Chainspell

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
I do think one of the root causes of the problem could be the GPS software.

When the GPS is wrong... (usually with a fixed offset as you indicate above... either vertical or horizontal) BC hands free will not engage.

At the minute, the location seems to be correct.

I think the system reads the lat-long geo database to get altitude... if its reading a steady GPS altitude that is wrong, there is a code problem.
What I don't understand though is how the GPS can be incorrect for that length of time and distance. Not to mention I shut the car off 4 or 5 times during my stops. Apparently that isn't enough to reset it. I tried swiping the nav window away too and re-opening, but that doesn't actually re-initialize anything.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Same road
Same place
Same weather
Same time of day

one day works 100%
then will not work for weeks... which is where I am now.

Ford has a lot of "the ship is sinking" issues to address at the moment, but I'd really like BC reliability addressed... when it's working its one of my favorite features... when it is not, I do seriously consider just moving on to a different car.
This is precisely my (and others') experience with BC for the most part. For me the NJTP is pretty reliable, but the atlantic city expressway and GS Parkway are about 50% - and have been for 6+ months. Weather, OTA, nothing seems to really make a difference - southbound it's about 75% likely to engage and northbound its the opposite. 8 days ago it didn't engage in either directions; yesterday it engaged in both.

As pattern seeking animals I think we are seeing patterns in OTA versions that aren't really there: BC is just plain finicky about whether it will engage handsfree or not. I don't know if it's the imprecision of GPS or something else, but handsfree roulette is getting old. I really want to love the feature, but I am not paying $600 when my trial expires.