California Dealers Marking Up MME

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
That's my fear. I'm going to walk in and they are going to throw an ADM at me for that high. I'm really praying that they play nice on this. I don't want to get my hopes up until I am driving that car off the lot. I should have gotten it in writing first with an agreement first. Well, I guess this weekend will be happy or a learning experience.

Let us know what happens, but I still think for folks who ordered and haven't asked/confirmed with the dealership, it's good to know now vs. 8 months from now.

There is no reason to not bring it up honestly to just know what the dealership's plan/rules are. You'll only end up losing I think since it's a headache and the sooner you get the ADM discussion out in the open (maybe it's like wanting to have kids or not etc in a relationship)...the better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Good luck and let us know if you can find one with no ADM and no wait. I think for Premiums, CA Rt1 probably, you will not be able to find one honestly anytime soon and your odds are very very low IMO. I look around me and there are always the fewest Premiums within 500 miles of me.

I've been reading/researching since August of last year. I see your account is new (less than 2 weeks), but plenty of folks here have done the calling around dance and all that to avoid ADM for an on lot car and had little/no luck. Some paid MSRP way way back, but had to travel/ship it which, to me, is the same as ADM.

Again, it's possible, but pretty unlikely in the current situation to get a car right now. You posted some in your 1st post, but I as mentioned, there's probably a line for cancellations and people signing up now aren't going to be getting a car tomorrow.

As for not paying ADM, my advice is still just order and wait like most people. I will pay below MSRP with X-Plan and have everything in writing/screenshots and did tons of research before I even placed an order so yeah, no ADM is possible (but you have to wait), but not so much to get a car today when other folks are happy to pay ADM for various reasons. It just takes waiting for MSRP or less.

I think if someone seriously wants a Select, that's the highest chance to get one with no ADM.
It's not as difficult as you may think. Took me about a week, and I got lucky because I did my homework; see this thread. Another buyer's experience in this thread was very similar to mine.

You may be right that the odds are low, but there do seem to be plenty of abandoned orders out there. Many dealers apply obscene markup to such cars that suddenly become available, but some do not. The first challenge is to find such a dealer and cultivate them, so they call you when a special order becomes available.

Indeed, paying no ADM is possible by ordering an MME or by finding an abandoned order at a dealer that doesn't apply ADM. Good luck!

Last edited:

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It's not as difficult as you may think. Took me about a week, and I got lucky because I did my homework; see this thread. Another buyer's experience in this thread was very similar to mine.

You may be right that the odds are low, but there do seem to be plenty of abandoned orders out there. Many dealers apply obscene markup to such cars that suddenly become available, but some do not. The first challenge is to find such a dealer and cultivate them, so they call you when a special order becomes available.

Indeed, paying no ADM is possible by ordering an MME or by finding an abandoned order at a dealer that doesn't apply ADM. Good luck!

Congrats, but still, I don't think your case is very common. Similar to someone winning lotto and saying everyone can win, the odds are still, IMO very low of what happened in your case and shouldn't be taken as "not difficult".

I also wonder if you jumped someone else on the waiting list line if you were recently just put on the list within the last 2 weeks.

Congrats are still yours to claim, but from everything I've seen, 1 or 2 cases out of hundreds doesn't mean this will happen for a lot of folks. I assume Ford Store has a long waiting list (rightfully or wrongly).

I think if any of us can get a canceled order instead of our own, most of us would as well. As you mention, key is always the dealership which I agree with.

mb36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Tribute
Occupation
HR
Let us know what happens, but I still think for folks who ordered and haven't asked/confirmed with the dealership, it's good to know now vs. 8 months from now.

