Blue Cruise complaint

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
During open highway bc is great. But why does it go toward the lane of someone passing you or toward some one you are passing? It is dangerous. It seems to center pretty well until you are beside someone and then it gets really close to them. I thought maybe it was just mental on my part but it is not, it definitely moves toward vehicles beside you. This needs fixed.
Sponsored

baff

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Country flag
I have been mildly alarmed by BC as well, but I haven't seen it actually aiming at another car. I have had it act like it is flipping back and forth between invisible rails at the lane dividers. If you have ever been to Disnlyand and ridden Autopia, it is a less violent version of going on that car ride and letting go of the wheel while you power around. And like Autopia, it seems more pronounced in the turns (in the ones that BC doesn't make you hold the wheel). It is almost like it is trying to stay 1/2 ft to the inside of one lane, then decides it wants to be 1/2ft to the inside of the other lane and just goes back and forth. Anyone else run into that scenario?

OP
OP

Plutoman15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Excursion, Expedition
Country flag
I have been mildly alarmed by BC as well, but I haven't seen it actually aiming at another car. I have had it act like it is flipping back and forth between invisible rails at the lane dividers. If you have ever been to Disnlyand and ridden Autopia, it is a less violent version of going on that car ride and letting go of the wheel while you power around. And like Autopia, it seems more pronounced in the turns (in the ones that BC doesn't make you hold the wheel). It is almost like it is trying to stay 1/2 ft to the inside of one lane, then decides it wants to be 1/2ft to the inside of the other lane and just goes back and forth. Anyone else run into that scenario?
I didn’t mean opposing traffic, rather cars going in the the same direction or worse tractor and trailers. It moves almost right to the line between us.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
This has been discussed many times. Some speculate that it may actually be an optical illusion (the vehicle is continuing to remain in the center of the lane, but people perceive the vehicle as getting “closer” to large objects as it overtakes them)

Parasmoney

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I too felt like BC was trying to do something I didn't feel comfortable with and had to take over. There were a few times in my road trip where I had to hit the break while BC was on and it was not pleasant for the family. Any recommendations on how not to make the transition from BC to one peddle so jerky?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I didn’t mean opposing traffic, rather cars going in the the same direction or worse tractor and trailers. It moves almost right to the line between us.
I agree BC does seem very slow to react to changes in the wind forces like side drafting or wind blowing from the sides. The car does seem to be pulled towards passing vehicles by the drafting wind forces, the bigger the vehicle the worse BC does. Just like when a car zooms past you while you’re stopped and your car rocks back and forth.

It’s like the lane centering computer is thinking, ‘well I’m going straight based on the road lines and steering wheel position’, It’s like the car doesn’t compute that the car could change lane position without steering input and thus it’s slow to react.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I too felt like BC was trying to do something I didn't feel comfortable with and had to take over. There were a few times in my road trip where I had to hit the break while BC was on and it was not pleasant for the family. Any recommendations on how not to make the transition from BC to one peddle so jerky?
On the highway use Whisper mode and turn 1PD off. When the cruise disengages you’ll basically be coasting.

Or if you can plan your transition then press the accelerator until the cruise speed indicator turns from green to grey. Then you are matching the speed and can hit the cancel button for a smooth cruise control disengagement.

Parasmoney

First Name
Paras
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 3
Occupation
IT
Country flag
đŸ€Ż... Lol can't believe I didn't think about that. Thanks, I'll will be doing that on highways.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
This has been discussed many times. Some speculate that it may actually be an optical illusion (the vehicle is continuing to remain in the center of the lane, but people perceive the vehicle as getting “closer” to large objects as it overtakes them)
It definitely favors the right side for me when I'm driving the left lane. It doesn't have to do with other vehicles I've found, it will do the same when the lanes are empty. It's not an optical illusion, I can see my tracks in the rearview mirror in the rain and they are shifted over about 1' from the center.

I think could have something to do with lane width and whether it's using one line or both for guidance.

I have a hunch they programmed it for 12' interstate lanes, so when you're driving in a 10' lane and it locks onto the solid outside line and centers the car 6' from it, you'll be an extra foot over.

Last edited:

frontrunner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium AWD
Country flag
During open highway bc is great. But why does it go toward the lane of someone passing you or toward some one you are passing? It is dangerous. It seems to center pretty well until you are beside someone and then it gets really close to them. I thought maybe it was just mental on my part but it is not, it definitely moves toward vehicles beside you. This needs fixed.

Blue cruise was really pissing me off today. Favoring the right side of the lane no matter how much I kept fighting it or trying to correct it, and exactly as you said, literally pulling towards cars in the next lane to my right, to the point that it starts ringing an alarm for corrective action to be taken. I'm like "you're the one pulling me out of my lane, dumbass!" (Yes, I talk to my car when it does stupid crap like this)

Came here to vent today, I see I'm not the only one.

frontrunner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Definitely not an illusion, at least for me. It started showing something in red and blinging some alarm for me to take over for corrective action today, while it was continually pulling me toward a car I was passing on my right side.

frontrunner

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It definitely favors the right side for me when I'm driving the left lane. It doesn't have to do with other vehicles I've found, it will do the same when the lanes are empty. It's not an optical illusion, I can see my tracks in the rearview mirror in the rain and they are shifted over about 1' from the center.

I think could have something to do with lane width and whether it's using one line or both for guidance.

I have a hunch they programmed it for 12' interstate lanes, so when you're driving in a 10' lane and it locks onto the solid outside line and centers the car 6' from it, you'll be an extra foot over.
That's an interesting theory, but I can share that on the Garden State Parkway in NJ, with 12 foot wide lanes, it pulls right continuously.