

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
This is what I've felt. Kind of crazy until you eventually get use to it.
Ahhh, it still gets me queezy when I half-floor the electron pedal! I call it my very wicked car. Joking to people... I stress this darn thing has one main problem, "It go too fast!"

Edit... I've received only one citation in this car... I stupid parking ticket, ha!

Last edited:

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
lol I appreciate all the concern, but I'm as healthy as an ox. We are not talking about 5 seconds of blackout, I'm talking about a half a second where my vision started to go blurry... and the acceleration was definitely more than 1g... I know what 1g feels like and this was about double that.

The reason I posted this is b/c it seems under certain rare conditions, the MachE gets a little extra burst of acceleration and I was wondering if anyone felt that either?
.85 longitudinal G is enough to get blurry vision momentarily. The MME GT can briefly exceed 1G on launch. According to my Dragy I’ve seen a max of .65 in our 4X and approx. .85 in my SS sedan. In our modded WRX we’ve seen up to 1.25 G with a 5500rpm clutch drop and 425HP. Very blurry through 1st gear.

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
As a fellow engineer (with a tiny amount of hobby-level pilot experience, but admittedly very little real-world aircraft experience) I’m curious… you’re making the argument that flying in a straight line exerts less g-force than when you’re in a turn? That flies in the face (no pun intended!) of just about everything I ever learned about acceleration.
There's a decent enough explanation here in layman's terms: http://learntoflyblog.com/2015/03/30/aerodynamics-turns-and-load-factors/

In fighters, they can actually get pull even higher G's by altering pitch in the turn and getting some turning and altitude forces from engine thrust. Wind up turns make for some incredible g forces.

Alternatively, you actually can do a 1G turn (and even a roll), but you lose altitude like crazy because your 1G of lift stops counteracting gravity (by the time you're upside down you actually have 2G of acceleration but only feel the 1G the plane is experiencing). It does make for some awesome videos. Bob Hoover made a career selling aircraft pouring tea through a roll:

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
So, as a preface to this, I have done several wide-open-throttle pulls, and have never had an issue with the MachE's acceleration.

However, every once in a while, the motor dynamics and the car's initial conditions will be just right so that I get serious whiplash. I had one such experience the other day where I pressed the pedal in about 3/4 of the way during a 10mph rolling start... it whipped me back so hard that I lost vision for about half a second. Anyone else ever experienced this?

***edit*** changed the title to something a little less dramatic...
You might want to seek competent medical advice and evaluation, what you experienced is not normal for a healthy person.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
but if you aggressively braked, with say negative 1g, and your head went forward, then hit the acceleration for positive 1g… the equivalent translation force on your body would be 2g? This seems to be lost of several people who responded...
No. But if you drive straight into a thick concrete wall at high speed, you could exceed 2g.

Briefly.
Sponsored