jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, XC60, RR Prem Ex4 (rcvd 11/21)
Country flag
I've got a '21 Premium Ex AWD with about 25K miles. I live in the foothills above Denver, so virtually every trip I make with the car entails a 3,000 ft. descent down winding roads. As a result (I think), my front brakes get used much more so than normal for an EV (note I use full 1 pedal driving and rarely put my foot on the brake pedal). I've got a definite shudder now when the front friction brakes engage (not there when its using regen braking). Is there anything special or anything that I have to worry about when getting the front rotors turned? I figure I'll get this done when I switch over from snows to all-season tires in about a month. Just want to be prepared before making the appointment.
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Was your car one of the Job 1 cars? If so there was a brake pad recall due to sticktion. Patrick (@Mach-E VLOG) and @Liv might know more about your situation than me since they used to live in CO. 🤔🐩

OP
OP

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was your car one of the Job 1 cars? If so there was a brake pad recall due to sticktion. Patrick (@Mach-E VLOG) and @Liv might know more about your situation than me since they used to live in CO. 🤔🐩
No, its a Job 2 (Aug 21 build, only 1 fob available, remote frunk release in the app (sorry @Jimrpa), full Blue Cruise, regular OTA's).

Note I'm not complaining - I know from where we live that getting regular 4-wheel alignments is necessary given the forces on the front of the car during descent (we see this on all of our other vehicles) and extra wear on the front rotors is to be expected. Just wondering if there is anything special about the Mach-e. I had an i3 for 5 years and never had to deal with the rotors, but that car was only 2800 lbs, significantly lighter than the Mach-e.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
There was a service bulletin for Job 1 2021 cars. Even though yours isn't covered, I'd schedule time with the dealer service department to have them take a look. Ours started having a slight shudder so they replaced the brake pads and machined the rotors.

OP
OP

jeffMachE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was a service bulletin for Job 1 2021 cars. Even though yours isn't covered, I'd schedule time with the dealer service department to have them take a look. Ours started having a slight shudder so they replaced the brake pads and machined the rotors.
Sounds good. Thanks - I'll call Sill-Terhar and get it in. I missed my 20K service anyway, so I'll have them check it out. They've been good to work with for 15 years (and 4 vehicles).

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
No, its a Job 2 (Aug 21 build, only 1 fob available, remote frunk release in the app (sorry @Jimrpa), full Blue Cruise, regular OTA's).

Note I'm not complaining - I know from where we live that getting regular 4-wheel alignments is necessary given the forces on the front of the car during descent (we see this on all of our other vehicles) and extra wear on the front rotors is to be expected. Just wondering if there is anything special about the Mach-e. I had an i3 for 5 years and never had to deal with the rotors, but that car was only 2800 lbs, significantly lighter than the Mach-e.
You should have got 2 fobs, bummer dealer.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Oops. It was a CSP, wasn’t it? 🤦‍♂️🐩
It was a TSB, and technically only applied if brake pad material was visibly stuck to the rotors. I was able to get my dealer to replace the front rotors and pads without visible material, but it was a bit of a fight. A recall would have been much easier.

For what it's worth, my rear rotors are scored all to hell.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag

three.jax

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD premium
Country flag
I had a very similar issue. Took it into Sil-Ter-Har for service, and they ended up petitioning Ford to cover the cost of the Brake service. At 17K Miles, I needed Pads on all 4 + all Rotars needed to be machined. In the end, they covered the cost. I worked with Josh (the first Service guy in the door).
Sponsored