There is no reason to not bring it up honestly to just know what the dealership's plan/rules are. You'll only end up losing I think since it's a headache and the sooner you get the ADM discussion out in the open (maybe it's like wanting to have kids or not etc in a relationship)...the better.
So I was at Santa Margarita Ford and they totally screwed me over. Didn't tell me when the car was ready until after 10am then I tell him I'll be there in 30 minutes, I get there and it's being test driven by someone else and the other sales guy says right in front of me "oh well this might be a deal for me" and I then test drive it with my sales guy and when I get back from the test drive, the people who test drove it right before me are already buying the car and doing paperwork, BUT then I find out that it was being sold for 5k over MSRP, so the people who bought the car got a bad deal because they settled with a mach e over MSRP and fell into the extended warranty trap even when it was an abandoned order. Santa Margarita Ford is selling Mach e's for 5k over MSRP so I don't suggest going there and they LOVE to play the game and get people in there doors and jerk them around.

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
So I was at Santa Margarita Ford and they totally screwed me over. Didn't tell me when the car was ready until after 10am then I tell him I'll be there in 30 minutes, I get there and it's being test driven by someone else and the other sales guy says right in front of me "oh well this might be a deal for me" and I then test drive it with my sales guy and when I get back from the test drive, the people who test drove it right before me are already buying the car and doing paperwork, BUT then I find out that it was being sold for 5k over MSRP, so the people who bought the car got a bad deal because they settled with a mach e over MSRP and fell into the extended warranty trap even when it was an abandoned order. Santa Margarita Ford is selling Mach e's for 5k over MSRP so I don't suggest going there and they LOVE to play the game and get people in there doors and jerk them around.
Unfortunately your experience isn't unusual these days. When a special order is abandoned, it's usually first-come, first-served. Most dealers won't hold on to them for a specific buyer; those who get there first are allowed to buy the car (fair enough).

But you should know before you arrive at the dealership whether they plan to apply ADM. They'll let you know in advance. So call or write them and ask before wasting your time visiting the dealership only to find out they won't sell the car for MSRP.

mb36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Tribute
Occupation
HR
Unfortunately your experience isn't unusual these days. When a special order is abandoned, it's usually first-come, first-served. Most dealers won't hold on to them for a specific buyer; those who get there first are allowed to buy the car (fair enough).

But you should know before you arrive at the dealership whether they plan to apply ADM. They'll let you know in advance. So call or write them and ask before wasting your time visiting the dealership only to find out they won't sell the car for MSRP.
Ya. I tried to get a hold of my sales guy to ask that and he never responded. He wanted to lure me down there and that's what he did, but the good part is I avoided a sale that was over MSRP. It was a tough lesson learned today, but now I feel more confident in dealing with dealerships in the future.

fireman_pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Lexus RX350
Occupation
Firefighter
Found a MME GT in Red at my local dealer (Lake Elsinore Ford). MSRP was $66 and change. The ADM fee was $20K. I tried to negotiate it, and they would not be budge at ALL.

I am ready to buy a MME GT, and I would even be willing to pay a SMALL ($3K-$5K) ADM, but no way in hell would I pay $20K. I will wait and keep trying with all the dealers. If anyone is aware of any dealers in So Cal selling the GT either at MSRP or a VERY SMALL ADM, LMK.

Thanks!

Pete

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Found a MME GT in Red at my local dealer (Lake Elsinore Ford). MSRP was $66 and change. The ADM fee was $20K. I tried to negotiate it, and they would not be budge at ALL.

I am ready to buy a MME GT, and I would even be willing to pay a SMALL ($3K-$5K) ADM, but no way in hell would I pay $20K. I will wait and keep trying with all the dealers. If anyone is aware of any dealers in So Cal selling the GT either at MSRP or a VERY SMALL ADM, LMK.

Thanks!

Pete
$20K ADM is obscene. We know we’re in trouble when $3K-$5K ADM starts to seem “reasonable”…

yngwenli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Thanks!

