Checking out alternatives

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I considered the Kona as well. The Mach E is going to be a lot more car with better tech and driving experience.
The Kona EV is a compliance car in the USA. Hard to impossible to get any outside of the various CARB states. I tried when we lived in Kona for obvious reasons. :)

Reactions: ARK

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Went to VW to get info on ID4.. Talked to manager and was told they were hoping for 25,000 reservations, but only 5000 were in as of Oct 9th. Assumed US reservations. Manger mentioned they were hoping for reservations like the Mach-E, but guessing it's not panning out. I'm not too confident they will be stocking the ID4.

Nissan Ariya, no chance of getting one here. They don't even stock Leafs. Pretty much said there's no interest in electric. Then again, I don't ever remember seeing a commercial for a leaf. They flat out said they won't be stocking Ariya's.

Chevy Bolt, didn't bother. No AWD so that was a quick nope from the wife. Before I ordered the Mach-E, I was considering a new Corvette. But between the fact they don't exist, and when they do; its 10k minimum over MSRP and its not practical at the moment; I'll reconsider if they go electric and offer AWD in the future.

Kona EV, didn't bother.. same deal as the Bolt. Unlikely they even sell them.

Tesla, forget it. closest service center is about 150+ miles. I'm also paranoid about the what if something goes wrong situation.

Audi E-Tron.. closest dealer is about 75+ miles away. Kinda Pricey.

Mach E, sticking with my order, this Ford dealer seem to be most interested in selling EV's. Although I got the feeling most if not all sales they have are from their own employees (5 pre-orders).

Not sure what I'm getting at here, guess I'm kinda shocked at the lack of interest in EV here. Unless dealers here are going out of there way to not sell them.
I think a lot of it just comes down to price point. Even after tax credits, EVs tend to be around $15k more purchase price than a comparable size/type of ICE. It's just hard for a middle-income buyer to justify spending $35k for the equivalent of a $20k vehicle to get BEV. Bolts and Leafs and Konas are fairly low level vehicles that compare with $20k-25k ICE.

On the other end, people with lots of money aren't gonna care much about fuel cost savings. They just buy whatever high-end car the want.

The Mach-E hits a sort of sweet spot. It's a really cool vehicle that justifies a $45k-$60k price for people with upper-middle wealth.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
You could find one? Last year, I walked into a Hyundai dealer cold and drive away 4 hours later with a Kona EV. Fun and comfortable car! Biggest complaint is the understeer when flooring it. I can’t wait to test drive a MME. ?

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
True. But, it is a fun EV to drive around in even if it’s got no sex appeal.

The Kona EV is a compliance car in the USA. Hard to impossible to get any outside of the various CARB states. I tried when we lived in Kona for obvious reasons. :)

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
Funny, just got this email:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Checking out alternatives Screenshot_20201023-163734

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As a number have posted the Hyundai (kona) is a viable option. If you have the time to wait the next line from Hyundai (45 concept) on a dedicated ev platform should be even better. Good things are coming.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
I had a reservation in for the ID.4 for about a week before I realized its far too boring of a car for me

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I had a reservation in for the ID.4 for about a week before I realized its far too boring of a car for me
While I haven't jumped ship from my mach-e reservation yet, I will be interested to see what the final version of the id.4 gtx (or whatever it ends up getting called) will look like. I will also be keeping any eye on the audi q4 e-tron as I like audi interiors and you normally tend to get more premium features for your money when compared to the sister VW offering to justify the price increase.

The mach-e gets a coupe of dings from me in regards to interior features especially at the price point, however I am hopeful that OTA will at least enable software features to be updated and make improvements to bring it more inline such as 3d-360 camera display rather than entry level basic top down it currently has.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
While I haven't jumped ship from my mach-e reservation yet, I will be interested to see what the final version of the id.4 gtx (or whatever it ends up getting called) will look like. I will also be keeping any eye on the audi q4 e-tron as I like audi interiors and you normally tend to get more premium features for your money when compared to the sister VW offering to justify the price increase.
I have an ID.4 reservation just to keep option open, but if I pass on the Mach-e I'll most likely hold out for the Q3 e-tron. I've mostly owned VWs and Audis and much prefer the feel of European cars to American ones.
Sponsored