Depleted battery - stop safely now…at 76%!

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It’s still amazing to me to this day that a car with a massive battery that can power a house relies on a (comparatively) watch-sized battery to function right. It’s as if the engineers felt the need to utilize century-old lead-acid technology just for kicks.
“Yeah, your $20,000 lithium ion battery is fine, but the $300 stone-age battery you have is dead so you’re not going anywhere”

incredible that this is the best they today’s automotive engineers could come up with.
The current design offers you the opportunity to have private transportation that sufficiently balances affordability, safety, reliability, maintainability, and time to market. The mix is good enough that many thousands of MMEs have been sold to largely satisfied customers. When a solid mix of compromises are achieved, this is engineering done right.

I think if you research a little bit on what role the 12V battery plays in a high voltage electric vehicle, you'll potentially come to appreciate the wisdom in the decision. For example, if a Mustang Mach-E is involved in an accident in which the vehicle determines that it must isolate (disconnect) the high voltage pack, will you be able to turn on the hazard lights? (Yes.)
Sponsored

A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium 4X
Country flag
This sounds more like a software error than a battery/hardware error. The computer (for whatever reason) saw that you 'range' was zero, and freaked out. Remember, the 'low battery' type errors are based on range, not battery %.
A software bug in a Mach E? I'm sure it was bound to happen eventually, but I've never heard of one before. I find this completely shocking.

buddy3210

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, 2022 F350, 2017 F150, 2001 F250, 11 DTS
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
Sounds just like our modern farm equipment. I can't count the number of times a half million dollar machine has been rendered useless and then shutting it down for a few minutes and everything is back to normal.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Anyone seen this? I’m 400 miles from home and got a depleted battery stop safely now even though I have 76% range..and car started fine and runs
Turn off the car wait a minute and start it up. Drive home and if the fault doesnt come back take care of it when you arrive safely. I had a susp and 12 volt fault came up and it didnt come up for weeks and then it popped up took it got a dealer update and all is well 6 weeks latter,

SalsabyJake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
Occupation
Musician
Country flag
After getting update to 4.2.5 my FordPass app notified me that my High Voltage battery was low, despite it having about 78% charge. When I returned to the vehicle, everything worked normally. No messages on the dash...

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
A software bug in a Mach E? I'm sure it was bound to happen eventually, but I've never heard of one before. I find this completely shocking.
Just last week we had something very similar and odd happen twice on the same trip. The first time we stopped at a charger that wasn't on our FP route because we had to pee and why not add 20 miles while we were at it. Despite adding about 50 miles, when we recommenced the journey (still using the FP route), the GOM showed zero change and still wanted to route us to the original charger, telling me I didn't have enough charge. I had to totally cancel the route in FP and then resend it to the car for it to correctly change the route. THEN, after I charged a second time (staying 100% on the intended return route), the minute I put it in Drive, after backing out of the charger, the GOM flashed the whole stop safely now, battery totally depleted language. It showed zero range. I had just added 160 miles of range, on top of the $50 I had. I stopped. Took it out of gear. Cleared the warnings, and boom the 210 mile range popped back in, the route reappeared properly, and off we went home with no further issues. But wow, if I hadn't JUST put all of that charge on, I'd have been freaked. I was a bit concerned at first though thinking there might have been an error charging that caused it. But I couldn't think of any reason it would have wiped out the 50 miles I had left before I began charging. Weird stuff!!!

b1ptsv24

First Name
Shirl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e
Country flag
Anyone seen this? I’m 400 miles from home and got a depleted battery stop safely now even though I have 76% range..and car started fine and runs
I had that last summer. They had to replace my junction box. I have a 2021 premium AWD extended battery

Mockstang

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER, 1967 V8 4bbl
Occupation
Pro
Good afternoon! Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your battery concerns.
Hey while you’re at it, do you want to look at mine? When Stop Safely Now happened to me it lost all power and left me stranded.

GMachEGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
I actually had this same problem about a week ago. I was on my way from Vegas and we made a stop. When we went to leave the car turned on normally and I made sure the navigation was plotted to the charger I wanted to stop at. When I backed out of the parking spot the error came up saying my range was 0% and I had around 46% battery. When we got to Vegas two days before I was at 26% and I level two charged up to 100% the morning we were leaving. Luckily there was a DCFC chargepoint in the same parking I was in so I just pulled into the charger and when I plugged it in the error went away. I charged it to about 50% and then continued the rest of my trip home with no issues.
I plan to take it to the dealer soon to have them check it.
When I had this issue I couldn't find anything online so luckily I had no issues after.

OP
OP
jeffvick2005

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
I actually had this same problem about a week ago. I was on my way from Vegas and we made a stop. When we went to leave the car turned on normally and I made sure the navigation was plotted to the charger I wanted to stop at. When I backed out of the parking spot the error came up saying my range was 0% and I had around 46% battery. When we got to Vegas two days before I was at 26% and I level two charged up to 100% the morning we were leaving. Luckily there was a DCFC chargepoint in the same parking I was in so I just pulled into the charger and when I plugged it in the error went away. I charged it to about 50% and then continued the rest of my trip home with no issues.
When I had this issue I couldn't find anything online so luckily I had no issues after.
Maybe it has something to do with Vegas...that is where mine occurred also :). Did your SOC go to 0%, or just that your range was 0 miles? Mine was the later. My SOC still said 76% (and was in red) but my range was 0.
I was also using the navigation...and had just backed out of a parking spot when it lit up. I've had no issues since - if you take it in and they actually find something, please post. Thx

OP
OP
jeffvick2005

jeffvick2005

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 TSX, 2017 Civic, MACHE GT grabber blue
Occupation
CPA
Country flag
THEN, after I charged a second time (staying 100% on the intended return route), the minute I put it in Drive, after backing out of the charger, the GOM flashed the whole stop safely now, battery totally depleted language. It showed zero range. I had just added 160 miles of range, on top of the $50 I had. I stopped. Took it out of gear. Cleared the warnings, and boom the 210 mile range popped back in, the route reappeared properly, and off we went home with no further issues. But wow, if I hadn't JUST put all of that charge on, I'd have been freaked. I was a bit concerned at first though thinking there might have been an error charging that caused it. But I couldn't think of any reason it would have wiped out the 50 miles I had left before I began charging. Weird stuff!!!
Yes - mine sounds very similar to your latter situation. I had just been charging (on a 110 wall charger...) backed out, put it in drive and the Battery depleted - SSN lit up with range going to zero. No issues since...

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Yep. Almost exactly what happened with us. Please let us know what your dealer says.....

GMachEGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
I've been busy so I've been forgetting to post. I got my MachE back a week ago and the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. They checked everything they knew and only found a few updates that were unrelated. I will continue to watch and see if it occurs again. If there's nothing wrong with the battery than I would assume it was a glitch in the navigation software since it was easily cleared.
Sponsored