NoPlanetB

First Name
Henning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD ER
Country flag
New video from Car Maniac comparing the charging time, and some other aspects, of the BMW iX3 against the Mustang Mach-E and the Audi e-tron. Here is my English transcript:

"You would like to know how fast the iX3 can charge? Especially in comparison with the Mustang Mach-E and the Audi e-tron, which I have both tested against each other … then you are just right here at Car Maniac, cos that’s exactly what we are going to do. We drove it down to 6% remaining SoC … I don’t think you would normally go down much further than that with an electric vehicle. We will of course also see the charging curve since I have prepared the GoPro which will be shown as an inset. In the video you will also learn how we drove it to make it empty, and of course how much it consumed, what the range was, and so forth. Also don’t miss the review, give a thumbs-up for the algorithm, subscribe to the channel, so that we reach the 150,000 mark soon, and now let’s go – come with me.

In my main review of the iX3 you will see all relevant aspects around driving – on the motorway, in town, driver assistance systems, efficiency – which of course is a topic here as well, along with a rough summary of what I will discuss in the main video in more detail.

The iX3 is really a very good vehicle for road trips, with great assistance systems, great configurability of the assistance systems, where you have a lot of settings you can make. Not quite as many as in the Ford Mustang Mach-E, but quite a few. Great graphical displays to aid with the configurations. Here we have a great display for the steer assist and the adaptive cruise control. Like with Tesla, vehicles driving past are displayed. For example if I try to change lanes now it will correct that and won’t let me pull over as another car came out of the blind spot … an X3 M40d in this case by the way … and this is really very good. The suspension is very comfortable. The only thing about which I am a little sceptical is the efficiency. Maybe it is like the i3, which is super super efficient at warm temperatures, but at colder temperatures it becomes a little less efficient. It’s the same here. There are various videos where it is said that it [the iX3] is efficient. I cannot really confirm that right now, which is of course also due to going up and down the hills, which is of course part of going along the motorway. But also due to the weather conditions: it is wet and -0.5 °C. The average consumption is 28 kWh/100km. We drove out and back so that effects average out. The average speed has been 120 km/h. One aspect where it falls behind the Mustang Mach-E it that the Mach-E has 14 kWh more. The other thing is that IMO it is not quite as powerful at high speeds. If you floor it about 140 km/h you will notice that you are not in an EQC and not in an e-tron. You would also notice that in a Mustang Mach-E RWD with 269 hp, even more so, since it has even less horse power than this one here. But it is a really good vehicle for road trips. For most people this acceleration thing does not really matter. It is limited at 180 km/h, like the EQC and the Mach-E; only the e-tron is faster. The question is whether you need that. Outside of Germany clearly not. If you live in Germany you might want to go 200 every now and then. Should be left up to the driver. It has speed limit recognition, so now it speeds up again due to the speed limit sign, 120 km/h in this case. But you can oversteer the system as it suits you, and go 10, 20, 30 faster – although of course you shouldn’t do that …

OK, so much for that. You will see more details in my review that will come out. Now we are going to the charging station to see how fast it will charge up. This is almost as important as the efficiency.

Selecting the charge point … we’ll take this one … it can do 150 kW … just like the iX3 … so that’s perfect … here we even have labelling ‘AC’ and ‘DC’ … nicely done … you can open them independently … we need both now for DC … we take the plug that is flashing and plug it in … and check what percentage it is at … 7% … a perfect value to approach a charging station with … shouldn’t be any less really. One small comment on this: I find it strange and a bit of a shame that BMW has done away with the SoC indicator in percent on the dash. I don’t know what the justification for that might be. In the Volvo XC40 Recharge it is the other way round: it shows the SoC in percent but not the remaining range. Really strange. That’s not great. Well, you have to go by the range [in the iX3]. We approached the charging station with 16 km. I think you won’t normally do any less. It is now ramping up the charge rate … and look at that … that’s is impressive … it started off at 150 straight away … that is really impressive … you really cannot complain … because that’s the promised charge rate … right from the start. The iX3 is now happily charging away …

