Battery Pack Replacement

WingedStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Hi!

First post, excited to join the community but sad this is where I start!

I've had my GT for 5 months, put 5800 miles on it, love it all around and couldn't ask for more fun on my 110m a day commute. That being said I got it home the other day, plugged it in and when I turned it on came up with the "Stop Safely" warning. After that it said full accessory power and then wouldn't let me shift out of Park. I researched a bit and ultimately had it towed to the dealership who said it could be the 12V, I spoke with them two days later and they said it's probably the big battery pack. This makes sense since the most range I ever got out of it was ~200 miles, even when driving it like it wasn't a GT.

Wondering if anybody has had this experience or if you know how long it takes these days to get a replacement pack (not sure if they replace the whole thing or just the bad cells). They said it could be a month and I'm trying to get a loaner approved by Ford Corporate since the dealership didn't have any and couldn't help. That being said I'm not looking forward to paying for gas!

Thanks everybody.
Sponsored

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
If the problem was the HV battery, the dealer would swap the whole battery and send the failed one back to Ford. Car dealers don't have the training or equipment to replace modules or single cells. Besides the repaired battery must pass a certification test to be reused.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
If the problem was the HV battery, the dealer would swap the whole battery and send the failed one back to Ford. Car dealers don't have the training or equipment to replace modules or single cells. Besides the repaired battery must pass a certification test to be reused.
EV trained service technicians are equipped to replace modules (but not individual cells within a module). They won't replace the entire pack unless that's actually necessary.

Likewise, non-EV trained techs won't even unbolt or lower the pack from the vehicle.

Here's a cool video showing how modules are arranged into a pack on a similar BEV to ours.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Hi!

I've had my GT for 5 months, put 5800 miles on it, love it all around and couldn't ask for more fun on my 110m a day commute. That being said I got it home the other day, plugged it in and when I turned it on came up with the "Stop Safely" warning. After that it said full accessory power and then wouldn't let me shift out of Park. I researched a bit and ultimately had it towed to the dealership who said it could be the 12V, I spoke with them two days later and they said it's probably the big battery pack. This makes sense since the most range I ever got out of it was ~200 miles, even when driving it like it wasn't a GT.

Wondering if anybody has had this experience or if you know how long it takes these days to get a replacement pack (not sure if they replace the whole thing or just the bad cells). They said it could be a month and I'm trying to get a loaner approved by Ford Corporate since the dealership didn't have any and couldn't help. That being said I'm not looking forward to paying for gas!

Thanks everybody.
Hi there! This doesn't sound like an experience we want you to have with your Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you with this concern on my end.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi!

Thanks everybody.
Does not sound like the hvb. Your 200 mile range on your 110 mile commute is that at high highway speeds? This car (ext range) gets no more than 240 miles at 70 mph. I drive 65 to 75 mph with a few quick passes and get about 230 mile range. Speed, wind, hills, temperature all come into play. Recently did 200 miles on 85% but the 100 to 99% percent nonlinearity bug buggers up all math unless you start at 100%. Really wish Ford would fix that. I get an estimated 3000 miles of range on the first percent.

heisnuts

First Name
Darrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Country flag
It sounds like your dealer has not diagnosed the problem yet and is unfortunately just giving uninformed guesses Before diagnosing the problem.

After they run the diagnostics on the car they will know for sure what is needed. The good news is if it is the HVBJB, there is a new part out now and that might help prevent it from happening again.

OP
OP
WingedStallion

WingedStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT
Does not sound like the hvb. Your 200 mile range on your 110 mile commute is that at high highway speeds? This car (ext range) gets no more than 240 miles at 70 mph. I drive 65 to 75 mph with a few quick passes and get about 230 mile range. Speed, wind, hills, temperature all come into play. Recently did 200 miles on 85% but the 100 to 99% percent nonlinearity bug buggers up all math unless you start at 100%. Really wish Ford would fix that. I get an estimated 3000 miles of range on the first percent.
The 110 is 98% highway but I'm typically going above 75...ahem...That being said, when I reset the driving data I would assume that it forgets all of that it gives be a baseline range estimate @100% of ~210 which still seems low. Will be very happy if its just the HVBJB and they can have a permanent fix.
Sponsored