mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Is summer DCFC pre conditioning a thing?

Does the pack get too warm to DCFC optimally and require cooling prior to charging?

That is the scenario I am more likely to run into as my DCFC sessions are almost always in warm to hot to extremely hot weather.

A DCFC session after driving 75 for 2 hours in 98+ degree heat.
No. Preconditioning is only used when the battery is cold. (I think less than 50 F, but Lee has posted it before. Bad memory here...)
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you run the heater while you're in the process of using a DC fast charger, the only thing that goes wrong is it takes longer to charge, right? You're not doing damage to any components?

The best way to use DC fast charging is to leave the car on, heaters off?
You definitely want to turn off E-Heat when doing a DCFC. The heater is needed to improve DCFC charging speed, and if you are heating the cabin, it will have a significant impact on the car's ability to do that.

The car should be off when doing a DCFC,

I don't think anything will be damaged if you have E-Heat running, but just don't do it. Go into the Walmart to keep warm. Or build a little campfire on the pavement next to your car and roast some marshmallows. 🔥

2010GT

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang GT, 2023 Mach-E Select AWD
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Country flag
Okay cool. Yeah I'm going to try to do everything the right way. I'm not going to take up extra time at the DCFS, because presumably someone else needs to use it after me anyway. Okay, so bottom line turn off the heat on the way to the charger, turn the car off while you're at the charger, put a sweater on and play with your phone.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay cool. Yeah I'm going to try to do everything the right way. I'm not going to take up extra time at the DCFS, because presumably someone else needs to use it after me anyway. Okay, so bottom line turn off the heat on the way to the charger, turn the car off while you're at the charger, put a sweater on and play with your phone.
Welcome to the early adopter crowd. One day, these kinds of compromises won't be necessary.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Is summer DCFC pre conditioning a thing?
No, but the car will keep the battery temp cool on it's own. No need to heat a heated battery. But it will cool the hot battery (might affect AC in the cabin a bit if the pack is super hot. AZ 110+ parked in the sun for hours) Your trip will not be an issue and the pack will be at FC temps anyway.
Sponsored