Anyone here gone solar?

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
6000w ground-mounted solar array live in northwest Ohio live in northwest Ohio so fair amount of cloudy days on track to produced estimated 9000 kilowatts annual. Every month have produced more electricity then I've used but will likely not the case when I get my California Route 1 hopefully near the first of the year. We live in northwest Ohio and I have a fair amount of cloudy days
20 panels producing around 10Mwh annually. Would be much better if my roof direction was much more optimal.
Sponsored

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
6000w ground-mounted solar array live in northwest Ohio live in northwest Ohio so fair amount of cloudy days on track to produced estimated 9000 kilowatts annual. Every month have produced more electricity then I've used but will likely not the case when I get my California Route 1 hopefully near the first of the year. We live in northwest Ohio and I have a fair amount of cloudy days
this is very interesting - I'm east of you a bit, and it's nice to know you still get enough sun for it to work out. The only thing that's stopped me at this point is initial cost (the "no cost to you" offers always seem like I'd being screwed)... maybe next summer.

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Having it installed next week. 15 panels 5 kW estimated to generate 8500 kWh. Had them place all the panels on the optimal side. Cost surprisingly came lower than expected. But also the quotes all over the place from 8k to 18k for the same rating.

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
20 panels landscapt layout approx. 15ft by 30ft set at 40 degree angle all self installed and constructed and wired to grid
I tried to keep as cheap as possible with treated wood frame. Still about 10 grand minus 26 percent tax credit. Likely 8 to 10 yr to recover cost. Didn't want anyone able to say BEV would still be using coal fueled electric power!

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I tried to keep as cheap as possible with treated wood frame. Still about 10 grand minus 26 percent tax credit. Likely 8 to 10 yr to recover cost. Didn't want anyone able to say BEV would still be using coal fueled electric power!
Technically we might still be using coal. Unless you are charging during the day or have a battery backup. Once we get back to 'normal', I would be charging at night. Any extra daylight power goes into the grid. But when I pull it out at night, it's still power generated from whatever the power plants use as fuel. Thing sucks here is I can put in X into the grid but it counts as a lower rate than I get out so I need to put in 2 * X for every X I take out at night.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Solar is a perfect companion for a BEV, best addition we made to our home 2 years ago. 2nd best was the spouse working for a company that has a 17 MW solar roof array so she ends up doing most of the charging there. The local utility was transferred to the city so any overage we have now that she is home is 100% renewable- was a $0.01/kilowatt-hour (kWh) surcharge.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Anyone here gone solar? Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 3.39.43 PM

Last edited:

Ron Bonifas

First Name
Ronbon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln LS Ford edge Mach e RT1 rapid red
Occupation
Ford service tech
Country flag
Technically we might still be using coal. Unless you are charging during the day or have a battery backup. Once we get back to 'normal', I would be charging at night. Any extra daylight power goes into the grid. But when I pull it out at night, it's still power generated from whatever the power plants use as fuel. Thing sucks here is I can put in X into the grid but it counts as a lower rate than I get out so I need to put in 2 * X for every X I take out at night.
ohio renewable clean energy credits are basically worthless $5 per megawatt
Ohio's renewable clean energy credits are near worthless. $5 per megawatt where as like New Jersey and other states are like $300. Make hard to justify on cost alone, just as a BEV

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
<—- 16 kWh system. 36 panels between the south and west roofs. 3 inverters snd 2 lithium lead batteries. We are essentially off grid. Most months we get a minimum service charge bill from HELCO, a bit under $60 per month. The grid is our backup. We do have the highest electric rates in the nation, so solar is a god send.

When we built the house (2018) neither Tesla’s primary contractor nor any of the independent companies doing Tesla were interested in the project. Now they’re literally going door to door trying to drum up business here.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
this is very interesting - I'm east of you a bit, and it's nice to know you still get enough sun for it to work out. The only thing that's stopped me at this point is initial cost (the "no cost to you" offers always seem like I'd being screwed)... maybe next summer.
DEFINITELY stay away from the power purchase agreements. They build in an escalating cost that you can't get out of.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's where you need a powerwall or similar - instead of feeding the grid you'll be charging the powerwall, which then will charge the car at night. The downside is all the DC-AC-DC - AC - DC conversion eats into efficiency.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
It all depends on what incentives are available, and if net metering is available in your state. If you can get it down to 6-7 years payback or less it is probably worth it. Before oversizing your system be very careful and look at what you are paid for excess production. Here in NY we only get paid the wholesale rate on excess production so the ROI becomes terrible if you oversize too much. I purchased a system 4 years ago, sized to maximize incentives and It should pay for itself next year. However, if I had out that money in an index fund I would be more than 50% up...so compared to investing the money is a very tough call.

Last edited:

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That's where you need a powerwall or similar - instead of feeding the grid you'll be charging the powerwall, which then will charge the car at night. The downside is all the DC-AC-DC - AC - DC conversion eats into efficiency.
We def see the benefits of a powerwall battery. But the math just didn't add up for us. $6500 after rebate. Even if it saved us $100/month, it would be 5 years before it makes it up. Great for black outs but in our area that rarely happens. Once it gets to the 2-3k range, we'll prob reconsider.

Reactions: abr
OP
OP
jhalkias

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I had one guy take a look. The problem is the front of the house with the least amount of roof space due to 3 dormers is the side to put it on. I was worried about both the aesthetics and the time of payback as I am no longer a kid. My plan is the hope that cost will come down and efficiency will go up to make it more practical in the near future.
Sponsored