cjljr41

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e Premium 4X, '23 Escape Platinum Hybrid
Country flag
Has anyone here who's been fortunate to sit in a Mach-e taken the opportunity to see if a larger-sized iPhone lies flat on the charging pad?
Sponsored

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
There is a wireless charging pad in my wife’s Ford Explorer. Our iPhone 11’s and our son’s iPhone 8 Plus fit on it, no problem (only one phone at a time obviously). I think the Mach-E pad will be similar.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Only the left side of the pad has a charger, right? I've only ever seen a phone on that side charging, and the right side of the raised line down the pad is much smaller. Had hoped there would be 2 charging spots like the MY. With most new phones supporting wireless charging it's nice for the passenger to be able to plop their phone down as well.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Only the left side of the pad has a charger, right? I've only ever seen a phone on that side charging, and the right side of the raised line down the pad is much smaller. Had hoped there would be 2 charging spots like the MY. With most new phones supporting wireless charging it's nice for the passenger to be able to plop their phone down as well.
I wonder how much drain on the overall range it is to leave a phone charging on the wireless pad. It may be negligible, but I just don’t know.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Only the driver-side pad supports Qi charging. The rationale was that the passenger wouldn't be inconvenienced to plug in their phone since they may be picking it up and using it during the drive.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Only the driver-side pad supports Qi charging. The rationale was that the passenger wouldn't be inconvenienced to plug in their phone since they may be picking it up and using it during the drive.
That describes my wife. Nose buried in her phone while I chauffeur her around town. It's like going somewhere with a teenager. On the bright side......the complaints about my driving has disappeared. :)

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I wonder how much drain on the overall range it is to leave a phone charging on the wireless pad. It may be negligible, but I just don’t know.
Don't worry about that at all. It's negligible.

A fast qi charger can deliver 15W max. Let's be very conservative and say the charger's efficiency is 60%, meaning it consumes 25W to charge your phone at 15W.

On a SR Mach E, that will take more than 24 hours of active charging to make a 1% dent on the 68kWh battery. Note that I say "active charging", not "putting it on the pad". The charger consumes much less battery when the phone is above 90% full. Even a phone with a huge battery (iPhone 11 Pro Max, 15Wh) will complete charging in less than 2 hours (assuming you leave the display, but playing music and/or using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay).

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
But the passenger will be inconvenienced by having to plug in their phone every time they pick it up to use it during the drive.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
But the passenger will be inconvenienced by having to plug in their phone every time they pick it up to use it during the drive.
the GF only ever uses her iPad in the passenger seat so it's Official Certified (tm)(R) Lightning (tm)(R) cable all the way anyway.

I understand this is a very specific use case.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
the GF only ever uses her iPad in the passenger seat so it's Official Certified (tm)(R) Lightning (tm)(R) cable all the way anyway.

Aren't iPad's all going to USB-C? Which the Mach-e does have.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Current iPad Pro uses USB-C not lightning. I believe the Mach-E has a USB-C slot.
Sponsored