Pete

I think if you're still playing the buy on the lot game with no ADM, try to focus on specific dealers like OP and pray you get lucky...and yes, it's really luck I feel. That and get on their waiting lists so they'll get to you eventually. There is travel time/cost (which I feel is the same as an ADM and even worst since time > $$) since you both seem to be in So Cal. Similar to being in Hawaii, if no dealer sells at MSRP for in stock, you have really no options anymore. I know of no So Cal dealers selling on lot for MSRP as a rule/policy.

I've be watching these forums pretty obsessively since Sept and yes, you can get lucky and get a car now, no ADM, but it's really just being at the right place, right time, right owner/manager and the car you even want matches what they have. I've probably seen/remember 5 people or so here getting MSRP for an immediate on the lot purchase (there are probably more/silent), but most have spent months and eek out a small mark up and some, even had to pay add-ons for ordered cars.

You also have to probably deal with specific owners/managers at the dealership since I don't think many of the regular "salespeople" will make much money selling at MSRP. The owners probably make out fine with selling at MSRP, but having been in sales before, if it doesn't put food on your table, most salespeople won't waste their time because honestly, you'll lose your job if that's all you did (that's just how their compensation is setup sometimes sadly).

Last edited:

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
$20K ADM is obscene. We know we’re in trouble when $3K-$5K ADM starts to seem “reasonable”…
Tell me - it's more common in Southern California...

My local Ford dealer: Upland Ford wants $20K ADM on a SELECT trim MME!

I said, I'll be reporting you to Ford (text message proof)....

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You also have to probably deal with specific owners/managers at the dealership since I don't think many of the regular "salespeople" will make much money selling at MSRP. The owners probably make out fine with selling at MSRP, but having been in sales before, if it doesn't put food on your table, most salespeople won't waste their time because honestly, you'll lose your job if that's all you did (that's just how their compensation is setup sometimes sadly).
No doubt luck plays a role in finding an available MME at a dealer willing to sell it to you for MSRP. But they're out there if you look hard enough.

Remember what Louis Pasteur said, "Chance favors the prepared mind." I worked hard to get my MME by finding a dealer that never marks up any of their cars, and then carefully cultivating one of their sales managers. For example, I wrote to the dealership's owners to thank them for no ADM and complimented the sales manager on his responsiveness and superior customer service. I wasn't just blowing smoke, either; he earned that praise. I don't know for certain whether that helped my cause, but the sales manager appreciated it and a few days later, I got the call.

At that particular dealership, junior sales people work on salaries, not commissions. So they have the same incentive to help all their customers, no matter what they're buying. Sales managers get a percentage (profit sharing) but they're incredibly responsive, too. As a result, the whole dealership experience feels different and better.

Last edited:

YouEeee

First Name
Duy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 ford mustang mach e gt
Country flag
I called worthington ford in long beach today and they charge 28k adm for 2022 gt ( i received a mess they will do 22k later lol )and 68k for 2021 Premium ER ( keep mentioning its 300 miles)

The worst thing is when i spoke on the phone with sale man named joseph and i said i would be willing to pay 5k max for adm , this guy just " oh my gosh " and hung up the phone ...

OP
OP
ridgebackpilot

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I called worthington ford in long beach today and they charge 28k adm for 2022 gt ( i received a mess they will do 22k later lol )and 68k for 2021 Premium ER ( keep mentioning its 300 miles)

The worst thing is when i spoke on the phone with sale man named joseph and i said i would be willing to pay 5k max for adm , this guy just " oh my gosh " and hung up the phone ...
Make sure you document this in the survey Ford sends you about your experience at the dealership.

$28K ADM ("F@ck You Fee")? That may be a new record for greed!

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
My dealer where I placed the F150L order called me and said that an abandoned MME customer order with same color, trim, options is arriving and they are taking OFFERS w/ large deposit and asked if I wanted to make an offer....

Guess it's another nicer way of ADM ?

Told him I have an MME order with another dealer since they charge $3K over MSRP on a customer ordered MME.

Funny - they don't charge ADM on the F150L orders.
Sponsored

Last edited: