Charging with Ford Wall Unit is so LOUD!

Mach-E Momma

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach-E
Occupation
Cake Decorator
Country flag
I had an electrician install the Ford Wall unit and we plugged it in for the first time and I couldn't believe the sound that the fan makes as it's charging my ME. I wasn't sure if something was wrong with my car, or charger or what, so I took my car to a friend's house and used the mobile unit to plug into her 240V plug and it was super quiet. I am considering removing the wall unit and returning it (the dealer is NOT happy) and just having my electrician put in a plug. Before I do that, my husband is wondering if there is a way to program the Ford Wall unit to only use 30amps so the fans don't kick on or if it's even worth keeping the wall unit. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I had an electrician install the Ford Wall unit and we plugged it in for the first time and I couldn't believe the sound that the fan makes as it's charging my ME. I wasn't sure if something was wrong with my car, or charger or what, so I took my car to a friend's house and used the mobile unit to plug into her 240V plug and it was super quiet. I am considering removing the wall unit and returning it (the dealer is NOT happy) and just having my electrician put in a plug. Before I do that, my husband is wondering if there is a way to program the Ford Wall unit to only use 30amps so the fans don't kick on or if it's even worth keeping the wall unit. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Check the owner's manual for that EVSE. I believe that unit can be set to deliver 30-32 amps if you prefer a slower charging speed. And yes......faster charging speeds generate more heat and more heat can cause the fans and chillers to come on depending on the temperature of your battery pack. Sometimes parking the car in a confined space (such as a garage) makes it more difficult to cool down the battery and amplifies the noise.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I didn’t know this was a thing, do all EVSEs have fans for cooling? From OP’s description, I’m pretty sure she is not referring to the noise that comes from the Mach-E itself when charging.

I have never heard my Chargepoint Home Flex make a noise - I charge at 32amps.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I didn’t know this was a thing, do all EVSEs have fans for cooling? From OP’s description, I’m pretty sure she is not referring to the noise that comes from the Mach-E itself when charging.

My Mach-E can be loud while charging from the mobile charger at 32A in my garage. It depends on environmental and vehicle conditions during charging. See @SnBGC's response above.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
My Mach-E can be loud while charging from the mobile charger at 32A in my garage. It depends on environmental and vehicle conditions during charging. See @SnBGC's response above.
Yes, my Mach-E always makes a noise from the moment I plug in to charge. But it seems constant, for example, not like how a computer fan rises and falls in speed based on what you are running on your PC.

Maybe then I misunderstood OP, if she means the noise is coming from the Mach-E. My Mach-E always makes a noise, but I have never had it vary no matter what the outside temperature is. I have only ever used three chargers for it, however, the Ford Mobile Charger with a 110v outlet, my Chargepoint Home Flex at 32 amps, and a Schneider EV Link L2 charger of unknown amperage.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Agreed. The MME is louder than other EVs when charging or conditioning. Know not why.
I am guessing that it is its design engineering, hope not anything else.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
My MME hums like an old garage refrigerator when it charges. And that’s fine because it is in my garage.

The OP is complaining about fan noise from the Ford wall charging unit. I would say that’s another reason to just use the mobile charger. The mobile unit is silent. Very rare that anybody needs the slightly faster charging speed. Why not save the money?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
My MME hums like an old garage refrigerator when it charges. And that’s fine because it is in my garage.

The OP is complaining about fan noise from the Ford wall charging unit. I would say that’s another reason to just use the mobile charger. The mobile unit is silent. Very rare that anybody needs the slightly faster charging speed. Why not save the money?
There aren't fans in the FCCS though. Right? It's an outdoor all weather enclosure. Maybe it has some electrical hum, but odds are that the noises from the Mach-Es cooling systems will be far louder.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

Pretty sure the OP is referring to the car. I am not aware of any residential EVSEs with cooling fans.

OP
OP
Mach-E Momma

Mach-E Momma

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Mach-E
Occupation
Cake Decorator
Country flag
Yes I am referring to the fans in my car that are constantly on while it's charging at the 48a from my Ford wall unit. The unit itself doesn't make any noise. Sorry for the confusion.

Timelessblur

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD Premium Extend Range RR
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
Are you talking about the Mach E making the noise or the wall charger making the noise?
It is very different here as the Mach E even on the ford mobile wall charger can and will kick on the full fans for cooling. Big time if you start charging after driving for a while on a hot day as the batteries are hotter.
I know on my 40 amp home charger the Mach E fans can kick on at a random time. Freak me out one day when I was in my garage and it just kick on all at once.

Now if it is the EVSE that is a different story as I do not own the Ford Wall charger. I am using a Grizzle charer. I will say it does get warmer when the things been charging my car for a while but 40 amps of power does generate a fair amount of heat.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The Ford Connected Charging Station is Silent. The Mustang Mach E makes an incredible assortment of sounds. It definitely is NOT like plugging in your MacBook Pro and the experience of charging a car was not what I expected before I got my car. I can see how people would be startled. I’m glad I’m not near my garage when it’s making all of its charging noises - that is a very noisy pony when it has the feed bag on ?

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
check out this https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/evse-48a-hardwired-vs-40a-plug-in.4416/ and other threads- use search tab above.
Battery conditioning uses minimal amounts of energy compared to charging. But I keep my EVs plugged in in colder weather( I have my EVs in a garage, so not critical). My theory is not to use the EV battery for this.
The conditioning is not continual. It is periodic as needed. And you have to listen hard and close ( unless you are a 5 year old male with that excellent hearing [those were the days!]) to even hear it.
Unfortunately not everyone has a garage, but if you do have one, you should consider making a place for your MME in it during the cold and hot of it.
Range (currently) will always be affect by temperature. Cold weather affects range (negatively) more. Electrons prefer to be comfortable. Recall your science lessons about temperature and molecule movement. Warmer, not hot, weather will see longer ranges. My Bolt has ranges of 270+ in summer and around 238 in winter.
Where oh where did all the super conductivity scientists go?
Clipper Creek:
HCS-80, 64 Amp, Level 2 EVSE, 240V, with 25 ft cable
The HCS-80 is one of the latest high quality, high power, low priced charging stations from ClipperC..

$969.00
hardwire ( more for future proofing - truck, VW van, more/longer daily usage than everyday normal, etc.)
or
HCS-50P Plug-in, 40A, L2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 14-50
ClipperCreek now offers the HCS-50P, a plug-in 40 Amp electric vehicle charging station with th..

$659.00

hardwire a bit faster, but the HCS-50P works great.
The charger in the MME should charge faster (than my Bolt with a smaller charger, and the Bolt does fine). Remembering the charger is in the car, the EVSE is just what it says Electric Vehicle SUPPLY EQUIPMENT
(from previous post)
Sponsored