Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
Well I have 4.1.2 and have a 200 mile trip tomorrow in 25 degrees. We’ll see. I never use Ford Nav but I guess I will tomorrow!

What temp should the battery be and how can I track it? What’s the best app? I have the OBDLink MX.
I think they are BS…Ford would be advertising this if it was in the update!!!!!
Sponsored

Ravensfan1996

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I think they are BS…Ford would be advertising this if it was in the update!!!!!
Exactly, this is a huge feature that Ford would want people to know about. We got emails from ford about big features like youtube, and Alexa, and and new UI, but they keep preconditioning on the fly a secret?

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Seems like according to certain insiders here, this (DCFC preconditioning) is actually happening now
It was supposed to come out separately as I recall. Whether it did/will/won’t or got rolled into another PowerUp I don’t know. But I find it difficult to believe that Ford would keep quiet about it. That serves no purpose whatsoever imo.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I did it once on a cold day 20m out and it seemed to have better charge performance. I wouldn't put money on it though as I limit MME journeys to 300 miles at tops in any one direction so I don't hit the same chargers.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
What’s the use case for preconditioning at a DCFC charger? Aren’t those usually public chargers you’re just stopping at for a brief period of time? Honest question. I only use preconditioning at home so the car and battery are warmed up before the first start of the day.

ebeponyan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
What’s the use case for preconditioning at a DCFC charger? Aren’t those usually public chargers you’re just stopping at for a brief period of time? Honest question. I only use preconditioning at home so the car and battery are warmed up before the first start of the day.
Since batteries need to charge more slowly at lower temperatures, the general idea is to heat up the battery on way to the to a charger for faster cold weather charging. This will divert heating power to the battery as you drive, so you're sacrificing some efficiency and possibly some comfort in order to charge considerably faster (say 120kw vs 70kW). It's a cool feature for Winter roadtrips.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
It was supposed to come out separately as I recall. Whether it did/will/won’t or got rolled into another PowerUp I don’t know. But I find it difficult to believe that Ford would keep quiet about it. That serves no purpose whatsoever imo.
Maybe the functionality was included in 3.6.2 but the indicator that shows it's working is in a future IPC update that hasn't come out yet. It would make sense that Ford might not say anything until it's fully functional.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Maybe the functionality was included in 3.6.2 but the indicator that shows it's working is in a future IPC update that hasn't come out yet. It would make sense that Ford might not say anything until it's fully functional.
3.6.2 touched a lot of modules just for a GOM accuracy update, so I feel like this is probably the case

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Must use Ford Sync Navigation and have the DCFC as the destination or waypoint and have excess heat capacity in the system
That's unfortunate, but not too surprising as the Ford nav is a subscription service that people will need to start paying for from year 4 on. They probably want to make it more attractive to get people hooked on it, hoping it can generate revenue for them. Which will be tough to do when there's Android Auto and Carplay nav systems that work well and remain free.

A manual precondition button would be nice, but it's not a big deal to me. We do a lot of road tripping and a lot of DCFCing (almost 25k miles worth now), but DCFC charging times really haven't been an issue for us. Saving a few minutes would be nice, I guess, but eh.

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
That's unfortunate, but not too surprising as the Ford nav is a subscription service that people will need to start paying for from year 4 on. They probably want to make it more attractive to get people hooked on it, hoping it can generate revenue for them. Which will be tough to do when there's Android Auto and Carplay nav systems that work well and remain free.

A manual precondition button would be nice, but it's a big deal to me. We do a lot of road tripping and a lot of DCFCing (almost 25k miles worth now), but DCFC charging times really haven't been an issue for us. Saving a few minutes would be nice, I guess, but eh.
It’s implemented through nav on other vehicles too. Hyundai doesn’t have manual activation for it on I5

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s implemented through nav on other vehicles too. Hyundai doesn’t have manual activation for it on I5
That's the case for almost all EVs. I think Lucid and the Hummer are the only EVs I've seen that let you manually activate preconditioning.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
(Raises hand): this may be a stupid question, but what exactly IS this feature that everyone is so concerned about?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
(Raises hand): this may be a stupid question, but what exactly IS this feature that everyone is so concerned about?
Batteries charge slowly at a DCFC when they're cold. Preconditioning will heat up the battery when the car knows you're on your way to a DCFC so that it's warm when you get there and can charge faster.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
So this would be some kind of control in the car that you’d manually activate to say “I’m heading to a DCFC charger now; start preconditioning the battery”?
Sponsored