There is a big player in the BEV segment that is the benchmark … which the iX3 will not beat … but let’s see how close it can get … the Audi e-tron … which also charges at 150 kW. If you are well-versed in electromobility you will know that it is not only the [peak] charge rate that matters but also the shape of the charging curve. The e-tron can do 150 kW, the Mach-E can do 150 kW, and this one as well. So they should be equally fast? But they are not. The e-tron can do 7 to 80% in 26 minutes. We have established that in the comparison with the Mach-E. The Mach-E needed 39 minutes for the same exercise. That’s a difference of 13 minutes. The question is: how big is your tolerance? When you stop with the family the 13 minutes won’t matter so much … especially taking into account that the BMW iX3 comes at a very different price point. It’s in a similar segment as the Mach-E … although for 67k€ the Mach-E comes with 350 hp and AWD. Here we have 286 hp and only RWD. But it’s a BMW … quality maybe … built in China though … some were sceptical about that … but it’s a fact that these 150 kW are a good number if it ramps up nicely and keeps it at that level. At this price that is totally OK, because the vehicle is fully specced at 75k€, whereas for the Audi there is almost no upper limit … there are some for 125, 130k … mine cost 115k … you need to decide whether that’s worth it for you. There is definitely a difference but the question is how large is it. But I am really much more interested in the comparison between the iX3 and the Mach-E. Because I believe that customers that are interested in one of them will also consider the other, whereas the e-tron is in a different league because it is simply too expensive.

I am curious how it will do … we will observe that now … we will check at 50% … and then of course at 80%.

I have moved inside … quite advisable in this weather … here it displays what we also see on the charging station … except for the duration of the session so far … we are now charging at 121 kW … and have 71 km … a good value IMO … since up until now it has been charging at 145 kW … the question is how long have we been charging … that’s something I cannot see … in contrast, the Mustang Mach-E’s central screen shows how long you have been charging but not the charge rate … apparently which each car you have to die one death … here you can see the charge rate … I personally like that better … I like to see the charge rate on the inside … because I like to be able to say, that’s enough, the rate has gone down, I am stopping here and leaving … so I don’t have to stand next to the charging station all the time and watch. Right now it is looking good for the iX3. However, 80% are less here that in the e-tron and in the Mach-E, so that needs to be taken into account. Electromobility is a science in itself.

Alright, my friends, we have reached 80% after 34 minutes and 50 seconds. What does this mean for us? If you have watched my Mustang Mach-E video with the comparison against the e-tron you will say, hang on, the e-tron is the fastest with 26 minutes, then this one here with 35, and the Mach-E took 39. But we have charged just under 55 kWh in this time. Under the e-tron vs. Mach-E video some of you have commented that it is not just about how fast a car charges to 80% but also how far it can go with that charge and how large the battery is. Because for an iX3 80% is not the same number of kWhs as for an e-tron or a Mach-E because the battery is smaller here. The math is as follows … here we have charged four minutes faster … but almost 9 kWh less than in the Mach-E. Now looking at the efficiency … my e-tron consumes just the same in these weather conditions … the Mach-E as well … you can reckon with 27 and 30 kWh [/100 km] for all three vehicles … it varies a little with the driving style … but I do think that with a vehicle like this you will want to do 130 [km/h] when you can … maybe 120 … something like that. Which means that if they all have similar efficiency, 80% will give you 211 km in the iX3 … smaller battery and same efficiency as the others … and about 230 km in the e-tron … and about 245 km in the Mach-E. So with similar efficiency the larger battery wins. So the iX3 loses out a bit. But if you don’t make that comparison and only look at the charging time … if you drive a distance of 240 km in the iX3 … in these weather conditions, do note … and then you charge for 35 minutes, then you can drive another 211 km. That’s quite good. So you can manage a distance of say 450 km with a charging stop of 35 minutes. And that’s fine, because it is winter, my hands are freezing, it is -2 or -3°C … in the summer things will be different.

These are the main things that you need to know about the iX3. It did well but it cannot keep up with the Mach-E and the e-tron … same efficiency, smaller battery … probably something to do with the cW-value [drag coefficient] … 0.29 … 0.24 for the e-tron … and the Mach-E is really also quite efficient for what it offers … and this shows that the e-tron isn’t really that inefficient because it is the most powerful one of the three.

In this vein, thanks for watching … don’t forget the main review of this vehicle where you will find out everything about how it drives … thumbs-up for the algorithm … do subscribe … and do tell me in the comments what you think of the charge rate of this vehicle, or generally. Ciao."
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I noticed the iX3 charged to 50kWh in about the same amount of time as the Mach-E.

The e-tron officially gets 2.2mi/kWh (more like 2mi) so out of the 62kWh gained in 26 mins going from 10% to 80%, that's 124-136 miles of range.

The MME 4X was able to get 45kWh in 26 minutes [Interrupted charging sessions, 17kWh (9mins)+ 4kWh (2mins) + 24kW (15mins)]. Depending on efficiency of 2.5-3.1 miles/kWh, we have between 112-140 miles of range for the same amount of charging time.

Thanks @NoPlanetB for taking the time to translate!!