eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
There is no law here in Puerto Rico that requires cars to make noises, anyway. We have plenty of noise going on as it is. I will not add to it. If I cannot turn it off under the options menu, I will find the way to remove or disable the sound source
Interesting. I was under the impression -- apparently incorrectly -- that U.S. federal law applied to the territories unless the law expressly excludes them.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But the low speed pedestrian/bicyclist alert sound? Here to stay.
[/QUOTE]
Imagine in a not so distant time on a corner in your favorite city or in your favorite shopping center all these Star War sounds coming out of each vehicle, annoying but no choice, peds and cyclist needs to know your out there close to them.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Interesting. I was under the impression -- apparently incorrectly -- that U.S. federal law applied to the territories unless the law expressly excludes them.
It depends upon the subject matter honestly. Generally, territories and Puerto Rico are not considered "states" and therefore are excluded from some Federal Laws and regulations which do not specifically include them. But not all. But in this case ...

Puerto Rico, Guam et. al., are specifically included in the legislation which allowed the rulemaking. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 made the requirement for the external sound now coming into full effect. The requirement was to determine if there was a safety risk and, if so, to engage in rulemaking under Title 49, section 30111. Unfortunately for the Puerto Rico resident who's adamantly insistent upon disconnecting a sound that occurs at low speed for safety reasons, Puerto Rico is covered under the applicable legislation authorizing the regulation-making. And that applies to all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that I'm aware of btw.

So he can disconnect the external sound if he likes. But it's required in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Islands.

Sorry, well not really -- the sound is inaudible from within most BEV cars under virtually all conditions anyway.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It depends upon the subject matter honestly. Generally, territories and Puerto Rico are not considered "states" and therefore are excluded from many Federal Laws and regulations. But not all. And in this case ...

In this matter though, Puerto Rico, Guam et. al., are specifically included in the legislation which allowed the rulemaking. The Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010 made the requirement for the external sound now coming into full effect. The requirement was to determine if there was a safety risk and, if so, to engage in rulemaking under Title 49, section 30111. Unfortunately for the Puerto Rico resident who's adamantly insistent upon disconnecting a sound that occurs at low speed for safety reasons, Puerto Rico is covered under the applicable legislation authorizing the regulation making.

So he can disconnect the external sound if he likes. But it's required in the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Virgin Islands.

Sorry, well not really -- the sound is inaudible from within most BEV cars under virtually all conditions anyway.
Back when I first bought my Focus Electric I took my wife to a empty parking lot then placed the vehicle in Park. I got out and made her get behind the wheel. I stood in the parking lot while she drove by at various slow speeds.

My car has the speaker but doesnt make any noise. I presume Ford put it there for use in other markets because the U.S. regulation hadn't been finalized yet.

My wife thought I was crazy.....and dumb because when we were dating we drove to empty parking lots for a different reason. :)

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I know that the high end Niro EV have an on/off VSS (Vehicle Sound System)swicth for the external sound, practical except if you don't know the law about it that applies to where you live. But the place I would see fit for such a switch is when you are getting in/out a camping site at 10km/hour an this annoying Star War sound is coming of the car ext speaker ;) .

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My Focus Electric was an early one before they even considered the legislation. As such it had no speaker and made no noise.

We had one of those experiences with it: Going down a residential street and came upon a group of teenages walking down the middle of the street and slowly crept up behind them. Was behind them for a good block or so before one of them turned around and started freaking out.

You can hear the Bolt's noise. I think GM was going for "small engine idling" when they made the noise. To me it sounds like something boiliing under the hood.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
My wife thought I was crazy.....and dumb because when we were dating we drove to empty parking lots for a different reason. :)
oh, why was that? ??
Sponsored