Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I've taken a lot of measurements of regen in a lot of modes, and while there are longer threads on it, here are a few important points:
  • You can regen a significant amount of energy. On a typical 1 hour route I drive that is fairly flat, but with rolling hills and some stop and go, I've calculated that regen is giving me about 25% of my range. That is huge, and a great advantage for EVs.
  • All driving modes use regen, 1 pedal, normal, L, whisper/engage/unbridled. So use whichever you are most comfortable with.
  • The car will regen when you let off the pedal (more aggressively in 1PD, less so in normal mode), and will ALSO regen when you press the brake pedal. The only time the car uses the friction brakes are to hold you at a stop (after you've already stopped), or if you call for more than ~0.2gs of deceleration, by any means.
  • If you make an effort to slow gradually, you'll maximize your regeneration, and thus your range. Do so in whichever mode feels most natural for your (though I like 1PD, Engage). Turn on the "Brake Coach" to show you how effective your slowing is at recapturing energy.
Hope that helps.
Excellent summary. I gather that many posters wrongly assume that regen only happens with one pedal
. It happens when you use the brake pedal as well.
Sponsored

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Yes, you can regenerate a significant amount of energy. You can maximize regeneration by either using the L setting on your shifter or using one pedal drive in Unbridled.
Just got my select and I have a question about regen. I have a toyota rav4 prime also and anytime I just let off the gas the regen gives me some energy. more if a long steep hill. On my mme with no one pedal driving or putting in L and in any mode, do you still get some regen if coasting down a hill if you let off of the gas. Some seem to think that you only get regen when in L or with one pedal driving.

Twilloo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Select AWD comfort/tech pkg
Occupation
Retired LEO
Country flag
Just got my select and I have a question about regen. I have a toyota rav4 prime also and anytime I just let off the gas the regen gives me some energy. more if a long steep hill. On my mme with no one pedal driving or putting in L and in any mode, do you still get some regen if coasting down a hill if you let off of the gas. Some seem to think that you only get regen when in L or with one pedal driving.
Sorry just found the answer. But is there a way to see if you are getting regen

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Sorry just found the answer. But is there a way to see if you are getting regen
GT and GTPE have a power meter that shows regen.

Bottom line?

Whenever you hit the brakes you get regen.

Whenever you let off the accelerator (except in whisper with 1 pedal off) you get regen.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, you get regeneration with your foot off the pedal in all modes. L and 1PD Unbridled give you the maximum regeneration.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, you get regeneration with your foot off the pedal in all modes. L and 1PD Unbridled give you the maximum regeneration.
Except whisper. At least on my GTPE, it’s a full coast, no regeneration.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. A big miss.
To be fair, the gauge is just a toy. Other than for the GT and GTPE that have power limited (so you need to see it), I’m not sure what practical application showing regen has.

If you’re slowing down, you are regenerating. It’s basically a “brake gauge.” And you know when you’re slowing down and by how much, no need to have a gauge tell you how much.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
I drive exclusively in whisper mode and the car seems to be providing regen while coasting. Haven’t tried switching gear to L while driving.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drive exclusively in whisper mode and the car seems to be providing regen while coasting. Haven’t tried switching gear to L while driving.
Is 1 pedal turned off?

On my GTPE, the bar shows no green regen in whisper while coasting.

I’m guessing the owners manual could clarify.

BillPitman

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Escape, ‘21 J2 Space White Mach e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you Google this subject, you'll find lots of information, not specific to the Mach-E, regarding regeneration and what it can save.

Haven't played much with the Mach-E in this regard, partly because there is no good measuring of regeneration. With our 2010 Fusion Hybrid, and our 2018 Fusion Energi, there was all sorts of feedback each trip as to how much energy was from regeneration, and what the efficiency of the trip was. This car is very lacking in that regard.

In short, when you come off the accelerator, the car can start regenerating through multiple methods. I like using L when I'm getting off the highway, it slows you on the ramp at a nice rate. I don't use 1 pedal driving, nor does my wife. Most of our stops are 100% on the brake coach.
This measurement of regen should/could be added to the “ where‘s my energy going” screen?! Or add it somewhere on the dashboard
.. Bill

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
Is 1 pedal turned off?

On my GTPE, the bar shows no green regen in whisper while coasting.

I’m guessing the owners manual could clarify.
Yes. There is a hill nearby where I coast down to the Lake and I see range being added on the way down. There are hills in Florida! Lol

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. There is a hill nearby where I coast down to the Lake and I see range being added on the way down. There are hills in Florida! Lol
That’s not because of regen, that’s because your “economy” going downhill is better.

Same thing happens with the “instant economy” on an ICE when going downhill. And they don’t have regen.

I checked the manual and it says nothing about regen in modes unfortunately (page 240). https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...s-Manual-Job-2_version-1_om_EN-US_05_2021.pdf

All I know is the gauge that shows me regen, doesn’t show it when coasting in whisper mode.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
That’s not because of regen, that’s because your “economy” going downhill is better.

Same thing happens with the “instant economy” on an ICE when going downhill. And they don’t have regen.

I checked the manual and it says nothing about regen in modes unfortunately (page 240). https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...s-Manual-Job-2_version-1_om_EN-US_05_2021.pdf

All I know is the gauge that shows me regen, doesn’t show it when coasting in whisper mode.
Yes, I am just going by the way it feels when I let off the accelarator. Even on flat roads it has a different feel when I let off which is hard to explain? Doesn’t feel like the same coasting that you get with ICE.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I am just going by the way it feels when I let off the accelarator. Even on flat roads it has a different feel when I let off which is hard to explain? Doesn’t feel like the same coasting that you get with ICE.
I agree, whisper doesn’t feel the same as an ICE.

For me, engage feels the most like an ICE, it slightly regens and slows down like a regular automatic transmission car does.

Whisper feels like an ICE when you coast in neutral.

I’ll try to post a video soon I whisper showing the regen gauge to be sure.
Sponsored