Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium eAWD
Occupation
Technical Analyst
Country flag
Since I got mine fixed I've been having issues where it won't precondition. Sometimes I get an error and sometimes not, but the charging ring will be amber indicating a problem and the preconditioning will not start. Is anybody else having this issue too?
I have not had the update yet. Was planning on getting it done with my 10k maintenance. Now Iā€™m afraid to. Does this only happen with preconditioning?
Sponsored

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Had 22 Select & 23 Lightning. 23 RT1
Country flag
I have not had the update yet. Was planning on getting it done with my 10k maintenance. Now Iā€™m afraid to. Does this only happen with preconditioning?
Yes, so far the initialization of the preconditioning seems to be the trigger for the error.

OP
OP
zvez

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Since I got mine fixed I've been having issues where it won't precondition. Sometimes I get an error and sometimes not, but the charging ring will be amber indicating a problem and the preconditioning will not start. Is anybody else having this issue too?
I don't pre condition so can't really help. Just curious do you think it could be the evse causing the problem and not the car?

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't pre condition so can't really help. Just curious do you think it could be the evse causing the problem and not the car?
I donā€™t think that is the cause as it has never given me an issue at all in 7 years. But, I need to do some more testing on different chargers at work to see if I can duplicate it. I think I had it happen with one otherā€¦.but canā€™t remember for sure.

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach e Premium AWD X
Thanks everyone for this thread! We are new owners of a September 2023 build, and it appears our car has this bug. The car is set to charge from 12-6AM. The charge port indicator continues lit after the set charge level is met, and the EVSE (Juicebox) status light indicates charging, but the battery does not continue to increase charge level. I don't hear any unusual noises, but it is in the mid-50's in the garage and I am charging at low Amps.

The workaround I just did is to set the Juicebox to only charge from midnight-6AM. After 6 AM the charge indicator goes off. I hope an update is sent out soon for this. The car software does not appear to have had any updates that I can tell.
My car seems to be doing the same thing.

The car was built in July of 2023, it's a Premium AWD X.

Charging thus far, with two exceptions, is with Ford's travel charger using the 110 pigtail. (The exceptions are two Volta/Shell free 240v charges in the local Wegmans grocery store/other retailers complex - first time was just to dip my toe into public charging, second time was a spot was avaialbe and the car needed a little juice. No problems. In both cases I terminated the charging when doen getting groceries.) My ChargePoint 240v evse is being installed next week.

I have my home charging limit set to 80%. I have FP set up, with the % charge limit set on FP, it seems to work. No time limits set on charging, I'm retired so don't particularly worry about particular windows ... when I absolutely don't want any charging, I simply unplug things.

Back to the issue, after seeing this thread I decided to pay more attention to what the car was doing. In my most recent home charge, eventually FP said charge reached 80%. After a time lag from having signaled 80% reached, FP indicated charging was complete, both in written message and via its icons.

But the charge ring indicator in the port was still flashing blue and the Ford mobile evse was still flashing blue. As I understand the manual, flashing blue indicates charging is underway. FP, however, did not register any further increase in charge % or estimated range.

I also checked inside the car and the % charge and estimated range agreed with FP readings. It also said on dash that it had reached the set charge level. Ford.com 'dashboard' agrees with estimated mileage but says charge is 98% which I take to be the LVB and not the HVB which is at 80%.

In slightly rerunning the experiment, I double checked the 'stop charging' command. My car and antique iPhone 12 mini agree to agree on obeying the stop charge command. charge ring lights go solid blue, then go off and stay off, and evse goes from blinking to solid blue.

I understand I've not added knowledge to this thread ... I've just shared my hard earned experience, šŸ˜Š, over 3 1/2 weeks and 300 miles of ownership. My options seem to include 1) decide this issue doesn't indicate something that's broken enough to fix , or conclude 2) something isn't quite right and out of an abundance of caution schedule an appoinment with the Ford store and come equiped with a printout of the page in this thread that shared some detail from Ford. I'm inclined to go with #2 but don't feel it's hyper urgent to get it checked.

