Chrysler Pacifica Plug-in '18, Mach E LR AWD-order
Country flag

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
It's all rather moot at this point until BMW releases the trim levels with base equipment and options. No matter what, I'm sure it will be a fine car.
Indeed, US ordering/pricing guides are not yet available. But, looking at M440i info we can expect at least $15k in options. Some of that will be autonomous features also optional on the Mach-E GT, but there will likely be a charge for leather, heated seats, wireless phone charger, integrated garage door opener, etc.

Having trouble coming up with a configuration that the mach e isn't better spec wise. The base version is $15K over the mach e base, and the AWD version is almost $10K over the high end GT version..
i4 M50
MSRP: $65,900 + $995 Destination

Mach-E GT Performance
MSRP: $64,900 + $1100 Destination

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
i4 M50
MSRP: $65,900 + $995 Destination

Mach-E GT Performance
MSRP: $64,900 + $1100 Destination
That does bring it close. Someone posted $77k earlier, but not finding any official mention of the higher price.

t12g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Really curious about how the m50 handles. If it's anywhere close to Taycan, that would be pretty enticing.

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Who is making their battery and electric drive?

BMW is pretty shallow in EV expertise.

Carmel Mach E Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE, Focus Electric
Country flag
Who is making their battery and electric drive?
They manufacture those themselves. Obviously the battery cells themselves come from an outside supplier just as with all of the other players.

BMW is pretty shallow in EV expertise.
It sounds like perhaps you have some inside information?

To an outsider, it would appear that most traditional automakers could be expected to have the same, fairly minimal experience developing and building EV technology. For example, Ford's first BEV of the modern era (2010-) was the Focus electric, GM's was the Bolt, Hyundai Motor Group's was the Ioniq, and BMW's was the i3. Nissan/Renault beat them all to the punch (including Tesla, even) with the Leaf, though Hyundai Motor has offered the most selection. And of course they all have PHEVs too which offer additional lessons learned. But really, everyone is "new" to the game.

I'm intrigued though. Please elaborate on your statement.

jlauro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue AWD ER Mach-E
Country flag
Given the price, I would say it's more competitive with the Tesla Model S as a more luxury model.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Retired engineer
Country flag
I had a 2014 i3 BEV bought new, with an MSRP just over $50K. Had a 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I believe has been changed to 3 years on new BMWs. About a year out of warranty, the AC failed. Book value just prior to the AC failure was $16K. Repair quote on the AC was over $22K! Cause was probably a design failure of not having a trap designed into the system like most auto AC systems, which allowed shrapnel from the self-destructing compressor to destroy the entire system, including the cooling lines that ran through the battery directly. That allowed a $5K compressor failure turn into a $22K AC system failure. BMW would not stand up to their design failure which cost me over $7K (book value before AC failure minus book value for salvage after failure).

Had they offered me the prior book value as trade on a new i3, I would be driving another i3 now, rather than a Mach E. Had BMW stood behind their design failure, there might have been many more BMWs in my future, rather than absolutely zero more BMWs in my future. I guess I should be thankful, as I am loving my Mach E FE today!

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
I had a 2014 i3 BEV bought new, with an MSRP just over $50K. Had a 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, which I believe has been changed to 3 years on new BMWs. About a year out of warranty, the AC failed. Book value just prior to the AC failure was $16K. Repair quote on the AC was over $22K! Cause was probably a design failure of not having a trap designed into the system like most auto AC systems, which allowed shrapnel from the self-destructing compressor to destroy the entire system, including the cooling lines that ran through the battery directly. That allowed a $5K compressor failure turn into a $22K AC system failure. BMW would not stand up to their design failure which cost me over $7K (book value before AC failure minus book value for salvage after failure).

Had they offered me the prior book value as trade on a new i3, I would be driving another i3 now, rather than a Mach E. Had BMW stood behind their design failure, there might have been many more BMWs in my future, rather than absolutely zero more BMWs in my future. I guess I should be thankful, as I am loving my Mach E FE today!
Wow, what a story. This kind of thing worries me, not particularly about the Mach E, but as a cautionary tale about the new ground that is being broken with high-tech cars (especially EVs) and systems being introduced that are unproven. I think BMW does plenty of R&D and still that happened.
I'm probably going to go for an extended warranty.

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Doesn't the 4 separate compressors and off the shelf MachE design make more sense now.
Sponsored