Colatini

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Has anyone had an issue with the plastic pieces of the radiator control shutter in the front bumper. Drove over a speed bump and it cracked in the middle. It seems to be a design flaw as it it attached to the whole bumper and there seems to be some flex in the bumper but the plastic is solid and brittle.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken 5D099894-4660-4976-B73E-E85872AAF8AE
Sponsored

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
Questions:

1. How fast were you going?
  2. Was it a speed bump or a curb?
  3. Do you have any markings on the bottom of the front lip that shows you hit something?

OP
OP

Colatini

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Standard speed over a speed bump. 15-20km

there are no scrapes markings of any kind on the front or underneath.

Squab-e

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium X RWD, 2014 Tacoma
Country flag
This happened to me this week! The left middle fin fell off (fortunately it fell back into the car). Warranty won't cover it and I don't want to pay the $1500 estimate I got for labor and parts - considering the rest of the shutter control is in perfect condition. For now, I'm taping/gluing a machine bolt to the broken fin and it seems to be working out surprisingly well. BUT if anybody has an extra radiator control shutter, I will buy the single fin off of you!

20220808_061546_2.jpg

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
This happened to me this week! The left middle fin fell off (fortunately it fell back into the car). Warranty won't cover it and I don't want to pay the $1500 estimate I got for labor and parts - considering the rest of the shutter control is in perfect condition. For now, I'm taping/gluing a machine bolt to the broken fin and it seems to be working out surprisingly well. BUT if anybody has an extra radiator control shutter, I will buy the single fin off of you!
If it fell off, it should be warrantable. If something hit it, insurance could come into play.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
The black plastic section doesn't flex. It lists for ~$700. Requires hours of labor to remove lower lip, bumper, then black section and replace it. If fins break, but mechanism and mounting is intact, they can be replaced.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken 20220808_061546_2
Looks like bottom fin has issues also.

Squab-e

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium X RWD, 2014 Tacoma
Country flag
Looks like bottom fin has issues also.
the lower fin popped out, but the clip was still intact so I was able to snap it back into place no problem. The middle fin is totally intact...minus the clip part (which was totally broken off!).

Here's to hoping somebody miraculously has an extra radiator control shutter hanging around!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I hit a small animal with our 2021, and broke 2 of the 3 right shutters. Bottom lip has a minor crack on the bottom, but since it was insurance claim I had them replace everything. I kept the old bottom lip, as well as the pieces of shutter and shutter mechanism that didn't break, because the difficulty in getting just a shutter was pretty clear to me. Body shop manager said every vehicle Ford makes with shutters is like this, they don't flex and break really easy. If they were non-unique, I'd consider selling one, but they aren't.

Here's the numbers off the vanes. I suspect they are common across many models. A junkyard may even have them.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken left hand vanes

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I hit a small animal with our 2021, and broke 2 of the 3 right shutters. Bottom lip has a minor crack on the bottom, but since it was insurance claim I had them replace everything. I kept the old bottom lip, as well as the pieces of shutter and shutter mechanism that didn't break, because the difficulty in getting just a shutter was pretty clear to me. Body shop manager said every vehicle Ford makes with shutters is like this, they don't flex and break really easy. If they were non-unique, I'd consider selling one, but they aren't.

Here's the numbers off the vanes. I suspect they are common across many models. A junkyard may even have them.
It is a shame Ford doesn't let owners have access to a 3D print file so they can replicate their own part (assuming they have access to additive manufacturing device).

There are many small pieces here and there where something like that would make sense.

AndyR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E X
Country flag
It is a shame Ford doesn't let owners have access to a 3D print file so they can replicate their own part (assuming they have access to additive manufacturing device).

There are many small pieces here and there where something like that would make sense.

Are these from the driver's side or passenger side? I just lost the passenger side bottom. I'm considering 3d printing one. I may take of the drivers side, and mirror it if needed.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Are these from the driver's side or passenger side? I just lost the passenger side bottom. I'm considering 3d printing one. I may take of the drivers side, and mirror it if needed.
If you click on the picture, each vane says LH or RH. These are LH.

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
This happened to me - I have no idea how but my theory is that there was ice frozen to the shutters after a recent New England ice storm and it tried to open on being plugged in - cracking the top vane in the process and causing the whole assembly to fall apart.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9433

Local dealer quoted me 1600 dollars to fix it - when all I needed was a new top LH vane. I think this is because Ford doesn’t list each vane as a part number - you have to buy the whole front grille shutter assembly and then they have to install it.

I considered 3D printing a new part, or buying the assembly on eBay (found one for under 300 bucks) but lucky me, I reached my arm inside the bumper and found the broken piece.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9597

I researched plastic welding on YouTube and bought a plastic weld kit on Amazon.

My weld came out quite good - though I recommend doing this in a well ventilated place. Even with a nearby window open my house smelled like plastic.

I made a simple jig by drilling some holes in a block of wood to hold the pieces together, and cut a piece of wire to match the piece:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9599

Then I melted the plastic with the weld tool:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9600

After cleaning it up with some sandpaper, it was ready to reinstall. I was able to snap in the bottom vane, then the top, but to put the middle one back in I really needed to doors to open.

I had to take the car to a fast charger to get that to happen and stay open long enough for me to snap the middle vane back in.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9601

All better - took it home and tested it by plugging in and watching the self test:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Control shutters on front Bumper broken IMG_9603

Problem solved - spent 40 bucks and learned a valuable skill instead of giving a dealer 1600 dollars.

Last edited:

pr0t0c0l_dr01d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Select eAWD
Country flag
@Ford Motor Company This assembly is far too poorly constructed to survive the rigors of winter in New England. In fact, it’s probably fair to say that having this poorly made plastic assembly so close to the road is asking for customers to have expensive repairs. IMHO this is a design flaw that shouldn’t be in the next gen Mach E.
Sponsored