Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree that it has no effect on suspension but the amount of torque and aggresive regenerative breaking is least on whisper mode which I feel contributes to a smoother ride. We have been happy with it, maybe it’s placebo affect as you mentioned - who knows.
Smoother from a less aggressive/jerking starts and stops, potentially. That's logical. The pedal is mapped to where the same amount of push produces gentler acceleration in Whisper. And there appears to be no regen-slowing in Whisper. Many people find regen slowing jerky and annoying (unless gently and consistently let up on). Whisper is the closest thing to a true coasting motion drivers/passengers are used to with ICE.
Sponsored

musgang

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Occupation
Finance
Country flag
And there appears to be no regen-slowing in Whisper.
does that mean whisper is the least economical off the three modes to drive 1-pedal? hmm..

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
My ride has really "settled out" after 2000 miles. I keep the tires right at 39 PSI and really have not issues with the ride anymore.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
does that mean whisper is the least economical off the three modes to drive 1-pedal? hmm..
No. They all have the same amount of economy. There is still significant regen in Whisper mode while 1PD is on.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1PD only affects slowing, not accelerating. I'm not sure if there's even a difference in the level of regen slowing applied between the 3 drive modes when 1PD is on. I'm guessing 1PD just overrides the modes and applies max regen regardless of mode (although I could be wrong).

Whisper could end up being more efficient for accelerating though. But only if the driver doesn't push the pedal down further. The same power is available in any of the 3 modes, but drivers are just less likely to use as much when the pedal mapping requires a deeper push.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
1PD only affects slowing, not accelerating. I'm not sure if there's even a difference in the level of regen slowing applied between the 3 drive modes when 1PD is on. I'm guessing 1PD just overrides the modes and applies max regen regardless of mode (although I could be wrong).
I'm not sure this is right? Next time you go on a drive through a low traffic area, try holding your velocity at a specific speed, say 45 MPH, and now switch 1PD off or on. I think you will observe a change in velocity even though your foot pressure remains the same.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not sure this is right? Next time you go on a drive through a low traffic area, try holding your velocity at a specific speed, say 45 MPH, and now switch 1PD off or on. I think you will observe a change in velocity even though your foot pressure remains the same.
Could be, I'm not sure. I guess I just assumed, since slowing is it's main purpose. Maybe 1PD has it's own acceleration mapping totally different than either of the 3 drive modes?

I haven't tried 1PD enough to know for sure. I've gotten to where I like L much better than 1PD, so I use that all the time now (usually Engaged + L).

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
Nope. The MachE use blended braking in all modes. Using the brakes will initially use regen, then friction for the final stop and if full stopping power is requested. The brake pedal is not directly linked to the friction brakes. There is some belief that coasting is the most efficient way to drive an EV, and one of the German companies has no 1PD in their EV for that reason (Porsche Taycan, maybe???).

Ford claims equal efficiency in all modes, so use whichever mode makes you happiest.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is some belief that coasting is the most efficient way to drive an EV
That makes sense. Even as efficient as regen is, it doesn't recover 100% of the energy to took to get up to speed, or would take to get back up to speed. Thus ANY use of regen (or even worse, friction braking) wastes some energy vs coasting (which wastes no energy).

When driving in one of the modes with regen (E, U, L or 1PD), letting up on the accelerator pedal will apply some level of regen to slow you more than coasting. Most of time that's good because you need to slow down, but there are times (like on the highway) where we might let up on the pedal and apply some regen where simply coasting was all that was needed. And that would waste a small bit of energy each time.

It should be noted, though, that there is no true coasting in the MME. The motors are always engaged. So when we say "coasting", we really mean the balance point where electricity is no longer being applied or recovered. I assume that's what happens when not pushing either pedal in Whisper.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
almost 7,000 miles in. tires at 38 psi as it doesn't take long to warm up to 39. The ride is great no bounce or chop. The only roads that gave me a ruff time mainly were in Michigan. Mound road for one. Overall the ride is more of a glide through big dips in the road. Find the ride smoother than model y and way better than model 3. Audi with the air ride is amazing and also the polestar 2 rode smoother.

But different prices and different options. ID4 yes can turn on a dime but it is very stiff like the model y. But if people still think it's ruff for them I'm sure in time there will be third part parts out to change.

As for me enjoying my mache each day I can.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
It should be noted, though, that there is no true coasting in the MME. The motors are always engaged. So when we say "coasting", we really mean the balance point where electricity is no longer being applied or recovered.
That sounds like true coasting to me.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That sounds like true coasting to me.
I guess it depends on how you define it. I think of true coasting as no drag from the propultion system at all. But I assume there's always some drag (and loss of momentum) from the motors always being engaged.

Cnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Corvette Stingray, 2021 Mach E premium SR RWD
Country flag
almost 7,000 miles in. tires at 38 psi as it doesn't take long to warm up to 39. The ride is great no bounce or chop. The only roads that gave me a ruff time mainly were in Michigan. Mound road for one. Overall the ride is more of a glide through big dips in the road. Find the ride smoother than model y and way better than model 3. Audi with the air ride is amazing and also the polestar 2 rode smoother.

But different prices and different options. ID4 yes can turn on a dime but it is very stiff like the model y. But if people still think it's ruff for them I'm sure in time there will be third part parts out to change.

As for me enjoying my mache each day I can.
That's my main thing...the Mach E has everything I want and the e tron, polestar, and ID4 just don't do it for me. I also have no desire to own a Tesla, so I really am hoping the aftermarket comes through. This is the first time I've ever had an issue with how a vehicle's suspension rides and I've driven a wide range of vehicles, so I'm hoping that will be an easy fix for an otherwise amazing car which is why I went through with my purchase. Never thought my Corvette would be the smoother/more preferable riding vehicle in my garage lol.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
My C6 Corvette had Magnetic suspension and, yes, it is amazing. But the mag suspension is designed to be sort of bipolar. One minute you're driving Elvis' Caddy, the next a formula 1. However, with it you are 100% planted. No bouncing.

Ponypower50

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Our 2018 Lincoln MKC with the optional 19 inch wheels had sort of a bumpy ride. I got used to it. Now my Mache rides about the same.
Sponsored