Can anyone recommend a Tesla to Mach-E adapter for Tesla destination chargers?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
So, I originally ordered the 40A teslatap and announced that in another thread, and everyone YELLED at me and assured me that I would destroy my car, melt the cable and cause the Tesla destination charger to explode in a fireworks of sparks if I didn’t IMMEDIATELY change to the 50A (and they were quite insistent on 50A. In fact, one of the most highly ranked people here chimed in on that).
That's not exactly how I remember it, but regardless, you made the right decision. :)
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I have the Tesla tap mini 60 amp. I have used it 4 times. No problem with it. It's a little snug fit but a little lube took care of that. Great product to have in your glove box. You never know if your need it but is worth it if you do.

1619551185233.png

1619551203730.png
ive been told that it’s always wise to use a little lube if it’s a little snug. Glad to hear it works.
?

ConejoRed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Route 1 Mach-E, Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
We have the 60A TeslaTap Mini that we have used 3 times so far with no issues. As mentioned, it easily fits in the glove compartment or center console for easy reach (don’t have to unpack the back if you have luggage etc. in the back where the charge cord is stored etc.).

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

Also several threads on here about the TeslaTap if you do a search. I use one for my home charging since I already have a Wall Connector for my Model 3. As you can see, they come in various amp ratings.
Just curious, have you ever had your charging pause with the Mach E, and the Tesla wall connector faults out due to overcurrent condition (7 red blinks on charger). I have mine on a 60amp breaker and use the 80amp TeslaTap adaptor. I talked to the rep at TeslaTap and he suggested I change the settings on the wall connector from 60 to 50 amps. Haven’t had a chance to test the new setting with the Mach E yet though.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Just curious, have you ever had your charging pause with the Mach E, and the Tesla wall connector faults out due to overcurrent condition (7 red blinks on charger). I have mine on a 60amp breaker and use the 80amp TeslaTap adaptor. I talked to the rep at TeslaTap and he suggested I change the settings on the wall connector from 60 to 50 amps. Haven’t had a chance to test the new setting with the Mach E yet though.
So far no pause in the charging. I have done to 2 charges where I plugged in and had it charge immediately, and about 4 charges where it starts charging on scheduled time (currently set to midnight, set to 80%) and all the charges completed normally. Notifications appeared in the Ford Pass app telling me the desired charge level. I have the wall connector set to 60 amp, so I am feeding 48 amps to the Mach-E, same as to the Model 3. Do you know anyone that has Model S, X, 3, or Y that will take the full 48 amps from the wall connector? It seems using your son's Model 3 with 32 amp max, does not push enough total current to trigger the fault, wondering if a Tesla with 48 amp pull could possibly do it. Of course, taking the Wall Connector down to 50 amps might solve the problem, and feeding only 40 amps instead of 48 amps should not increase charging times that much.

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
So far no pause in the charging. I have done to 2 charges where I plugged in and had it charge immediately, and about 4 charges where it starts charging on scheduled time (currently set to midnight, set to 80%) and all the charges completed normally. Notifications appeared in the Ford Pass app telling me the desired charge level. I have the wall connector set to 60 amp, so I am feeding 48 amps to the Mach-E, same as to the Model 3. Do you know anyone that has Model S, X, 3, or Y that will take the full 48 amps from the wall connector? It seems using your son's Model 3 with 32 amp max, does not push enough total current to trigger the fault, wondering if a Tesla with 48 amp pull could possibly do it. Of course, taking the Wall Connector down to 50 amps might solve the problem, and feeding only 40 amps instead of 48 amps should not increase charging times that much.
Ya, I should be able to test it this weekend. Our Mach E has a full charge right now from the 110v mobile charger. My son's Tesla 3 is the standard range so it won’t take the full 48a. However, for the Mach E, it sounds like you have the exact same setup as I do and no faults at 48a, so I'm wondering now if either my wall connector or TeslaTap adaptor is bad

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Ya, I should be able to test it this weekend. Our Mach E has a full charge right now from the 110v mobile charger. My son's Tesla 3 is the standard range so it won’t take the full 48a. However, for the Mach E, it sounds like you have the exact same setup as I do and no faults at 48a, so I'm wondering now if either my wall connector or TeslaTap adaptor is bad
One other difference is I am using a gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector. I think you stated previously yours is a gen 3 model. There could very possibly be an issue with the wall connector since it is a newer model.

Here is a link I found describing the fault issues and what to do:

https://www.grayzerelectric.com/troubleshooting-tesla-wall-connector.html

Since you cannot reduce the Mach-E charge current settings (at least not with current Sync software version), reducing the wall connector from 60 amps to 50 amps might be the best solution without having to return either the wall connector or the TeslaTap.

PCPilot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, FE
Country flag
One other difference is I am using a gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector. I think you stated previously yours is a gen 3 model. There could very possibly be an issue with the wall connector since it is a newer model.

Here is a link I found describing the fault issues and what to do:

https://www.grayzerelectric.com/troubleshooting-tesla-wall-connector.html

Since you cannot reduce the Mach-E charge current settings (at least not with current Sync software version), reducing the wall connector from 60 amps to 50 amps might be the best solution without having to return either the wall connector or the TeslaTap.
Great info and much appreciated. Yes, mine is a gen 3, and as soon as I'm able to test it out with the lower amp setting, I'll post the results.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Most destination chargers are 16 KW or less. I have a cheap ACBroad adapter I got on Amazon, and it has not caused problems. It is more important to get a J1772 extension. Most Tesla destination chargers have very short cords. You can get a 5m 32amps J1772 extension on AliExpress for less than $100.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Most destination chargers are 16 KW or less. I have a cheap ACBroad adapter I got on Amazon, and it has not caused problems. It is more important to get a J1772 extension. Most Tesla destination chargers have very short cords. You can get a 5m 32amps J1772 extension on AliExpress for less than $100.
Why are you resurrecting all these old threads about Tesla adapters? You can just say what you want to say in one thread and call it good.

Gilles

First Name
Gilles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Volt with Mach-e on order
Country flag
Sorry. After I posted, I realized it was dated 2021.
Sponsored