Can't deal with the bouncy ride anymore after two weeks with the Mach-E. What do I do?

Moogly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Can you try Intelligent cruise control and see if you see a difference? It could also be you getting used to one pedal driving.. just a thought...
Sponsored

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Agreed on the MagneRide, it might fix this, but we weren't offered it, so I bounce all over town.

I haven't driven a Y, but I rented a 3 on Turo and I thought it had a very sporty ride, but without bounce like this has.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Possibly the roads around here in Florida are too smooth for it to bother me, or the OPs MachE was built wrong.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would say it has a performance minded suspension under it as it's name implies. Never seen a vet flying down the bumpy back streets. With your trucks you should know what a solid suspension feels like and it is not bouncy. Bouncy is something like floating (shocks) but not a rough ride. Wheel alignment and wheel balancing is more of a vibration than a bounce. Mine has no bounce at all that is why it is a bit rough on the bumps. Tire pressure and weight are a factor. Would the front motor be surging causing it to feel like a bounce? Would be best to test drive another or have his tech take his out. We can not compare what we have not driven.
I don't have a truck (I think you're thinking someone else), but I have had them in the past. I agree it's not quite the same as an unloaded truck bounce. That's usually more of a spring bounce. I'd characterize the MME issue (when it happens) as move of a wave. Kinda of like a boat riding on ocean waves. And again, for me, it's only on certain roads that have some wavy sectioning built in. My Escape just flows right thru the same roads without feeling hardly any waviness, while the MME really exaggerates it.

The MME isn't a Corvette, nor is intended for the same customer base. It's far more 4dr crossover, aimed at a crossover customer base that enjoys a little sporty looking style thrown in. And is intended for everyday use, year-round, even in snow and rain. Conditions that most people would leave the vet locked in the garage for half the year with a cover on top.

JoelOclock

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Wow. 5 pages of conjecture. I’ll never get that 20 minutes back.

OP you’ve been given good advice, test drive another and take to the dealer. Can we just get real data from accelerometer or info from a test drive comparison on what dealership is doing to fix? Not much point continuing this without either

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But also say it's even less smooth, and more jarring on any bumps. (That's the bigger issue for my tastes - the relatively hard ride over any bumps, below 55 MPH.)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

JimmyL

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Accord EXLN Hybrid
Occupation
Retired / Relaxing to the max.
Country flag
Just thinking out side the box. Maybe Ford's tire choice is at fault causing the bouncy effect. Could 335 tires create a different ride quality than 225's . And, the tire construction and load capacity. I don't want or expect excessive bouncing from a $50k vehicle.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e Premium AWD extended range
Country flag
I truly love almost everything about my Mach-E First Edition AWD ER, but my wife, son and I literally get car sick when we take it out for anything more than a ride through the neighborhood because it is so incredibly bouncy. As we drive along the expressway, you can actually see the light from our headlights bouncing up and down constantly because it is such a bouncy ride. I don't know what to do about this? Heck, I am happy to buy new shocks that are designed for touring, as opposed to performance, if that will help. I don't really want to have to consider this, but is returning a car an option? Is there something wrong with my Mach-E? I know others have reported a bouncy drive, but others don't seem to notice this at all from what I can tell? I have lowered the PSI in my tires to 37 hoping to address the comfort of the ride, but that has not helped.

Help! I don't know what to do to fix this. Admittedly, I am not a "car guy," so figuring this out is a mystery to me. I truly want to love this car and had such high hopes for it and would love to find a way to address the bounciness of the ride because I love everything else about it and have not really faced any of the other issues that people have reported. I am honestly happy to buy new shocks or something to smooth the ride out, but what other options do I have here? Would new shocks even help smooth things out?
Drive a lot faster and fly over the bumps lol

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Just thinking out side the box. Maybe Ford's tire choice is at fault causing the bouncy effect. Could 335 tires create a different ride quality than 225's . And, the tire construction and load capacity. I don't want or expect excessive bouncing from a $50k vehicle.
They're weirdly meh tires, not "luxury" tires or "sport" tires. They could have gone for a bit more quiet with the "Michelin Acoustic Technology" (aka foam insert) version of the tires they picked, or they could have given us actual grip with some Pilot Sport 4s. A strange middle of the road pick for a Mustang. But yes, I wonder if that's another variable to play with to improve the ride and the handling at the same time.

jlamarca73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia
Occupation
Ct technologist
Country flag
They're weirdly meh tires, not "luxury" tires or "sport" tires. They could have gone for a bit more quiet with the "Michelin Acoustic Technology" (aka foam insert) version of the tires they picked, or they could have given us actual grip with some Pilot Sport 4s. A strange middle of the road pick for a Mustang. But yes, I wonder if that's another variable to play with to improve the ride and the handling at the same time.
The MME I drove yesterday had upgraded 255 tires on 22" rims. It was still bouncy.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, this thread has covered everything by now.
OP, it's quite possible you have one or more damaged strut/shock absorbers. That would cause it to bounce excessively on any car.

Test drive another one and take yours to the dealer to have it inspected. If so, it's a warranty item and a quick swap out of the damaged one. @bellyer

Mike16

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD ER Star White
Country flag
What is the height of your seats? I tried lowest and highest seat position, it is not alot but someone sitting low and someone sitting high will have different feeling about the back and forth bounciness. I’m driving at the lowest seat position and I barely feel the bounce but I didn’t had enough time to validate that theories...

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Wow! So some people experience a "bouncy" ride, and some don't. Why?

When the Gen 13 (2015-2020) F-150 first came out, there were similar complaints about a "bouncy" or "unsettled" ride on the forums.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/bouncy-rear-end-322182/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/light-bouncy-rear-end-highway-340057/

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/shocking-353647/

The vast majority of posters did not have this problem, those that did got aftermarket shocks and they were satisfied with the results.

And the problem went away in later years.

So here is my question. Since there were 8 different part numbers for F-150 shocks, due to the different weights of the different models, can anyone see how many different part numbers there are for MME shocks?

Because shouldn't the shocks for a AWD Extended Range MME be different than RWD Standard Range?

If so, what is the possibility of mixing those shocks up in production? Or is that impossible? :)

On my 2016 F-150, my shocks had a white part # label on them. Do the MME's have something similar?

This is just a WAG, but you never know.
Sponsored