Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I'm not sure if this is a "breaking in" issue, but I've noticed that when the break pads are engaged I get some pretty significant shutter. I rarely need to do a hard stop, but when the time has come it is something I've noticed. Anyone else experiencing this, or have any advice other than going to the dealer?
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Advice from most EV drivers is to do a couple “emergency stops” a couple times a week to keep the rust off the rotors. I’d try that a few times THEN see if you still have the shutter. Gotta knock the cobwebs off them before you can really judge it.
On the other hand, someone on here has already had their brakes stick and weld themselves together. So if they aren’t working right, best have them checked sooner rather than later.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Advice from most EV drivers is to do a couple “emergency stops” a couple times a week to keep the rust off the rotors. I’d try that a few times THEN see if you still have the shutter. Gotta knock the cobwebs off them before you can really judge it.
On the other hand, someone on here has already had their brakes stick and weld themselves together. So if they aren’t working right, best have them checked sooner rather than later.
I have heard that too and have never understood that piece of advice. The friction brakes are employed for every stop so there shouldn't be any rust forming on the rotors provided the vehicle is used on a regular basis. ??

Now, I live in AZ where it's pretty darn dry most of the time so rust is something we usually only see in photos. Maybe other parts of the country are so wet that rust forms on the rotors even during use? If that is the case then I can see how some firm stops might clean more effectively than what occurs during normal use. ?

OP
OP
DanCoon

DanCoon

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Government
Country flag
I have heard that too and have never understood that piece of advice. The friction brakes are employed for every stop so there shouldn't be any rust forming on the rotors provided the vehicle is used on a regular basis. ??

Now, I live in AZ where it's pretty darn dry most of the time so rust is something we usually only see in photos. Maybe other parts of the country are so wet that rust forms on the rotors even during use? If that is the case then I can see how some firm stops might clean more effectively than what occurs during normal use. ?
This is my first EV car, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I rarely break hard, but I can definitely feel a difference on the Mach-E when the friction break engages as opposed to regenerative breaking only. I've always been under the impression that the regenerative breaks are magnetic and the friction breaks are only engaged when more breaking power is needed.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Funny you mention this. Twice after I have driven in the rain, and parked in the garage, The next day I go to leave, and its like my brakes are stuck. I start to backup and it acts like the brakes are on, and then its almost like the brakes are breaking free. It pops and starts moving freely after that.

Is this what you were referring to?

Last edited:

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I live in a very humid area and use OPD. I know that my friction brakes must be used for that last little bit of stopping but I don’t think it’s enough to really clean them. No good high speed rotating friction is happening. Because I have rust on the rotors. I need to take my own advice and force those things to clean themselves. Nothing like the shiny well polished face of my F-150 rotors.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I have seen that also - if the wheels are wet when I park the car, the brake pads stick to the rotor rust that forms. Once you move they come unstuck. I have seen this on other cars, it seems to be more pronounced with the MME.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Don't break your brakes. Go to the dealer. No shudder is normal in a properly functioning brake system.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Just asking, should'nt break be spelled brake? It is allready difficult enough, not my native language?
Yes, you are correct, but I see that a lot where people spell it break. Similar to their there and they're, your and you're - commonly mis-spelled.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Just asking, should'nt break be spelled brake? It is allready difficult enough, not my native language?
You are correct. I also believe that he means “shudder” (as on to shake or vibrate).

Anyhow, all new brake pads/shoes should be broken-in properly. A series of panic slows from 35 down to 5 to heat up the pads, then driving for several minutes to cool the brakes off will do. Do not stop while heating or cooling the brakes back off or you could warp a rotor by concentrating the heat on a specific place on the rotor.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I live in a very humid area and use OPD. I know that my friction brakes must be used for that last little bit of stopping but I don’t think it’s enough to really clean them. No good high speed rotating friction is happening. Because I have rust on the rotors. I need to take my own advice and force those things to clean themselves. Nothing like the shiny well polished face of my F-150 rotors.
Makes sense. You are correct, the friction brakes are used for that last little bit of stopping each time but I suppose if it's very humid in your area then that light application of the brake pads may not clean the rotors well enough.

I have never seen any signs of rust on mine....but then again I live down the street from hell.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Yes, you are correct, but I see that a lot where people spell it break. Similar to their there and they're, your and you're - commonly mis-spelled.
"Break shutter" has a vastly different meaning than "brake shudder". OP might want to revise the title because some members might not read or respond to the thread because of it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Here are some broken shutters:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Brake Shudder 1623779022768
Honestly I was thinking that something in one of the cooling system shutters was broken Until I read the thread.