First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Select Standard Range RWD
Occupation
CAD Engineer
Cheap EV charging rates for me are 12am - 3pm. I have my preferred charging times set to 12am - 3pm. Usually it works just fine, but every now and then it will start charging at 9pm. And it's not random, every time it messes up it starts 3 hours early, at 9pm. Anyone else see something like this, or have any advice how to fix.
I have the Grizzl-e dumb charger (I don't have internet in my garage, its detached) so smart charger where I can set times is not really an option.
Sponsored

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
Cheap EV charging rates for me are 12am - 3pm. I have my preferred charging times set to 12am - 3pm. Usually it works just fine, but every now and then it will start charging at 9pm. And it's not random, every time it messes up it starts 3 hours early, at 9pm. Anyone else see something like this, or have any advice how to fix.
I have the Grizzl-e dumb charger (I don't have internet in my garage, its detached) so smart charger where I can set times is not really an option.
It seems like the car is forgetting your timezone, and reverting to Dearborn time (ET).
Perhaps change your preferred charging times to 3am - 3pm. That way, it will never start before 12am PT and you should still have enough time to fully charge each night.

OP
OP
aggiepm

aggiepm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CAD Engineer
ya, I did move it to 3am to be paranoid. I also noticed in another post of someone noticing that their user profiles were all the same time. Wonder if the guest profile has a different time zone, if that is even possible.... I will have to check it out next time I am in the car.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don’t think my time is off for anything on my Ford charging station. I usually have mine set to start at six at night and it starts about two minutes after six. I don’t have a problem with that and I really don’t have a problem with the estimated time it’s gonna reach my percentage. Like tonight it says it’s gonna reach 100% and I don’t do 100% all the time. I just do it to go for a long run this weekend. But it says 1123 as an estimate to complete charging but it’s already at 98% and it’s only 1040 so I guess that’s not an accurate estimate? I don’t believe any time is off on mine I guess but it does that all the time it always usually finishes an hour before it says it’s gonna finish.

just updating this I guess the percentage slows down the closer it gets to 100 so right now they’re still one percent to go. I’m at 270 miles so it looks like it’s probably gonna finish up right around 1123.

Last edited:

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What rate are you charging at? And how much charge is needed on the times it is charging outside the window? If the car can not fully charge within the programmed window it will begin charging outside the window. Might not be your issue but I thought I would throw it out there.

Not sure if a programmed departure time might also have a effect.

shayna

First Name
niekdoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kia picanto
Country flag
I'm encountering an issue where at whatever point I plug in the charging link at home (haven't attempted elsewhere yet) the infotainment framework shows "Charge right away" thus it begins charging.

Tutuapp 9Apps

Last edited:

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I don’t think my time is off for anything on my Ford charging station. I usually have mine set to start at six at night and it starts about two minutes after six. I don’t have a problem with that and I really don’t have a problem with the estimated time it’s gonna reach my percentage. Like tonight it says it’s gonna reach 100% and I don’t do 100% all the time. I just do it to go for a long run this weekend. But it says 1123 as an estimate to complete charging but it’s already at 98% and it’s only 1040 so I guess that’s not an accurate estimate? I don’t believe any time is off on mine I guess but it does that all the time it always usually finishes an hour before it says it’s gonna finish.

just updating this I guess the percentage slows down the closer it gets to 100 so right now they’re still one percent to go. I’m at 270 miles so it looks like it’s probably gonna finish up right around 1123.
the estimated "charging complete" is wildly inaccurate, and the "time on charger" includes all the time it was plugged in whether charging or not.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
If it cannot hit the targeted SOC in the charge window, it will start early. 120v users can buy this to prevent it - https://amzn.to/4b3yBFj

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
the estimated "charging complete" is wildly inaccurate, and the "time on charger" includes all the time it was plugged in whether charging or not.
It’s funny the closer got to 100% the more the kilowatts went down so it actually finished at midnight and it actually changed to say it was gonna finish at midnight and it actually did lol.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
It’s funny the closer got to 100% the more the kilowatts went down so it actually finished at midnight and it actually changed to say it was gonna finish at midnight and it actually did lol.
This is expected behavior, and not an inaccurate report from FordPass.
The battery management system spends time slowly evening out the voltage across the different cells as it’s nearing 100%. Yes it could take another hour to finish those last few pct and it’s good for the battery to occasionally have this calibration performed.

OP
OP
aggiepm

aggiepm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CAD Engineer
What rate are you charging at? And how much charge is needed on the times it is charging outside the window? If the car can not fully charge within the programmed window it will begin charging outside the window. Might not be your issue but I thought I would throw it out there.

Not sure if a programmed departure time might also have a effect.
This is not the issue, it has always been able to finish charging a good 8-10 hours before the end of the charge window, and I don't have any departure time set

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is expected behavior, and not an inaccurate report from FordPass.
The battery management system spends time slowly evening out the voltage across the different cells as it’s nearing 100%. Yes it could take another hour to finish those last few pct and it’s good for the battery to occasionally have this calibration performed.
I’m pretty much charging to 80-85% all the time, I just wanted to go to 100 since I got the new tires and try some highway driving and see if when I get to 50% I have like 138 miles remaining that’ll tell me I guess that’s accurate if I have less than 138 is that how many miles I’ve lost I don’t know it’s just a guess O meter thing. I know I’m thinking wrong because there’s so many things involved. It could be cool when I’m driving it could get hotter. The air conditioner could be running more so I have no idea. I’m interested though to see when I get out there and drive a little bit today trying to get some of these damn updates to come through so I guess the 20 minute drives I take every day are helping?

OP
OP
aggiepm

aggiepm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CAD Engineer
Ford Mustang Mach-E Car sometimes starts charging 3 hours early 1000014640

Here's and example. The charge window is set for 12am to 3pm way more than enough time to get in a charge. No departure time set. But it still started way early.

Jerrytball

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
1000014640.png

Here's and example. The charge window is set for 12am to 3pm way more than enough time to get in a charge. No departure time set. But it still started way early.
That really sounds like a time zone thing going on. You’ve looked everywhere. I take it?

OP
OP
aggiepm

aggiepm

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CAD Engineer
That really sounds like a time zone thing going on. You’ve looked everywhere. I take it?
that's what I think too, but I've looked everywhere I can think, and like I've said before, it doesn't always do it, maybe like 20% of the time
Sponsored