Daily charging

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
So what are your thoughts on when we should change the rear drive unit fluids of our MME's?
😂 😂 🤪
Take whatever the manual says, and divide by 4.3. 4.3 is the constant divisor for attitudinal recalculation of fledofious guidelines for EV maintenance recommendations. I received this guidance from some software engineers. 🤣
Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Lithium batteries like to be at storage charge which is typically 50% SOC (what that is for the cell type - ignoring BMS buffers - which is 3.8V cell for NMC/NCA cells).

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/some-new-data-from-research-on-tesla-model-3-cells.311793

Tesla owner with real world data. The degradation isn't too much worse outside the ranges but calendar aging is unavoidable - as in life.

TLDR: Stay around 50-55% SoC.

EDIT: Added image. See how if you stay between 45-55% SoC you can reduce degradation.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Daily charging 1695056354422

Last edited:
Reactions: UW2

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Take whatever the manual says, and divide by 4.3. 4.3 is the constant divisor for attitudinal recalculation of fledofious guidelines for EV maintenance recommendations. I received this guidance from some software engineers. 🤣
Would that be the same ones responsible for trip data in FordPass?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
From what I understand, it is best to charge to 85% or so.

However, if your daily commute is around 20 miles, maximum, is it best to merely charge every other day, but still to 85%, versus doing it daily?

Curious on everyone’s opinion…
Consensus - just do you!

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Would that be the same ones responsible for trip data in FordPass?
What a silly question. Trip data in FordPass, before it was removed (without telling us it was removed), used a totally different calculation. Actual distance driven was taken and submitted to a prolyfrentic equation to calculate the differential liquidity of the actual range as determined by flagmono. How do you not know that?

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What a silly question. Trip data in FordPass, before it was removed (without telling us it was removed), used a totally different calculation. Actual distance driven was taken and submitted to a prolyfrentic equation to calculate the differential liquidity of the actual range as determined by flagmono. How do you not know that?
Sorry - just woke up and have not had my morning cofffee.

shelnian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I charge to 70% when the charge level is in the 30% range or I have a planned trip. Even for planned trips I charge back to 70% unless I need more range to complete the trip. I'm retired and usually just drive locally.

MachEasy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Jeep
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
90% charge....but I charge every couple days when I'm down to 60% or so. Still enjoying the novelty of feeling like I'm "filling up" when I plug it in.

Teslaeata

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red one
Country flag
From what I understand, it is best to charge to 85% or so.

However, if your daily commute is around 20 miles, maximum, is it best to merely charge every other day, but still to 85%, versus doing it daily?

Curious on everyone’s opinion…
When I like, how I like, how much I like😁

Rightly, or as I expect I’m going to be told wrongly 😜 I refuel as I did when I was an ICE-age man.

Night before road trip requires 100% charge overnight on 22kW unit in garage no question. (My average day trip is probably around 300 miles over the 66,000miles ‘Stangy’s covered so far)

Don’t like to see under, say, 75 miles left on the clock.

Rarely charge to anything less than 100% and aim to do so on a night before I am at least going 15mile round trip for a MaccyDees breakfast following day, if no trip due on day following uncomfortably charge level I’d charge to within an hour of full charge, I’m not entirely an animal 😁

Don’t get hung up about recommendations, requirements theorem on battery care
etc life is just too short to worry about this along with everything else in this world!

Don’t worry about the 25% of my charge spend amounting to c5,500kWh on DCFC.

If I want/need charging I have it🤷🏼‍♂️

After all, I paid for Stangy, it’s mine and if I screw up the battery, the SoH stat for which is showing no evidence I am yet doing so, I’ll repair or pay to have it repaired.

I just learned to SKI - Spend the Kids inheritance!

I like to just drive, use & enjoy ‘Stangy and don’t overthink things too much

😁

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How do you check battery health?
Short answer: OBD-II dongle with Car Scanner Pro app. It gives an estimated SoH figure.

Long answer: You can't really. Lithium batteries are complex... you need to measure and check each cell's IR (internal resistance) and measure voltage differences between cells and to perform a capacity check you need to discharge to some nominal 0% and charge to 100% and measure the kWh input via some fluke meter (my guess) and compare that kWh number to when it was brand new.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Charge to 100% about twice weekly. This on a 21 Premium ER. Have only charged once on a DCFC. At 31K miles have not noticed any decrease in range. Summer full charge range is still about 295 miles. ( And that is on non-EV tires).
Sponsored