Day 1-3 with GT - Half charge round-trip and power outages!

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Picked up my GT from the dealership the day of a family round-trip (unplanned timing). The dealer forgot to charge the car so it was at 53% on pickup.
1) Drove 30 miles to get home from the dealer. Couldn't drive fast due to range concerns.(starting at half charge)
2) quickly packed the car to not miss our ferry
3) Drove 70 more miles to the ferry. Couldn't drive fast due to range concerns. (starting at half charge)
4) had 33 miles left
5) missed the ferry, went and found a charger while eating dinner.
6) learned how slow level 2 chargers are. Got 8 miles of range during dinner.
7) got on the ferry returned two days later, car had lost 1 mile of range
8) Drove to my first super charger. Didn't park close enough so quickly plugged/unplugged the car. The software failed and was stuck in a "charging" state even when unplugged so couldn't put it in gear to move it closer. Had to let it charge with the cord stretched to the location. After getting to 80% it again worked.
9) Windstorm hit, couldn't drive fast because the roads were really bad
10) Arrived at home with 40 miles left. Power is out. Can't charge the car. Power is expected to be out for a week. I have a generator so COULD plug it into a 110 if I really wanted to.

All the crazy above and I still love the car. Its so fun to drive even in whisper. So happy with my purchase! Can't wait to drive it like a jerk. ;)
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Dealer is required to deliver the vehicle with 100% charge. That's a big miss on their part.

Make sure you always push the button, either next to the port on the vehicle, or on the display, before removing the handle.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Dealer is required to deliver the vehicle with 100% charge. That's a big miss on their part.

Make sure you always push the button, either next to the port on the vehicle, or on the display, before removing the handle.
Yup. Pressing the button next to the charge port on the car stops charging and then unlocks the handle. The handle is locked in place for safety - quickly pulling out the connector while it is running 150kw at 400 volts DC would make a serious arc.

OP
OP

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag

I did, I think it was connecting when I disconnected and that messed it up.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Wow, talk about a lesson in range anxiety lol. Glad everything worked out, so far

karioka

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Route 1
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
The safest way to do this is to stop the charging in the Ford Pass app then disconnect.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How is that safer than stopping the charge from the charger's screen?
No safer than using the charger screen, the Mach E screen or the charging button next to the port.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
No safer than using the charger screen, the Mach E screen or the charging button next to the port.
Agreed. I would say that the only method that could potentially be less safe would be doing it with the manual unlock cord under the hood.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

I learned something new, and this made me think I was doing something wrong, so I checked the manual.

You only have to do this for DC fast charging.

If using the Ford supplied charger it says to just remove it (no need to push a button to stop charging first).

I do have 2 followup questions though.

1. Do you leave the car plugged in all night, even if it’s charged to the suggested level?

2. Do you leave the charger plugged into the wall 24/7 even when not charging?

Manual doesn’t really specify. Just got my car last week and got a 240v 60a circuit put in today.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I learned something new, and this made me think I was doing something wrong, so I checked the manual.

You only have to do this for DC fast charging.

If using the Ford supplied charger it says to just remove it (no need to push a button to stop charging first).

I do have 2 followup questions though.

1. Do you leave the car plugged in all night, even if it’s charged to the suggested level?

2. Do you leave the charger plugged into the wall 24/7 even when not charging?

Manual doesn’t really specify. Just got my car last week and got a 240v 60a circuit put in today.
In extreme temperatures, leaving the car plugged in is important because the Mach-E will use the climate control to either cool or I think also heat the battery. Some people in extremely hot climates, like Phoenix, reported seeing messages this summer of the Mach-E telling them to plug in if possible because of extreme heat.

I believe the Mach-E will try and protect its battery even if not plugged in, but maybe can mount a more vigorous response if it is plugged in. In Los Angeles this summer, I always parked outside and never saw this message and plugged in only once or twice when the forecast was above 100 because I didn’t want to risk it. However, I never noticed a power draw on my ChargePoint Home Flex when I did this in low 100 degree heat.

On the cold end, I think we’re talking about below freezing, but I don’t recall anyone saying they saw some equivalent cold weather message telling them to plug in. Though most people got their Mach-Es after the worst of winter was over this year.

Between extreme cold and extreme heat, you absolutely don’t need to leave the vehicle plugged in.
Sponsored