highmesa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 BMW i4 xDrive40
Country flag
Now taking pre-orders for spring 22 deliveries on the i4 and i4M. Price (and range) comparable to the MME and GT. Depending on the options cost.

BMW i4
Sponsored

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I was so tempted but the 80 kwh battery is a non starter for me. and the AWD version is $77,000 +. A good 20k over the MME. Maybe in a couple of years when its time to retire one of my I3's....

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Yeah, maybe the price isn't that comparable.
Actually, the base price of the i4 M50 and Mach-E GT Performance Edition, which are the flagship models for each product, are very close. The BMW is slightly slower on paper, yes, and you could argue that the non-PE GT for $5k less is the better value while still being a smidge quicker than the M50 on paper. Still I think the price is actually reasonable when you consider the sky high MSRP of the new iX xDrive50 which more closely reflects the typical "BMW tax".

One other thing to keep in mind about the i4 when compared to many of the other non-SUV EVs (like the Tesla Model 3, Porsche Taycan, Audi e-tron GT) is that it's actually a hatchback. This means it offers great utility while still offering the driving dynamics of a sedan. You'd have to jump up to the Model S for an additional $10k, plus no $7.5k tax credit to get that elsewhere (though you'd also get an even quicker car too, yes).

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Base price is one thing, but option prices on the German cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) bring the price way up, very quickly. Most customers spending that kind of money on a car are not looking for a base model.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
I really like it besides the front grill.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I understand that the kidney grills are their look. I also understand that the huge nostrils currently present on the M vehicles are because cooling is a big concern, but there's no need for that ugly front fascia on an EV. That front end is hideous on an otherwise nice looking car. Although, Spring 22 might end up being sooner than I get my GT.... nah, I'll wait.

Reactions: ARK

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Base price is one thing, but option prices on the German cars (BMW, Mercedes, Audi) bring the price way up, very quickly. Most customers spending that kind of money on a car are not looking for a base model.
The M50 is already the top tier model in the lineup, so it's not a "base model". Yes, you can spend more by adding on things like carbon fiber trim pieces and some gadgetry, but the top trim models are typically nicely equipped to start. I've owned a couple of the high performance BMW models and I always stay away from the upsells because the real value is the performance kit that the top tier model or models include. Ironically, with the Mach-E GT, I decided to load it up with everything, probably because the option list was short and I really wanted to the PE seats and suspension as well as the cameras and the sunroof (the latter two of which are actually standard on the lower tier Premium models).

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand that the kidney grills are their look. I also understand that the huge nostrils currently present on the M vehicles are because cooling is a big concern,
The funny thing about that is that there's actually no additional cooling provided by the big grills - it's just a facade. Underneath, there's a crossbar though the middle of it just like any other BMW. It's strictly for aesthetics (questionable as they are).

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
The M50 is already the top tier model in the lineup, so it's not a "base model". Yes, you can spend more by adding on things like carbon fiber trim pieces and some gadgetry, but the top trim models are typically nicely equipped to start. I've owned a couple of the high performance BMW models and I always stay away from the upsells because the real value is the performance kit that the top tier model or models include. Ironically, with the Mach-E GT, I decided to load it up with everything, probably because the option list was short and I really wanted to the PE seats and suspension as well as the cameras and the sunroof (the latter two of which are actually standard on the lower tier Premium models).
It's all rather moot at this point until BMW releases the trim levels with base equipment and options. No matter what, I'm sure it will be a fine car.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Any EV is comparable... you can compare it to the Chevy bolt, some things will be better on either...

Having trouble coming up with a configuration that the mach e isn't better spec wise. The base version is $15K over the mach e base, and the AWD version is almost $10K over the high end GT version. It might be better (probably not, but assuming it is), it's going to cost you... the mach e is already a bit more than I like to pay for a vehicle. Besides for style, is there some advantage over the mach e or Tesla model 3 to justify the price?

Maybe the base has better suspension than all but the high end GT mach e with magneride and costs less (but also no AWD on base).