Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT 2023 Rivian R1S
Country flag
Thank you for your detailed post. It answered many questions a lot of us we were having about A2Z and other third party adaptors. Unfortunately, after reading your post, I tried the A2Z site. As soon as almost everyone found that the adaptor works, the orders are pouring in. Estimated times of delivery are now projected into the summer.
It looks like you have an adaptor that works until the Ford adaptor arrives.
Unless I am reading this wrong if ordered today you can expect delivery in mid-April, which is not summer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charged Mach-E at Tesla Supercharger via Adapter 1711246520937-ym
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Unless I am reading this wrong if ordered today you can expect delivery in mid-April, which is not summer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charged Mach-E at Tesla Supercharger via Adapter 1711246520937-ym
After you register and order, a more accurate shipping date is generated in your log in area.

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag

I read the same thing. It is the sentence underneath that made me wonder. If you get it at that designated time, then I stay corrected. Honestly, let us know if the timeline is correct.

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. Do I need the powerup OTA to use the A2Z adapter? Because I don't have much for OTA updates.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Curious if the Tesla certificate is showing up in your Ford Pass Plug&Charge list? Someone said it may actually be there even if it's not showing in FP yet. Mine doesn't, even though I got the PowerUp in 2/29. I'm tempted to try a MagicDock nearby just to test it.

I seem to have the opposite situation. I have the certificate but don't yet have the needed update for P&C at Tesla. It's rather odd.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charged Mach-E at Tesla Supercharger via Adapter IMG_3126.PNG

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the write up. Do I need the powerup OTA to use the A2Z adapter? Because I don't have much for OTA updates.
No, you don't. You'll not be able to do Plug and Charge, but you can initiate a charge using either FordPass or the Tesla app. (You don't need to get the Tesla app to charge, but if you already have it, that's an option.)

Rj786

First Name
Raza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mache Premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recently received my A2Z NACS adapter and decided to visit the closest supported Tesla Supercharger for testing (Ford adapter wasn't going to arrive in time for planned trips). Charged from 19% to 80%. In short, everything worked as expected. 👍 Kudos to Tesla and Ford engineers for getting everything worked out so this is a superior charging experience. Parking to get the cable to reach is the worst part.

First, I have some tips for pulling up:
  • You will have to pull up really far so your nose is over the curb.
  • Make sure there are no objects in the plane between the Supercharger dispensers like bollards or lamp posts.
    • Some spots may not be usable by Fords because of obstacles.
  • Try to use the spot furthest to the right first. Park next to other non-Teslas if possible.
  • Especially if you have a GT, also make sure there aren't objects sticking up from the ground that will scrape your front splitter.
    • I've seen spots with electrical boxes or bollard remnants sticking up from the ground.
  • Ignore the lines on the ground when pulling up. You should be focused on the dispenser pedestal and positioning your vehicle in reference to that only. Shoot the gap between the dispensers.
  • Pretend the side of the Supercharger is like your garage door jamb when you're pulling in your garage. You want to be as far left as possible while driving past without touching. Pull up until your front left corner is right beside the dispenser.
Here's what optimal positioning looks like. Driver's view:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charged Mach-E at Tesla Supercharger via Adapter IMG_3126.PNG

Tire is almost touching curb:

Of course each site is different so positioning may vary. I want to emphasize that not every space at a Supercharger will be usable for Fords because of obstacles, always look and verify the area is clear for your nose before pulling in. At this Supercharger, I could not use 2 of the 8 spots. There was a big concrete lamppost base between two of the chargers, and the end spot was not available to me because there was a bollard to the right of that dispenser. So I had to use the second dispenser from the right (which takes up two Tesla spots). But I did this late at night so I had the Supercharger all to myself. Behold the glory of 8 working stalls to choose from:

Plug & Charge worked great, shortest handshake time ever (~15 sec). 👏 I fully preconditioned to 26ºC before leaving home, but the battery had cooled off during the drive to 17ºC. My peak rate was only about 120 kW at 19% and the boost was very short because of the sub-optimal battery temps. Couldn't do anything about that because we can't en-route precondition to Superchargers yet, and there were no other nearby chargers to substitute in the nav. Hopefully they add them soon so we can get preconditioning and max rates.

Here's the charge curve from 19% to 80%. Again, weird dip at the beginning because of cold battery temps:

The full 500 amps is available to use the whole time. Not many CCS chargers are capable of 500A or maintained to that level. No "limited by charger" here, full power baby!

And this is for the charger nerds, but this is exquisite output regulation. Delivered amps perfectly tracks requested amps, within one amp, without delay. 🤤 Why can't other companies make DC chargers that function perfectly like this?

One good change I noticed is the software allows the battery temp to get up to 40ºC after the update, before it would only allow 35ºC max which was too conservative. This should help decrease slowdowns from thermal throttling in hotter temps and reduce A/C compressor noise/use.

The A2Z adapter worked fine and didn't even get warm (15ºF temps). I verified the safety interlocks on both latches work and present the 330 Ω load if opened. The adapter is dense, very tough and feels like quality construction. The tolerances were good, the Tesla cable seemed like a perfect fit without getting stuck, same with the CCS side. The only annoying thing about it was the latch for the Tesla cable. It's a little difficult to slide, which could be a challenge for some people. The slide could have been made more ergonomic, perhaps with a triangular profile or knurled texture. But it works and I have no other option right now, so can't complain too much.