That said, question, am I missing something that indicates this really is a current or potenially major problem that ought to addressed ASAP?

best regards to all,

DRCal68

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Premium 4X Ext, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Country flag

In slightly rerunning the experiment, I double checked the 'stop charging' command. My car and antique iPhone 12 mini agree to agree on obeying the stop charge command. charge ring lights go solid blue, then go off and stay off, and evse goes from blinking to solid blue.

Interesting observation about 'Stop Charging'. I just tried this also as my car's charging was complete at 80%, but blue ring was still pulsating. I opened Fordpass to the charging screen, pressed 'Charge to 100%', then after it had indicated it was charging, pressed 'Stop Charging'. The ring stopped pulsating, and after a while it turned off. I am thinking the bug is keeping the charge port active but not really charging the main battery, but just drawing power from the 12V battery unnecessarily.

I think I will wait a while before taking it in for the TSB 24-2094 as noted above. There may be some more programming changes.

OP
OP
zvez

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Interesting observation about 'Stop Charging'. I just tried this also as my car's charging was complete at 80%, but blue ring was still pulsating. I opened Fordpass to the charging screen, pressed 'Charge to 100%', then after it had indicated it was charging, pressed 'Stop Charging'. The ring stopped pulsating, and after a while it turned off. I am thinking the bug is keeping the charge port active but not really charging the main battery, but just drawing power from the 12V battery unnecessarily.

I think I will wait a while before taking it in for the TSB 24-2094 as noted above. There may be some more programming changes.
Using the "stop charging" button was how I dealt with the issue for the four months or so before the fix came out. It's been perfect since the fix.

Frankis843

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Using the "stop charging" button was how I dealt with the issue for the four months or so before the fix came out. It's been perfect since the fix.
I recall hitting the stop charge on the app and then the charge resuming a few minutes later.

OP
OP
zvez

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag

The car was built in July of 2023, it's a Premium AWD X.

Charging thus far, with two exceptions, is with Ford's travel charger using the 110 pigtail. (The exceptions are two Volta/Shell free 240v charges in the local Wegmans grocery store/other retailers complex - first time was just to dip my toe into public charging, second time was a spot was avaialbe and the car needed a little juice. No problems. In both cases I terminated the charging when doen getting groceries.) My ChargePoint 240v evse is being installed next week.

I have my home charging limit set to 80%. I have FP set up, with the % charge limit set on FP, it seems to work. No time limits set on charging, I'm retired so don't particularly worry about particular windows ... when I absolutely don't want any charging, I simply unplug things.

Back to the issue, after seeing this thread I decided to pay more attention to what the car was doing. In my most recent home charge, eventually FP said charge reached 80%. After a time lag from having signaled 80% reached, FP indicated charging was complete, both in written message and via its icons.

But the charge ring indicator in the port was still flashing blue and the Ford mobile evse was still flashing blue. As I understand the manual, flashing blue indicates charging is underway. FP, however, did not register any further increase in charge % or estimated range.

I also checked inside the car and the % charge and estimated range agreed with FP readings. It also said on dash that it had reached the set charge level. Ford.com 'dashboard' agrees with estimated mileage but says charge is 98% which I take to be the LVB and not the HVB which is at 80%.

I understand I've not added knowledge to this thread ... I've just shared my hard earned experience, šŸ˜Š, over 3 1/2 weeks and 300 miles of ownership. My options seem to include 1) decide this issue doesn't indicate something that's broken enough to fix , or conclude 2) something isn't quite right and out of an abundance of caution schedule an appoinment with the Ford store and come equiped with a printout of the page in this thread that shared some detail from Ford. I'm inclined to go with #2 but don't feel it's hyper urgent to get it checked.

That said, question, am I missing something that indicates this really is a current or potenially major problem that ought to addressed ASAP?

best regards to all,
it certainly is in the window of production affected by the TSB, and your description is spot on. It's not an urgent major problem but definitely an annoyance. I didn't like to have to remember to unplug or "stop charging" everytime I charged. And the onboard charging system running continuously until you hit stop charging or unplugged bothered me in terms of some degree of energy wasted and unneccessary wear on parts.

