Charging over 80% daily

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Hi I have ordered ME premium extended, ice white. This would be my first electric vehicle.

My plan is to plug it in over night and use it as daily driver. I am hearing, best battery charging is between 15% - 80%. Anything below and above is not very good for battery.

so if I plug it and leave it over night, it may charge to 100% daily. Is that not good for battery? Do I need to remind and unplug every time battery reaches 80%

Thank you all
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Charge to 90% daily (Ford recommended) and the car has a schedule feature that will stop it at your predefined limit so you don't have to go out to the garage and unplug it.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Hi I have ordered ME premium extended, ice white. This would be my first electric vehicle.

My plan is to plug it in over night and use it as daily driver. I am hearing, best battery charging is between 15% - 80%. Anything below and above is not very good for battery.

so if I plug it and leave it over night, it may charge to 100% daily. Is that not good for battery? Do I need to remind and unplug every time battery reaches 80%

Thank you all
You're not understanding charging. 80% is for a DC fast charger.

Spend some time reading the forum before delivery. You can also download the manual at owner.ford.com.

OP
OP
kkgg

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
Charge to 90% daily (Ford recommended) and the car has a schedule feature that will stop it at your predefined limit so you don't have to go out to the garage and unplug it.
Oh now that makes sense to me. Thanks

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Thank you all
With the Mach E once you charge at a location you can set the maximum charge level and the car will stop chargig when it reaches that. The software can be a little wonky so some people have trouble at first but once you figure it out its easy. While it is absolutely true that lithium ion batteries prefer to be kept within the 20% to 80% charge window, the Mach E software actually "reserves" part of the battery so as a user you only "see" about 89% of the true capacity of the battery. That is, the extended range battery is actually 99 kwh, but the software only lets you deplete the battery down to 6 kwh or so, and only charge up to about 94kwh - so to a user it has a "useable" range of 88kwh. To make it easier on users the car reports the state of charge of the usable range as 0% when the battery actually has 6kwh, and 100% when the battery has 94kwh. For the standard range battery the actual size is 75.7 kwh but you can only access 68kwh.

The end result is that as a user you really can charge to 85% or 90% of the usable range most of the time, and occasionally go to 100% before you have a long trip to make. In general you shouldn't let it drop below 15%, but occasionally you can go lower as long as you charge it soon afterward and don't leave it at that low state of charge.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
You're not understanding charging. 80% is for a DC fast charger.

Spend some time reading the forum before delivery. You can also download the manual at owner.ford.com.
No, he is correctly referring to the best practices to ensure battery longevity.

Oh now that makes sense to me. Thanks
No, he is referring to the fact that the car significantly slows DC fast charging when it hits 80% state of charge. You were right that you shouldn't charge a battery to an absolute 100% of its capacity. However, as I stated above the Mach-E reserves a portion of the battery from use so that it is less harmful to the Mach E to charge to "100% of usable capacity". However, it is better for the longterm health of the battery to charge to 90% or less, which is what Ford recommends in the manual

OP
OP
kkgg

kkgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
With the Mach E once you charge at a location you can set the maximum charge level and the car will stop chargig when it reaches that. The software can be a little wonky so some people have trouble at first but once you figure it out its easy. While it is absolutely true that lithium ion batteries prefer to be kept within the 20% to 80% charge window, the Mach E software actually "reserves" part of the battery so as a user you only "see" about 89% of the true capacity of the battery. That is, the extended range battery is actually 99 kwh, but the software only lets you deplete the battery down to 6 kwh or so, and only charge up to about 94kwh - so to a user it has a "useable" range of 88kwh. To make it easier on users the car reports the state of charge of the usable range as 0% when the battery actually has 6kwh, and 100% when the battery has 94kwh. For the standard range battery the actual size is 75.7 kwh but you can only access 68kwh.

The end result is that as a user you really can charge to 85% or 90% of the usable range most of the time, and occasionally go to 100% before you have a long trip to make. In general you shouldn't let it drop below 15%, but occasionally you can go lower as long as you charge it soon afterward and don't leave it at that low state of charge.
Thanks for the explanation

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
On a side note it can start to feel intimidating having a BEV, but once you get used to things it is a snap. I wholeheartedly agree with @RickMachE above when he said to spend some time on the forum learning about road tripping, home chargers, etc. However, you'll see a fair number of complaint posts, some of which are some serious issues. Don't let that dissuade you: the number of people with serious issues is proportionally extremely small.

Anyway, here is a link to some topics that might be helpful in getting you started:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/midwestern-hello.8851/post-228100

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I'd be interested to seeing a comparison to any other similar(?) battery and it's daily charge schedule.

My laptop is plugged in and the battery is at 100%, 100% of the time. My cellphone on the other hand charges to 100% every night and discharges to 30%, 25% during the day.

How do these behaviors relate to the EV battery regimen?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'd be interested to seeing a comparison to any other similar(?) battery and it's daily charge schedule.

My laptop is plugged in and the battery is at 100%, 100% of the time. My cellphone on the other hand charges to 100% every night and discharges to 30%, 25% during the day.

And how long will your laptop battery last you if you unplug it?

Which cellphone do you have? iPhones now have an intelligent charging feature where they learn how often you plug and unplug them. They then try not to charge to full until right before you unplug them.

The car also has some intelligence built in (hence the charge schedule) but it also has a larger buffer than your laptop and phone (The car is designed so the battery lasts longer than a cellphone or a laptop hence the battery warranty).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

The batteries in those devices don't last more than a couple of years :)

By contrast the batteries in a BEV are guaranteed to have AT LEAST 70 percent of their capacity after 8 years

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

Batteries on electronics degrade just as much, but it’s less an issue given how long they are meant to last compared to a car.

For example, my iPhone has lost 5% capacity in a year and a half of ownership. That level of loss on annual basis would not be acceptable on a car since we don’t expect to have to replace the battery for many, many, many years.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging over 80% daily 5B550CF3-9932-4A1D-A65A-A1E005957D55