And now for a story. So while I was sitting at the deserted Supercharger wondering if any Teslas would show up and react to newfound awesomeness at their station, of all things a KIA EV6 pulls in and backs up. It's a couple. Wife gets out and tried to plug in, and that went about as expected. I walked over and told them it wouldn't work with their car. She said her car told her it would. 😬 I replied "It only works with Teslas, Fords, and Rivians right now". She asked where the next charger was, I told them. Well, the next CCS charger was a 50 kW unit 41 miles down the interstate in the direction they were headed. The only other option was to backtrack 31 miles to the Electrify America station they had already passed. So if you're doing the math, that's a 72 mile stretch on I-94 without a CCS charger, but the Supercharger is right in the middle of that stretch. After looking at their navigation for a few minutes, they left.

I don't know how low they were, but having to go an extra 30-40 miles to the next charger in 15ºF temps could be a dicey situation. I hope they made it. Clearly they were inexperienced owners to think a Tesla Supercharger would work on their KIA, but if their navigation system sent them there, that's a major fail for KIA. I felt bad if that was the case, that's shouldn't happen to anyone. They were probably pretty embarrassed and frustrated. Accurate route planning to compatible, functioning chargers is critical. It also shows how important it is for everyone to access the Superchargers, especially ones in areas where there are no other CCS chargers nearby. I was able to charge and they couldn't, even if I had let them use my adapter. Realizing the degree of disparity here, I was unsettled. Changing needs to be equal for everyone already.

So in summary, the Plug & Charge Supercharger experience is great and getting access is a big deal. This will help non-Tesla travel in some areas immensely. I'm hoping to use a few Superchargers for a trip in a couple weeks, the alternative is a bunch of less reliable stations that are slower. The A2Z adapter works fine and others can't come soon enough. There's going to be a lot of charging disparity until everyone can get access. Dawn of a new age for EVs, the world just got smaller.
[/QUO

This is very informative and Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Alas my Free adaptor from Ford will arrive in Sept so I have to wait to experience. It first hand.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Thanks for the write-up. It was informative. Surprised we can't precondition to a SC though. I thought that would be a simple thing on Ford's side. Just add "new destination" in their server.

I had no idea about the A2Z Adapter, I had heard of the Lectron one from State of Charge You Tube. Are you surprised that Tesla didn't' make the adapter part of the "hand-shake", or I guess that would be counter productive for business. He is now in the business of selling electricity and not so much on the adapters. Tesla's cost on the adapter could not have been too much since Ford is giving the initial ones out for free. #JIMFARLEY!!!

music_cities

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2022 GT
Country flag
No, you don't. You'll not be able to do Plug and Charge, but you can initiate a charge using either FordPass or the Tesla app. (You don't need to get the Tesla app to charge, but if you already have it, that's an option.)
Thanks! I think the person that Ford has making and shipping adapters is a bit overbooked so mine doesn't ship until June. But I'm not planning any road trips until June either. Do you think that the individual that makes the adapters is also in charge of typing in VINs and pressing the button to send out OTAs? Because that might explain why my OTAs are so slow, now the person has twice as much work to do in their 40 hour work week.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Thanks! I think the person that Ford has making and shipping adapters is a bit overbooked so mine doesn't ship until June. But I'm not planning any road trips until June either. Do you think that the individual that makes the adapters is also in charge of typing in VINs and pressing the button to send out OTAs? Because that might explain why my OTAs are so slow, now the person has twice as much work to do in their 40 hour work week.
Ford is not making the adapter

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The taper before 80% has been in the software for a little while, I had that back in October when I used a Magic Dock Supercharger:

The above is a more ideal curve because I was able to get the battery fully warm. Versus last night:

(Spikes are because of the heater switching on an off, which is normal)

So they have definitely been tweaking the charge curve slightly over the past couple years. I need to do a full curve sometime on a 70ºF day when I can actually get the battery fully warmed up.
Interesting that they’re playing around with the curve a bit but we’re going in the wrong direction. Seems like the charging times are now longer with these tweaks. Gah.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Trying to think of a stopgap measure until Tesla Superchargers are added to navigation...

Will the vehicle precondition if a L2 charger is entered in Navigation? If so you could pick a nearby L2 charger to precondition when traveling, which presents more options. Otherwise, selecting the closest CCS charger enroute probably would have worked.
No, it won't precondition for level 2.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
On the other hand, I've had good luck preconditioning for chargers over 40mi before my destination charger when the charger isn't in navigation.
Since there is no way to precondition without heading to a DC fast charger, how are you doing this? And, the Ford system starts at 30km (18.6m).

ChehRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext. Range
Occupation
ret
Country flag
Is it bad faith or incompetence that is stopping Ford from adding a Precondition Button on the screen? Of is there some technical reason?

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Since there is no way to precondition without heading to a DC fast charger, how are you doing this? And, the Ford system starts at 30km (18.6m).
You enter the charger in navigation.

Say you're on the interstate at milemarker 140. You want to precondition for a charger at m/m 100 but it's not in navigation. However there is a charger at m/m 120. You enter the m/m 120 charger in nav and just ignore the directions.

Theoretically, you should arrive with the battery having more time to warm up than if it was in navigation. I've done this to charge at full speed at a new Ultium charger on I81.
Sponsored