David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Ex Mustang Mach E Starlight White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does anyone know what is the cost per kwh for energy purchaseos at a Tesla Supercharger to us Mach-E owners??
Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Varies at different locations. See Plugshare.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Does anyone know what is the cost per kwh for energy purchaseos at a Tesla Supercharger to us Mach-E owners??
It varies by location. Check the Tesla app or website for pricing.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Prices vary at each location. Some locations vary by time of day. Some locations are cheaper than EA, many are more expensive.

OP
OP

DC Pony

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Ex Mustang Mach E Starlight White
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've looked at the Tesla website and the prices in my area (Missouri) are pretty uniformly $0.42 per kwh. If my Mustang MME gets 3.3 miles per kwh then I'm spending $0.14 per mile traveled.

If I have a ICE getting 30 mpg and the price of gas $3.00/gallon then it costs me $0.10 per mile traveled.

Obviously, the cost of charging at a home based charger is significantly cheaper.

My contention is that for trips where you have to use a DC fast charger (Tesla or otherwise) it might be more economical and convenient (ie. no long stops for charging) to rent an ICE vehicle.

Just a thought. I'll probably continue to drive my MME because I like the other features ie. Bluecruise.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've looked at the Tesla website and the prices in my area (Missouri) are pretty uniformly $0.42 per kwh. If my Mustang MME gets 3.3 miles per kwh then I'm spending $0.14 per mile traveled.

If I have a ICE getting 30 mpg and the price of gas $3.00/gallon then it costs me $0.10 per mile traveled.

Obviously, the cost of charging at a home based charger is significantly cheaper.

My contention is that for trips where you have to use a DC fast charger (Tesla or otherwise) it might be more economical and convenient (ie. no long stops for charging) to rent an ICE vehicle.

Just a thought. I'll probably continue to drive my MME because I like the other features ie. Bluecruise.
Your point has been brought up before. Your are leaving out two important factors.

1) You left your house with a full battery, at much lower cost.

2) On your trip, if you have a hotel stay, you may be able to find free charging. On our recent 4,700 mile trip, 36.6% was free.

Your 3.3 miles per kWh is too high for highway driving, as is the comparable 30mpg for a comparable vehicle IMO. I'd use 3.0 and 25mpg.

On my recent 5,300 mile trip with our Lightning, many areas were much more expensive than 42 cents. 29% was free. I spent $660.27 on charging including my home fill and my son's house, so 12.4 cents per mile. Assuming $3.15 gas on my previous truck, a 2013 F-150, and 18mpg, that would be $933.80. Cheaper to drive the EV...

In Missouri, EA seems to be 48 cents. With Pass+, that's 36 cents or 14.3% below Tesla. That's 10.9 cents. Of course you can pay Tesla $12.99 and get a discount (20%?).

Yes, you can make it more expensive to take a trip with an EV. I can also buy premium gas and make the gas vehicle more expensive.

Last edited:

NC-GT

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT Performance

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the link. I didn’t realize Tesla SC had different prices based upon the time of day.
SOME do. Some don't.

I haven't seen an EA charger that is time of day based, but rates vary widely across the country. In some areas, they vary by location within miles.

BudC

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E Select RWD Star White Metallic
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This EA charger by my house is $0.56...what the ???

Ford Mustang Mach-E Cost of charging at Tesla Supercharger? 1711460937482-0b

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
I compared Tesla rates with a co-worker who has a M3 at the same charger location and same time on our apps.

His was $0.15-$0.20 lower than my per kW rate charging a non Tesla.

Still, the Tesla rate is in line with my EVGo and EA chargers that I have been using so not bad for Tesla to still be competitive.

Rates vary depending on time of day with Tesla with late night / early morning being much cheaper.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This EA charger by my house is $0.56...what the ???
The highest I have seen is 64 cents. But, with the Pass+ discount, it's not 56 cents, it's 42 cents. Breakeven is quite quick, by the 2nd charge at most.

I compared Tesla rates with a co-worker who has a M3 at the same charger location and same time on our apps.

His was $0.15-$0.20 lower than my per kW rate charging a non Tesla.

Still, the Tesla rate is in line with my EVGo and EA chargers that I have been using so not bad for Tesla to still be competitive.

Rates vary depending on time of day with Tesla with late night / early morning being much cheaper.
As you know, you can pay $12.99 a month and get the same rate. Breakeven would be a few charges for a Mach-E.
Sponsored