Car ignores charging schedule!

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach E AWD Premium Ext Bat - Rapid Red
Country flag
You're going to change cars because you can't buy a $5 outlet or timer?

110 charging for 99% of EV owners is useless. With a 3 hour charge window it is more than useless, unless you charge at work and barely drive.
You're going to change cars because you can't buy a $5 outlet or timer?

110 charging for 99% of EV owners is useless. With a 3 hour charge window it is more than useless, unless you charge at work and barely drive.
And also my three hour charge window was just to test the car. Turns out it doesn't work with longer windows either. This feels like a software issue which is fixable over OTA. If people want this flexibility with their car (and, if others offer it), I'm not sure why it shouldn't be flagged so it could be something we all get in the future.

You will not see me driving a Tesla in the future. I don't like driving something that looks like an overweight catfish.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Been an issue since at least 2018...

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Been an issue since at least 2018...
Great - well they advertise being able to charge however you want and but we learn it's not entirely the case. It also looks like another poster from earlier Saturday has the same problem with a level 2 setup.

Isn't the whole point of this forum to discuss a diverse set of experiences with this car so we can all hopefully get the best out of it and/ or push for changes that will help?

I did learn what an outlet timer was in your response so thanks for that - it does solve the issue (and is very cheap) but seems silly given the 60kish piece of technology behind it.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have my home location setup like this. Charge from 1-4am and max charge to 80pct. See below:

However in the Fordpass app I can't see any of the charge times I have set up for home location (I'm a pixel pro 6 Android user):

And yesterday I got this message. I have no departure times setup in my car:

So my car recognizes it's home and will charge to the 80pct limit. However if I plug it in it will charge immediately - it won't wait for the charging window.
You are charging in a 120V outlet? That is 1% per hour. You have set your window for 3 hours so maximum charge in your windows is about 3%. Many times that will not be long enough and it will charge right away. Many times a 24 hour time frame may not be enough to charge it to your set max charge.

If I had 120V it would be charge it any time as it is like a light blub. The only time a windowed schedule makes sense is with 240V charging (10%/hr).

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You are charging in a 120V outlet? That is 1% per hour. You have set your window for 3 hours so maximum charge in your windows is about 3%. Many times that will not be long enough and it will charge right away. Many times a 24 hour time frame may not be enough to charge it to your set max charge.

If I had 120V it would be charge it any time as it is like a light blub. The only time a windowed schedule makes sense is with 240V charging (10%/hr).
Again I was just testing the setting. And charging on 120v makes sense for me. I work from home mostly (thanks to pandemic) and when I do go in to office I take a public transportation from my suburb in NJ to NYC. It's a very common practice here. Even if I was going in everyday I would take public transit. Given traffic into/out of the city, parking in NYC, and extensive public transportation network here it just makes sense. I don't need to use a car everyday.

So yes standard outlet can work for me, and frankly others. I don't plan on only having this option at home but it's what I have right now as I just got my MME. I'll try on an L2 charger and report back if the scheduling is an issue. However, Another poster had my same issue w a level 2 charger.

The charge window i set was just a test. I did extend the window from midnight to 10am and the same thing happened. I was at 77pct battery trying to go to 80pct when I changed to the 10hr window. That's clearly doable in that time frame and still got the same results.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Again I was just testing the setting. And charging on 120v makes sense for me. I work from home mostly (thanks to pandemic) and when I do go in to office I take a public transportation from my suburb in NJ to NYC. It's a very common practice here. Even if I was going in everyday I would take public transit. Given traffic into/out of the city, parking in NYC, and extensive public transportation network here it just makes sense. I don't need to use a car everyday.

So yes standard outlet can work for me, and frankly others. I don't plan on only having this option at home but it's what I have right now as I just got my MME. I'll try on an L2 charger and report back if the scheduling is an issue. However, Another poster had my same issue w a level 2 charger.

The charge window i set was just a test. I did extend the window from midnight to 10am and the same thing happened. I was at 77pct battery trying to go to 80pct when I changed to the 10hr window. That's clearly doable in that time frame and still got the same results.
Set your windows for 20 hours not 3 to test? Still only 20% but I think 3% is what is giving you your problem (or 120V in itself). As noted 1%/hr or 120V is not the greatest to test charging windows. I am not sure of your rates and how much they fluctuate but it sounds like you will not be sucking a great deal of juice. 100 KW to fill it up (0 to 100%) and would take the 120 V 100 hours. How much is that at the most expensive rates compared to the super cheap ones? If a longer time does not fix it then you need to try a 240V test to ensure it is not working. As note 120V windows are not practical.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can set a 23 hour window, and be at 79% going to 80%, and it will still charge early. It can't figure it out, and that's reality. You can discuss it all you want, but it's a reality.

In 2018 I raised this issue to Ford. Became topic of weekly meeting of the EV group. Never resolved it. Mach-E did it when I got it, and realized they never solved it.

A WiFi outlet is under $10. Get one rated for 15 amps.

You should know that with 110v charging, you cannot effectively use departure times as it's not enough juice, and remote start will use the battery and the outlet.

My PHEV was designed to use 110. This car isn't.

Last edited:

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You can set a 23 hour window, and be at 79% going to 80%, and it will still charge early. It can't figure it out, and that's reality. You can discuss it all you want, but it's a reality.

In 2018 I raised this issue to Ford. Became topic of weekly meeting of the EV group. Never resolved it. Mach-E did it when I got it, and realized they never solved it.

A WiFi outlet is under $10. Get one rated for 15 amps.

You should know that with 110v charging, you cannot effectively use departure times as it's not enough juice, and remote start will use the battery and the outlet.

My PHEV was designed to use 110. This car isn't.
Thanks for the info sounds like you know that for fact. It should be fixed but again if you are plugged into a trickle charger why? I have used 120V only when at a destination and have never had to worry about it charging too fast. I owe them a couple of bucks after a day.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info sounds like you know that for fact. It should be fixed but again if you are plugged into a trickle charger why? I have used 120V only when at a destination and have never had to worry about it charging too fast. I owe them a couple of bucks after a day.
Yup. Countless hours on the phone with an EV team member who would take notes and go back to the team. Endless resets. Finally got disgusted and used a WiFi outlet for 3 years. When we got the Mach-E unexpectedly (canceled order), and it had the same issue, I posted it and then realized it was the same issue.

This is why when I researched 240v chargers, I only considered intelligent ones. My charger will not charge during peak hours no matter what FordPass says. I can override it if needed in the app.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yup. Countless hours on the phone with an EV team member who would take notes and go back to the team. Endless resets. Finally got disgusted and used a WiFi outlet for 3 years. When we got the Mach-E unexpectedly (canceled order), and it had the same issue, I posted it and then realized it was the same issue.

This is why when I researched 240v chargers, I only considered intelligent ones. My charger will not charge during peak hours no matter what FordPass says. I can override it if needed in the app.
At 40 amp I can count on one ring to rule them all and that is simpler for me. My off peak is more than my windowed schedule and still not a problem charging within it. I went for a dumb charger for that reason. I don't need to know the details and better for me that it works thru just one AI. Less maintenance ;). Just differences on what works for them.
Sponsored