GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
If you have to push on it, it’s best to do it on the feature lines near the fenders where the metal is strongest.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The latch is in the middle, and you suggest pushing on the two sides. I can't make the physics of that work in my head.

He said, "DON'T" push on it. Anywhere!
Because it’s a rigid structure that moves together!!

And it’s not that flimsy like he’s suggesting. Most people don’t open their frunks often enough to be able to modulate closing it softly to not slam into the striker and strongly to actually latch it. When you need to push, common sense would suggest to do it from the strongest point, not the weakest regardless where it’s at.

Here’s another tidbit for you: when auto makers install power cylinders to automate opening and closing, they don’t position them in the center, rather on the sides and all the way in the back.

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It would be kind of awkward having a power cylinder in the middle when trying to load something, wouldn't it?

I still don't agree with you. There's a difference between power cylinders slowly drawing something closed from the sides and blunt force trauma.
Who said you need blunt force? You are merely pushing on it to close it. I’ve never heard of anyone damaging the outer hood panels while closing them.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you think about it, this is what probably makes the frunk difficult to close. It's basically a small plastic box with a seal around it. Where does the trapped air exit from when you close it quickly?
There is a drain hole at the bottom of the frunk that the air will escape when closing the hood.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agreed, but is the hole big enough for that sudden amount of air? Compared to closing a standard trunk that's far larger and not similarly sealed because of the back seat etc., I would argue that's why it's so hard to close.
I have had the entire frunk bucket out several times working on the car. Closing the hood is no different if the bucket is in or out. My hood closes easily no matter what.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I love this forum. We will argue over anything!

It is a fine touch to close the frunk without slamming. Trouble is if you're too light and it only half latches, you really have no choice but to press on it to close. I use both hands along the front edge of the lid where the curve and the fold make it stronger, then press firmly and quickly down to latch. Same method I used on the Tesla (devised after denting the frunk a little).

OP's tech is, I'm sure, correct in all he says, but that doesn't mean it's 100% practical. Caveat emptor, YMMV, and all that, but the take home here seems to be "be careful however you close it, and if it really causes problems take it to Ford, they're better at doing it (and know how to fix it if they screw it up)."

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Perhaps your isn't sealed anymore...
As of next month, I will have owned a Mach-E for 3 years. I am very familiar with the car inside and out having torn apart almost every inch of it. I store towels, cleaning supplies, the portable charger among other things in the frunk. At one time I installed a complete air suspension setup in there including the air compressors, tank and air management computer system. I use a foam canon and pressure washer to wash my cars and a high pressure air cannon blower to dry them. I have never found water in the bucket yet. Everything on the outside of that seal routinely gets dusty and I have to clean it after washing the car but nothing inside the bucket gets dusty or wet.

The first thing I do when I bring a car home is re-align doors, hood, lift gates and even sometimes body panels if I have to. On both of my Mach-E's I only had to align the frunk on my previous one and the lift gate on my current one.

Last edited:

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In case some did not click the link, there is some fun source data buried there:
Ford Mach-E - Steel.org
This is a great document. Most body structures are designed similar to ice. The one that stood out for me is the reinforced floor panels and the lower part of side panels to protect the battery. This is why the Mach-E performs so well in side crash testing.

Mach T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you think about it, this is what probably makes the frunk difficult to close. It's basically a small plastic box with a seal around it. Where does the trapped air exit from when you close it quickly?
It seems like the drain holes in the bottom would let the air out as well

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
and the lift gate on my current one.
This is on my list because of a coworker repeatedly saying ‘I just can’t believe they sent it out of the factory like that’

damn it. Now I see it every time I look at the back of mine.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I opened my frunk one time in 2 years. Had the hardest time closing it, and vowed never to open it again.
Sponsored