Scorpy2643

First Name
Scorpy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER AWD, 2018 F350 Platinum
Country flag
I charge exclusively using excess solar generation. It’s always plugged with 85% set as my limit. I don’t really think about whether it’s charging unless I’ve drained it to 30% or less
Sponsored

AtomicInternet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS, Mach E Premium
Country flag
I charge to 80%, but I really don't even need that much. I was planning on getting a 240v charger when I bought my MME, but I can't justify it. I get back up to 80% overnight on 120v on all but a few occasions.

Electrifiedsince2013

First Name
Kristin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang MachE, 2020 Mustang Convertible
Occupation
health care
Country flag
In warmer weather I typically charge only on the weekend, when the sun is shining (I have solar without a battery). My daily mileage is about 25 miles. I think the lowest I’ve gotten with this system is around 30%

In colder weather I plug-in over night every night. I have it set to 90%, and allow for preconditioning.

I’ve only ever charged to 100% a couple of times when I was going to be on a longer trip.

I live in Michigan and I think this system makes the most sense for me and how I drive.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't worry about charging every day to 85%. Probably won't make any significant difference whether you wait an extra day or two or charge every day, given the large top buffer on the Mach E battery. The key advantage to charging every day is that you have more range in the event you need to unexpectedly drive a longer distance.

Stanmckinney

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang convertible
Country flag
Short answer: OBD-II dongle with Car Scanner Pro app. It gives an estimated SoH figure.

Long answer: You can't really. Lithium batteries are complex... you need to measure and check each cell's IR (internal resistance) and measure voltage differences between cells and to perform a capacity check you need to discharge to some nominal 0% and charge to 100% and measure the kWh input via some fluke meter (my guess) and compare that kWh number to when it was brand new.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Charge to 100% about twice weekly. This on a 21 Premium ER. Have only charged once on a DCFC. At 31K miles have not noticed any decrease in range. Summer full charge range is still about 295 miles. ( And that is on non-EV tires).
Summer range still up to 325miles on Mich CC2s with “proper” grippy non-EV tyres.

Winter range around 230.

As for EV tyres🤷🏼‍♂️ What is that all about🤷🏼‍♂️

Somebody, obvs an expert on subject (valeter), overheard saying “They [EVs] have to have special tyres that are fireproof.”

I laughed like a drain.

Fireproof rubber and oils etc, now there’s a development😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
Battery state of health gone up from 95.5% to 96% today 😁

Must be all the DCFC charging and other charges to 100% I do.

evfinder

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
Country flag
I usually charge up about once a week when I get down to below 60%. An overnight charge on 120V gets me back to between 80 and 90%. If I plan to go on a longer trip I plug in overnight, or sometimes 2 nights in a row, and get the car to 100%.
Sponsored