Me, if I knew a fix existed for it, had reasonable confidence in the dealer I'd make an appt. Word of advice tho, take it NOT fully charged, (ie maybe around 60%)just because the dealer is probably going to try to check to see if they can recreate the problem on their level 2 charger. At some point, tho who knows when, this fix will probably appear as an OTA.

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I recall hitting the stop charge on the app and then the charge resuming a few minutes later.
To be candid, my car made a lier of me and did just what you described.

A thought, perhaps incorrect, I had was that, since I don't have any charging times blocked out, and since when I got in the car to check the dash reading its estimated mileage went down suggesting some juice was sucked from the battery, the car decided it was a bit under 80% and decided to top up (even though the % had not moved off 80 in the visual indicators).

I'll try it again.

Meanwhile I've decided I am going to give a dealer a call, describe the situation, and set up an appointment.

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
it certainly is in the window of production affected by the TSB, and your description is spot on. It's not an urgent major problem but definitely an annoyance. I didn't like to have to remember to unplug or "stop charging" everytime I charged. And the onboard charging system running continuously until you hit stop charging or unplugged bothered me in terms of some degree of energy wasted and unneccessary wear on parts.

Me, if I knew a fix existed for it, had reasonable confidence in the dealer I'd make an appt. Word of advice tho, take it NOT fully charged, (ie maybe around 60%)just because the dealer is probably going to try to check to see if they can recreate the problem on their level 2 charger. At some point, tho who knows when, this fix will probably appear as an OTA.
Thank you. Good advice on the state of charge. I shall follow your suggestion, Chris.

OP
OP
zvez

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
To be candid, my car made a lier of me and did just what you described.

A thought, perhaps incorrect, I had was that, since I don't have any charging times blocked out, and since when I got in the car to check the dash reading its estimated mileage went down suggesting some juice was sucked from the battery, the car decided it was a bit under 80% and decided to top up (even though the % had not moved off 80 in the visual indicators).

I'll try it again.

Meanwhile I've decided I am going to give a dealer a call, describe the situation, and set up an appointment.
dead giveaway that it's a problem, look in fordpass for charge info. where it shows the kwh charge rate, when it reaches the threshold it will show something like "0.01" kwh charge rate, it will literally stay like that until it's unplugged before the fix. That particular bug seemed to go away where when you hit "stop charging" it'd stop and then start back up a few minutes later.

rreddy3

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dead giveaway that it's a problem, look in fordpass for charge info. where it shows the kwh charge rate, when it reaches the threshold it will show something like "0.01" kwh charge rate, it will literally stay like that until it's unplugged before the fix. That particular bug seemed to go away where when you hit "stop charging" it'd stop and then start back up a few minutes later.
I reran the 'stop charge' experiment from FP after driving the car a bit this afternoon.

I gave it a couple of hours in the garage 'to chill' before I plugged it in. It was only about 75 in NoVA this afternoon so that may not have been necessary. I let it charge for 50 minutes per the log before terminating the charge. It was charging at about 1kw which is normally what I see with the Ford EVSE / 110V pigtail.

After terminating the charge, I verified that the charge ring had gone lights out and EVSE was solid blue. I left everything plugged in and gave the car over an hour to think things over before checking it. When I went back in the garage to check on the car, the charge ring was still lights out and the EVSE was still solid blue. I rewarded the car with, "good car, good car" in a high-pitched childlike voice while patting its cute little fender. :)

The result of this experiment may suggest that when it restarted this afternoon, my guess that it was responding to having been drawn below 80% while I was in the car checking settings by topping off may be correct (or not). It also suggests that with no intervening human interference it obeyed the terminate charge command and did not restart (at least not within an hour) a charge. At that point I decided to simply unplug everything and call it a day.

Not sure what this proves other than it appears it may be responding correctly to the terminate charge command.
Sponsored