mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yes, but it is twice as fast and might serve those who don't own their homes or have situations like a friend of mine whose 240V line would take a convoluted route. For condos and apartment dwellers that could be just enough to charge for 12 hours. The same is true for destinations: hotels/motels and other vacation spots might be more likely to make outlets available if they aren't perceived as "special".
Yes, 240V at 15 amps is twice as fast as 120V at 15 amps. But a lot of 240V outlets in the EU are not rated for 15 amps, they are rated for less. And while it is faster, it is still very slow. I don't think there is that much difference.

My point was that if everyone is driving an EV, and everyone has a 240V 50 amp outlet to charge their EV, and hotels do the same, AND we have a true 600 mile range car, we don't need more DCFC chargers.

There are some crazy people who want to drive 24 hours straight, but most people will be ready to stop for the night before they get to 600 miles. But if not, the few people who need a charge before they stop for the night will not crowd out the available chargers, and our charger problem will cease to exist. Even with today's infrastructure.
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Except that 110 years ago they also got to choose between electric cars and gas powered ones.

Literally the same choice.

You also can still ride a horse today if you like!
The horse people preferred the electric because they were less frightening to their horses.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You also can still ride a horse today if you like
Indeed you can. And in Waimea (aka Kamuela) Hawaii you can also take your horse to the trot up window at Burger King.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Consumer Preference for ICE 1642124693612

* No, this picture was not staged, although there was a good reason for horses to be in that area (local shopping center).

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
My point was that if everyone is driving an EV, and everyone has a 240V 50 amp outlet to charge their EV, and hotels do the same, AND we have a true 600 mile range car, we don't need more DCFC chargers.
The problem with 600 miles is that it's not always 600 miles. Cold weather, high speed, wind, elevation, etc. can cut the range dramatically. For different people it will be different. In my case, since I refuse to drive more than 500 miles a day, I would want a car with EPA 1000 miles, to be on the safe side.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
The problem with 600 miles is that it's not always 600 miles. Cold weather, high speed, wind, elevation, etc. can cut the range dramatically. For different people it will be different.
Yes, I agree. I was referring to 600 highway miles. You want 1000, but my point is 600 will be enough to resolve our charging infrastructure concerns.

shadowsjc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD + Ext Range
Country flag
EVs are still a relatively unknown for the majority of people. My mom (close to retirement age) gets range anxiety on my behalf, even though it's really not that bad once you actually own an EV. But until 1) EV charging stations are more common around the country, and 2) battery tech improves so that you're not spending 20-30 mins at a "fast" charger, then the public in general will continue to feel reservations about owning an EV